Looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for?

I've been on Dappered Threads for a long time, and I've tried to bring goods to the swap and shop pages that you guys would dig. I guess things have changed since I last was really active on the site because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in high-end tailoring.

So ... what are you guys trying to find? Is the Dappered audience averse to used clothing? I'd like your input so I can adjust my offerings.

Thanks,
    Jon

I'll chime in here: As someone who has bought and sold on this forum before, the amount of windowshopping with PMs and asking for more measurements with no followthrough is off-putting, I know for me, its more worthwhile to just sell on ebay.

As a buyer, I'm not averse to used clothing, but it becomes really hard to find anything good when the same threads are being bumped from almost a year ago and clog up the front page. Also, selling things in packages of 5+ items or so seems to have become a bigger thing versus selling individual quality pieces, what're the odds your buyer is the exact same size as you and has the exact same needs as the items you're selling? The last point is price, I think that we, as a group, overvalue what we paid for an item when compared to what an actual good deal on a used item would be.

Comment

TBH I think the forum readership size just isn't at that critical mass where you're going to get a lot of overlap between "people looking for X item and willing to buy it pre-owned from a stranger online" and "people with X item and looking to sell it to a stranger online." There are certain "grail" items, like Billy Reid peacoats or standard AE shoe styles in good condition, or whatever, that people might be more likely to jump on because it's something they've wanted for a long time but not at regular prices. I don't think people get tempted in the same way by more run-of-the-mill items like shirts or trousers.

And, the further you go outside the core "Dappered" brands that get discussed on the main site and that people have actually owned and can reasonably assess the value of (or even more importantly - they can predict how that brand will fit), probably the harder it's going to be to find those buyers willing to take the risk buying pre-owned from a private seller online.
      Last edited by LesserBlackDog; February 4, 2017, 11:28 AM.
      Ben

Comment

I think the only thing I've sold on here was a Suit Supply suit. And that was gone in 15 or so minutes. Not much love for cashmere Kiton ... even at a similar price point.

Comment

I think Ben is probably onto something, SF is prob more of the place for vintage/used Brioni or Kiton. Here you'll likely get more interest in current, modern cut brands like SuSu, JCrew, etc. There's plenty of interest in nicer things; I'd say, looking at the WIWT trends and non-sale threads, it's probably the priciest I've seen this place's tastes since I've been here. However, older brands frankly don't get much interest generally. Why spend $300 on that old Kiton when there's a brand new SuSu sportcoat that's more current look for at or under that price and still reasonably good construction?

Comment

I'll admit that I am not a frequent poster; but I am on the forum multiple times a day. I have sold a S&M sportcoat on here that, unfortunately, just didn't quite fit me right; and have inquired about a few items to purchase. I agree that I get very frustrated with the "wardrobe"/"lot" selling and also what seems to be spam. I'll get excited when I see something in my size pop up as unread, only to notice that it is the 6th time that someone has "bumped" up the post in the last 3 months.

My thought: if you have an item you think someone else would appreciate, post it. But, if you're not getting interest, then odds are it isn't going to sell.

I've sold on eBay and I've sold on here; I'd prefer to sell here. I know it will go to someone who values it, the transaction is smoother, and (yes) I don't have to deal with fees. But, anymore, I almost feel like the hassle here is more.

That said -- any AE size 9s or 42/44R you have, let me know haha.

Comment

There isn't a lot of traction for selling anything on here outside of the "dappered" brands... hah. In all seriousness, those brands (SS, S&M, AE, etc.) seem to sell really fast, but nothing else moves. I don't think it's an issue with new or used, but my belief is similar to [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION]. Most members are comfortable with what they know, and don't like stepping out into others, even if those brands are perceived as better.

I also find this site is the most aggressive, pricing wise. I always list items at what I believe to be very reasonable numbers (especially on lots, which I give a serious discount per item since I'm only paying shipping once, rather than multiple times), and still receive countless lowballs. I don't know if that is part of the dappered mindset, but it does get old.

Personally, I have zero issue with accurately described use clothing, and actually prefer it for certain items (high end tailoring, outerwear, and shell shoes that are very lightly used). However, I'm only looking for one thing right now (shell wingtips, ideally boots), so I won't be much help for your sales. Best of luck, Jon!

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                I think the only thing I've sold on here was a Suit Supply suit. And that was gone in 15 or so minutes. Not much love for cashmere Kiton ... even at a similar price point.
                My first reaction is that I don't often see something I consider a great deal on swap and shop. There's probably a bias in that the great deals go away within a few hours, so all that's left on the threads are not so great deals.I've seen people try to sell shoes that have been worn 20-30x for 80% of retail. On SF you can find brand new shoes that go for 80% of retail.

