A few pairs of boots, all ~ 10.5D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few pairs of boots, all ~ 10.5D

Hi - I'm selling some of my shoes. I've put the listings on grailed, but here's the summary and links:

I'm selling some of my shoes - things that don't fit / don't get enough wear:

I'm a 10.5D Brannock - most shoes are close to fitting me.

Grailed Links with descriptions and images:

These two are very slightly worn:

* JCrew Blue Suede Goodyear Welted Bennett Chukkas 10.5D $50

* Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Wingtip Boots Black 9.5 D $150

These are new:

* JCrew X Red Wing Brick Settler Iron Rangers 10 D $200

* JCrew X Chippewa Cordovan Service Boots 10 D $150

Beautiful shoes man. If they weren't a tad small, I'd snatch a the 1000 miles and the chippewas!

Good luck on the sell.

Comment

Are the Chippewas and Red Wings slightly big or slightly small on you?

Comment

How do the Bennetts fit?

Comment

Thx - I like them too. Except for the fact that they don't fit me, and I have way too many boots already. But yeah - they're nice, thx!

Originally posted by wdcee View Post
          Beautiful shoes man. If they weren't a tad small, I'd snatch a the 1000 miles and the chippewas!

Good luck on the sell.

Comment

Originally posted by JDOG View Post
            How do the Bennetts fit?

Like others have reported for that round of Jcrew boots, they're TTS / maybe a little narrow. That's certainly my experience - I'm a 10.5D on Brannock, maybe a little on the narrow side (Chippewas are too wide for me to wear, and even 1Ks are a little on the wide side for me), and the Bennetts felt a little narrow. Not like a C or anything, but definitely on the tighter side.

Comment

Originally posted by ktm7 View Post
              Are the Chippewas and Red Wings slightly big or slightly small on you?

Chippewas are slightly long on me, like normal for boots (I'm 10.5D brannock, and most American bootmakers fit me in 10, with more toe room than I'd get in a normal shoe). My issue with the Chipps is that they're a little too wide in the forefoot, too. I had exactly the same issue with Chippewa Apaches, so I'd operate under the assumption that these fit exactly like those - just nicer leather (and it really is - not quite as not as the 1k's chromexcel, but really very nice - a little shinier / less soft than Red Wing Iron Rangers amber harness pull-up leather, but pretty close).

The Red Wings fit me perfectly, but since I already have them in amber harness, it's hard to imagine a situation where I desperately need Brick Settler. And I'm very conservative, so they're a little bright for me. If not for that, there's no way I'd sell these - they're great. Like most normal boots, most people report iron rangers run half a size long. They also say Iron rangers are on the narrower end, which I can confirm - if you're 10.5 D with a slightly narrow forefoot, like me - I'd endorse IRs. If you're foot's a little wider, I'd steer you towards the Chippewas or Wolverines (or Aldens - just sold some Indys that were similarly too long / wide).
              Last edited by BigBayesian; April 21, 2015, 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot to answer about red wings.

Comment

I dont know about others, but I went to Red Wing and had my foot mapped on their machine. My foot measures between an 11.5 and a 12. The Amber Harness Iron Rangers I have are a size 10.5 They run huge. If you check Amazon, almost everyone says to size down a full-size or more in the review section. I own the Chippewas also. I wear an 11.5 in the Chippewas as well as most other boots and shoes. I dont know if different batches of Red Wings are built on different lasts, but all I have seen are built on the no. 8 last. Just my .02
                Last edited by Shade; April 21, 2015, 05:25 PM. Reason: size correction

Comment

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
                  Chippewas are slightly long on me, like normal for boots (I'm 10.5D brannock, and most American bootmakers fit me in 10, with more toe room than I'd get in a normal shoe). My issue with the Chipps is that they're a little too wide in the forefoot, too. I had exactly the same issue with Chippewa Apaches, so I'd operate under the assumption that these fit exactly like those - just nicer leather (and it really is - not quite as not as the 1k's chromexcel, but really very nice - a little shinier / less soft than Red Wing Iron Rangers amber harness pull-up leather, but pretty close).
                  Do you think they'll be as tough to break in as IRs? And is the tongue attached in the same way as the Red Wings so that there's some unwanted pressure on your ankle?

Comment

Originally posted by shockfinder View Post
                    Do you think they'll be as tough to break in as IRs? And is the tongue attached in the same way as the Red Wings so that there's some unwanted pressure on your ankle?
                    I think they'll be about as tough to break in as normal IRs or normal Chippewa Apaches. No way they'd be as tough as the other IRs I'm selling, the Jcrew collab with the smooth leather. And yes - they have the same gusseted tongue as the IRS.

