Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Horse Hide Slim Key cases are now for sale on my Etsy shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dnugget View Post
    It looks fantastic, and I'm super tempted to order one! Just wondering, are those spots on the case water stains?
    Not water stains. The horse hide tends to have a unique grain that looks almost tigerstripeish at times. It's less noticeable before applying the conditioner/wax. I apply conditioner and 2 coats of beeswax paste to each piece before assembly. It looks really dark at first, but lightens up as it dries, then takes on a darker and richer patina with time and handling. Each piece is a little different, which is really a part of the beauty of it.

Comment

To illustrate what I mean about variation in color, and the patina that develops with age and use and the way the grain comes out, here are the remaining 7 horsehide key cases, and mine that I have been carrying for 2 weeks now. I think you can guess which one is mine.

DSC_0003 by mattface, on Flickr

Comment

Those look really great, Matt. I'm still trying to figure out if I can get this to work with my current key situation (yeah, its complicated).

Comment

Received mine yesterday, looks great and is lighter than pictured but understand the patina comes with time. One note I'd make it that not all keys will fit on this bad boy... 1 of 2 'regular' keys of mine wouldn't fit, and my mail key wouldn't fit on it. Even before trying keys on it, I thought the screwposts seemed pretty thick for what they're being used for. I may have some copies of my keys made so I can put a set in this, but just wanted to throw it out there in case others hadn't thought of this (like I hadn't).

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            Received mine yesterday, looks great and is lighter than pictured but understand the patina comes with time. One note I'd make it that not all keys will fit on this bad boy... 1 of 2 'regular' keys of mine wouldn't fit, and my mail key wouldn't fit on it. Even before trying keys on it, I thought the screwposts seemed pretty thick for what they're being used for. I may have some copies of my keys made so I can put a set in this, but just wanted to throw it out there in case others hadn't thought of this (like I hadn't).
            I have found that some keys won't fit on the 3/16" Chicago Screw post. The vintage ones used a narrower "key post". I'm actively looking for narrower posts, but can't find them anywhere. My supplier says they haven't been able to get them for over 2 years and they've been looking. When I'm able to find them, I'll be happy send a set to any of my customers who want them. In the mean time there are a couple of relatively simple solutions. Probably the easiest for most people is just to get a copy made as the hardware store key blanks seem to have bigger holes. The other alternative is to ream the hole of your existing key slightly with a file, drill bit, or a reamer. this is actually pretty easy, as keys are made from soft brass, and the amount they need to be enlarged is quite small.

If anyone has any leads on this elusive bit of hardware I would really love to know where to get it.

Comment

These look great, Matt!
              Is it possible to personalize them with initials or a name on the back?
              Also, is the horsehide version sold out?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by farhad View Post
                These look great, Matt!
                Is it possible to personalize them with initials or a name on the back?
                Also, is the horsehide version sold out?
                I've got more leather coming tomorrow, and plan to be cutting on Friday, so hopefully I will have more for sale this weekend.

I've talked with my friend Kelly of Mayday Studio who helped me wit the die making and cutting about imprinting these, and it's an idea we'd both like to experiment with. For now though I'm just selling them as they are. If I'm able to do custom imprinting, I'll probably add it as a custom item on my shop.

Comment

The horse piece I ordered is very nice, but did not yield as many key cases as I'd hoped. I have bunch more on order and a limited supply of horse hide cases for sale now. I also ordered a couple small pieces of Horween Cromoexcel to experiment with, so I should have a few black and brown Cromoexcel cases for sale soon too.

Comment

Untitled by mattface, on Flickr

Just got a big shipment of leather for the key cases! 5 Pieces of Horse, and 2 small pieces of Horween Chromexcel in black and brown to experiment with. I hope to be able to get al least 50 horse, and 10 each of the Chromexcell.

Comment

Ordered one of the Horsehide cases from your Etsy site, looking forward to getting it!

Comment

Horsehide, and Chromexcel pieces ready for die cutting. by mattface, on Flickr

Latest shipment of leather yielded 59 pieces of #horsehide, 8 pieces brown Horween Chromexcel & 7 pieces black Chromexcel hopefully I will get at least 70 good keycases out of this batch just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Comment

Added Horween Chromexcel in Brown and Black to my selection of available leathers tonight.

Comment

You're killing me man. Gonna have to pull the trigger one of these days. Any cordovan plans?
                            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                              You're killing me man. Gonna have to pull the trigger one of these days. Any cordovan plans?
                              I'd love to get my hands on some shell cordovan, though I'm really not even sure where to get it. Might be very expensive, but beautiful. Scraps from shoe making might be ideal, since I only need small pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                                Should have a Dappered special that includes a 4 pack of Topper with each order (*see mattface's location)
                                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Working...
                                X