Second, you're gonna have a tough time selling higher end brands on here. Dappered caters to the more budget conscious, so for starters not many members would even entertain a suit that retails for 5k. Second, there's a lot of groupthink on here in terms of preferred brands. If a member asks about what shoes to buy, the answer is always AE. Suits it's either SS or Spier & Mackay. My take is that the "dappered" mentality is that you want to purchase the best quality to price ratio product. If you can get a stitched construction shoe for $200 (AE), why would you pay $400 for Carmina or C&J, much less 1k for Lobb? Not saying anyone's right or wrong, but just in my personal experience, very few members go beyond entry level luxury because they don't think it's worth it.

For example, I remember a discussion on what suit brands to buy at $1,000+. Dappered consensus was suitsupply la spalla / Jort for RTW. Stuff like canali or corneliani, first reaction was that they're overpriced department store brands. If you had the same discussion on SF, they would overwhelming choose canali over SS as the higher quality pick.

For your specific Kiton SC, I remember taking a look at it, but the design / style looked a bit dated. I'd rather spend $400 on a SS jacket or suit I'd wear a lot, than a kiton SC that is better constructed but just isn't my style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I agree on the "brand list" mentality, and I was really just posting that Brioni/Kiton stuff for shits and giggles. Like, I have a recent Gieves and Hawkes by Belvest three-piece suit in a 44, but I know that won't get a second look (or even a first one).

As for Token's note on the price point, on SF, people are flipping NWT stuff that they got for incredibly cheap (happens to me, but not often, and that NWT Brunello Cucinelli I got for $30 isn't going anywhere near any place other than my closet). Here, people are selling things they bought retail and then wore for a bit and don't want/need anymore, but since they remember paying for the item in a retail situation, want top dollar on the secondary market.

Comment

I've had some luck on here with getting rid of gently used items especially if they're something versatile. Bowery Pants from J. Crew, some cardigans from J Crew, etc. As already mentioned, most people on here want the basics that are considered on here. The other place where gently used clothing could be popular would be Grailed but that's definitely hit or miss as well especially with low ball offers.

Part of the reason, I am not nearly active as I was when I first started my style journey is that I've personally graduated beyond entry level luxury that gets posted on here all of the time, which is probably the other reason you're not having much luck with Kiton, Canali, Brioni, etc. Those brands are great to me, but I doubt that many people that frequent here often are looking to move up the quality level for a higher price or frequent the swap and shop portion of this message board.

Comment

I guess people are gun shy as well. I've posted what I thought were Dappered-ish listings -- a killer 38 S Hugo Boss suit, size 29 Jack Spade trousers NWT. No bites.

Comment

Thanks for this interesting thread. I'll put in my two cents, from the less-educated (in a style/brand sense) side of the aisle. I read this forum every day, and I read the main Dappered site regularly (though not as religiously as I once did). But I don't read a lot of other style sites, and as a consequence I'm aware that my knowledge of other brands and their relative merits is pretty limited. So when I see brands posted here (Brioni, Kiton) that I don't know, I don't know how to value them, nor frankly how to learn more about them from any trusted source. I know there are lots of knowledgeable people on SF, but I just can't cut through the noise there to glean useful information in any reasonable amount of time.

I want to be clear that I'm not reveling in my ignorance- I admire those of you who have learned more about these things and know what they like among a wider universe of options. And as someone noted earlier in the thread, buying used is actually a good way to expand one's knowledge. Perhaps higher-end items might get a little more attention here if sellers said even a sentence or two to put them in a context more familiar to people who mainly only read this site - e.g. This is like brand X, only more Y, or I read about this on site Z and it has been great for me, but now I really only need three navy jackets and am selling the fourth :-). (In general I always appreciate it when people say *something* about the item they are selling).

I totally understand that many (most?) sellers may not want to do that, but I'm just trying to offer up thoughts about part of the audience here in the spirit of the original question. I don't know how typical/atypical I am among the readers here.

Comment

I personally dont buy used clothing or shoes anymore unless I have tried on something from the brand before. I dont even buy new stuff without trying it on unless there is a good return policy to fall back on. A good deal isnt a good deal if I end up not liking the way it feels. And if I am going to buy second hand or thrift store flips, I would rather go do the hunting myself, have the fun, and save the money. But I like doing that stuff. Not everybody does.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                            I agree on the "brand list" mentality, and I was really just posting that Brioni/Kiton stuff for shits and giggles. Like, I have a recent Gieves and Hawkes by Belvest three-piece suit in a 44, but I know that won't get a second look (or even a first one).
                            FWIW, and from someone who checks Swap and Shop daily: if that Kiton cashmere had been in my size (or if that G&H were in my size), I'd have climbed over bodies for it if it were listed comparable to a SuSu or whatever.

Comment

For me, the biggest issue I haven't purchased in this area yet is sizing and the items I would buy used. I am not buying used shoes, so that eliminates a lot of what I see posted here. Also I've yet to see much in my sizing. It always seems way too small or way too big.

I feel a lot of what else was said holds true, especially with this forum seeing to only push the same brands to everyone: SS, S&M, and A&E.

Comment

Working...
                              X