Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Horse Hide Slim Key cases are now for sale on my Etsy shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Horse Hide Slim Key cases are now for sale on my Etsy shop!

This is a project I've been working on slowly for a while, and it's finally come to fruition!

Slim Horse Hide Leather Key Case

Patterned after a vintage key case I found at an antique store, and hand crafted from 5-7 ounce horse hide with nickel hardware and a hand rubbed beeswax finish, this old style key case is overdue for a revival. Not only can it slim down the key bulge in your pocket, it can protect delicate electronics such as cell phones from key scratching.

The case is best suited to hold between four and six keys on it's two 3/16" by 1/2" posts. A ball chain is included to accommodate larger car keys or electronic fobs. The heavyweight horse hide will fit tight at first, but as it breaks in it will loosen up and develop a beautiful patina.

Also available in oak tanned leather

I'm running an introductory special on these this week. 20% discount with the code "HORSEY"

The code will work on the oak tanned cases as well, in fact it actually works on anything in my Etsy shop.

Comment

These look really great. Having a little trouble trying to use the code though.

Comment

My bad. the code is fixed now.

Comment

No worries, can't wait to get mine!

Comment

Ordered one also. Thanks Matt!

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

Thanks to everyone who ordered today! All the orders that came in before 5pm EST have been shipped out.

Comment

is there a way to accodomate the electronic fobs?

Comment

Originally posted by cuddytime View Post
                    is there a way to accodomate the electronic fobs?
                    They won't fit inside the case, that's part of the reason for including the ball chain. My daughter keeps her house keys and school keys in the case, and clips it to a larger keychain of ALL her keys when she needs more than the bare minimum. That's another good use for the ball chain.

Comment

Any chance you can provide dimensions for the case? It looks relatively small, but I just want to figure out how it relates to my mess of keys now (not looking to add bulk).

Comment

It's 3.25" long, by 1.25" wide, by about .6" thick. It will hold a total of about 6 normal sized keys, and take up roughly the same amount of space as one modern car key with an electronic lock button built in.

Comment

I received my key case from Matt last night and I thought I'd post a review as well as some suggestions.

I bought the case for 2 main reasons:
                          1. I loved the depth of the color and beeswax finish on the first picture in this thread as well as in the Etsy store.
                          2. I wanted a slim key case that would reduce keys poking out in my pockets and protect them from scratching my wallet/phone. I only carry 3 keys plus an electronic fob with no car keys or bulky keys.

As far as reason number 1 goes, I didn't find the case to be nearly as rich and deep of a color as the advertised picture. I may hit it with beeswax to get a deeper color, I haven't decided yet. Here's a photo of mine that I feel represents the true color:

As for reason number 2, I definitely feel that the case could be slimmer. The middle button that closes the case is unnecessarily bulky. I really think that it should be made into a flat snap which could reduce the width by about 25%. The leather does feel sturdy though, and it will certainly protect my phone and wallet.

3 keys fit perfectly size-wise. I haven't tried 6, but I can see how they would fit with 3 facing one way and 3 facing the reverse way. However, since I only carry 3, the bottom screw adds unnecessary bulk. I also obviously can't remove it since the leather has been hole-punched. If possible, it'd be great to offer an option with a sewn bottom that lies flatter. I may also go to my hardware store and look for a shorter screw of the same width.

Overall, it's a pretty neat case with a simple design at a good price. If you're not worried about maximal slimness, then it will be a great option.

Matt - Not sure if this is possible, but if you can do a custom case, let me know. I'd be looking for the following:

1. A flat, non-bulky snap to close the case
                          2. A case that's slightly longer (approx. .5") with one edge sewn closed rather than screwed. My electronic fob would fit perfectly in the bottom of a case like that. The stitching would have to be very close to the edge, or the edge would have to be slightly wider to accommodate the fob.
                          3. On the top screw, I'd like something much thinner so that I could run my keys directly through that without having to use the chain.

Let me know if we can work something out, otherwise I may be tempted to take up a leatherworking hobby myself (though my free time is pretty limited). Thanks.

Comment

It looks fantastic, and I'm super tempted to order one! Just wondering, are those spots on the case water stains?

Comment

A couple of responses to you AJG.

First, the color. There does tend to be some variation in color in the various pieces of horse leather they are undyed, so you are getting the natural leather color, and yours looks to be one of the lighter colored ones, but one thing I'm really loving about the horse hide is it responds really beautifully to oils, and handling. The one pictured in the nice rich color is mine, and it took on that color over the course of being carried around for just one week. So don't worry about the color too much I think you will find yours will take on a really beautiful and unique patina in time.

As for the bulkiness, the horse hide is a little heavier than the oak tanned leather, so it will lay a little flatter initially, but I think you will find that as you carry it around it will become more supple and flatten to the shape of your keys. If you want the slim it down the hardware you can easily replace the 1/2" Chicago screw with a 3/8" one which works ok for 2 keys, but would be too tight for 3, a 1/4" screw would work nicely on the side with no keys on it. I may offer an option of 3/8" or 1/2" screws in the future depending upon how many keys you want to cary.

These were the best snaps I was able to find that would attach to leather this thick, and I don't think they are particularly bulky, but I will be keeping my eyes out for better hardware, and am always open to suggestions for improving the design.

Comment

Working...
                              X