As an aside about that pressure - I wouldn't worry too much. I had a pair of Wolverine seconds whose defect was a particularly uncomfortable tongue side bump internally. Hurt a lot the first time I tried walking around in them outside. I was pretty bummed out, but by the third time I tried, the leather had conformed to my foot, and it no longer felt any different from any other boot. With malleable leather, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

That said, that has more to do with the front / top of the foot than the ankle - I'm not sure how the tongue would effect the ankle, so I think I might be misunderstanding your question.
                    Last edited by BigBayesian; April 22, 2015, 12:30 AM. Reason: added note

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                      I dont know about others, but I went to Red Wing and had my foot mapped on their machine. My foot measures between an 11.5 and a 12. The Amber Harness Iron Rangers I have are a size 10.5 They run huge. If you check Amazon, almost everyone says to size down a full-size or more in the review section. I own the Chippewas also. I wear an 11.5 in the Chippewas as well as most other boots and shoes. I dont know if different batches of Red Wings are built on different lasts, but all I have seen are built on the no. 8 last. Just my .02
                      They're totally built on different lasts. The Iron Rangers and Beckmans are built on their number 8 last, which is narrower than the one used for their moc toe boot. Their work chukkas, which have a very pointed toe, are built on another last altogether that's actually true to size. I can't speak for Amazon's reviews, but I can say that when I was first getting into quality footwear, I thought I was a full size down in IRs, too - the heel fit a little better, and there was almost enough room in the toe. Then I realized that that's how a shoe is supposed to fit - not a boot. Workboots are really supposed to have a little more room, especially in the toe, and even though at half a size down I have a fair amount of room, I'm very happy with that, even with thin socks, and I have no heel / midfoot slip anywhere in them.

My understanding is that there's also a degree to which red wing wants to sell you a big padded insole for your shoes. Which, to be fair, might be welcome if you're on your feet the whole day.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
                        They're totally built on different lasts. The Iron Rangers and Beckmans are built on their number 8 last, which is narrower than the one used for their moc toe boot. Their work chukkas, which have a very pointed toe, are built on another last altogether that's actually true to size. I can't speak for Amazon's reviews, but I can say that when I was first getting into quality footwear, I thought I was a full size down in IRs, too - the heel fit a little better, and there was almost enough room in the toe. Then I realized that that's how a shoe is supposed to fit - not a boot. Workboots are really supposed to have a little more room, especially in the toe, and even though at half a size down I have a fair amount of room, I'm very happy with that, even with thin socks, and I have no heel / midfoot slip anywhere in them.

My understanding is that there's also a degree to which red wing wants to sell you a big padded insole for your shoes. Which, to be fair, might be welcome if you're on your feet the whole day.
                        Actually, according to their website, the IR's are supposed to fit "comfortably tight" with some wiggle room in the toe like any shoe you purchase. You should always have the width of your thumb between the end of your longest toe and shoe so you dont get hammer toe when walking down declines. Also, feet tend to swell over the course of the day. This is actually known as the "rule of thumb".

"A new pair of Red Wing Heritage boots should fit comfortably tight on your foot, with enough room to freely wiggle your toes. Over time the full grain leather upper, leather footboard and cork midsole mold to your feet, creating an enduring and customized fit over time with each wear."

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                          Actually, according to their website, the IR's are supposed to fit "comfortably tight" with some wiggle room in the toe like any shoe you purchase. You should always have the width of your thumb between the end of your longest toe and shoe so you dont get hammer toe when walking down declines. Also, feet tend to swell over the course of the day. This is actually known as the "rule of thumb".

"A new pair of Red Wing Heritage boots should fit comfortably tight on your foot, with enough room to freely wiggle your toes. Over time the full grain leather upper, leather footboard and cork midsole mold to your feet, creating an enduring and customized fit over time with each wear."
                          Yeah - that's about how mine fit. But when I started with good shoes, I was of course coming from soft-artificial-cushioning shoes, and I've found most fit questions come from people with the same bias. In those, the shoe is made of thick, flexible material, so the correct fit feels totally different. When I get questions about how the most popular brands of workboots fit, I assume the person asking isn't coming from high end custom workboots, but rather from soft casual shoes. I could be wrong - they could be coming from dressier shoes, for example, but my own journey biases my perspective.

But yeah - your size in a work boot is the smallest (lengthwise) size where you can comfortable wiggle your toes / move them around, and where the boot, laced tight, involves no hitting of your toes against the front / front-sides of the boot's toe. Big sizes won't grip your foot well enough, and your foot will slide forward and hit the front. Tight sizes won't allow the wiggle room.

Comment

Chippewa Service boots have sold. Thanks for your interest, if you were interested!

Comment

Working...
                            X