Looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
    FWIW, and from someone who checks Swap and Shop daily: if that Kiton cashmere had been in my size (or if that G&H were in my size), I'd have climbed over bodies for it if it were listed comparable to a SuSu or whatever.
    that is another thing. I look at most postings but don't see much in my size.

Comment

I also suspect that a lot of guys are in the same boat, meaning they have already experimented with different items and are now looking for that perfect item that both is exactly what they are looking for and the right size and fit. I see plenty of things that are decent on this buy and sell part of the site, but nothing that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to add anything to my closet just to fill space. Also, like above, I don't see a lot in my size.

Comment

I have not bought or sold anything on here but I browse and would be open to it, but here's my issues....

Size. I'm not average. I wear medium to large talls for shirts, ideally about a 40 to 42 L to XL suit, 26.5 to 27 sleeve length, 15.5 x 38 shirt, 33x34 pants. This stuff doesn't seem to come up often. You average size people really ruin things for me..

Price. Again I am not a regular seller or buyer, but I feel stuff is way overpriced. Can you really get people to pay 50% of the new cost for used items? Buying without being able to try them on, relying on pictures and who knows how accurate measurements for fit, with no way to return items that don't fit, or were measured incorrectly, or weren't described accurately, or smell like they've been stored in a spetic tank for a year? I feel like it's gambling. What are the odds this item will work out and what am I willing to bet? It's no where near 50% of new cost for me...And I feel too much like a jerk to give lowball offers on items just to see if they'll go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaWuttae View Post
          I have not bought or sold anything on here but I browse and would be open to it, but here's my issues....

Size. I'm not average. I wear medium to large talls for shirts, ideally about a 40 to 42 L to XL suit, 26.5 to 27 sleeve length, 15.5 x 38 shirt, 33x34 pants. This stuff doesn't seem to come up often. You average size people really ruin things for me..

Price. Again I am not a regular seller or buyer, but I feel stuff is way overpriced. Can you really get people to pay 50% of the new cost for used items? Buying without being able to try them on, relying on pictures and who knows how accurate measurements for fit, with no way to return items that don't fit, or were measured incorrectly, or weren't described accurately, or smell like they've been stored in a spetic tank for a year? I feel like it's gambling. What are the odds this item will work out and what am I willing to bet? It's no where near 50% of new cost for me...And I feel too much like a jerk to give lowball offers on items just to see if they'll go for it.
          You really have to know the buyer is likely a standup person [doing business on here or SF or Ask Andy is usually safe] or take a risk. But if I want to buy something like an Eidos jacket, I'll definitely jump on something that looks lightly used on ebay for $250 rather than paying $1100 for something new.

I don't know where you're seeing 50-percent of retail for used things. Since it was in immaculate condition, I sold a SuSu suit for $250. That was a little more than half off, though, and I could have gotten more for it because demand for that stuff is high, but I was happy and the buyer was happy.

I'll do half off or less for NWT, but not used.

Comment

I wasn't saying you in particular ask for 50% of retail, just in general I feel like I see that often.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
              You really have to know the buyer is likely a standup person [doing business on here or SF or Ask Andy is usually safe] or take a risk. But if I want to buy something like an Eidos jacket, I'll definitely jump on something that looks lightly used on ebay for $250 rather than paying $1100 for something new.

I don't know where you're seeing 50-percent of retail for used things. Since it was in immaculate condition, I sold a SuSu suit for $250. That was a little more than half off, though, and I could have gotten more for it because demand for that stuff is high, but I was happy and the buyer was happy.

I'll do half off or less for NWT, but not used.
              Agreed. My only two listings are each less than 30% of retail. Hell, the PRL pants retailed for more than the asking price for the entire lot... hah.

The only ads that really bug me are those with a bunch of the same item in different sizes. I'm just not a fan of the blatant flipping in those ads. All of my listings have been due to pairing down my wardrobe or reselling items that just didn't work (fit, change of style, etc). I've definitely had A LOT of them over the years, but am finally going to be done soon.
              Last edited by wsupjs; February 8, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaWuttae View Post

You bring up a good point in that buying without knowing how it'll fit is a huge deterrent: that's why items here don't sell well unless they're on the dappered-approved list. However, there are quite a few brands and items that I would definitely buy lightly used at 50% of retail. Stuff like shoes hold their value terribly, but for watches, suits/sportcoats, and outerwear, there isn't all that much of a difference between lightly used and brand new.
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Working...
                X