FS: AE - Walnut Strands 8.5D and Burgundy Shell Cordovan Leeds 8.5E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: AE - Walnut Strands 8.5D and Burgundy Shell Cordovan Leeds 8.5E

Selling two pairs of AE, 8.5D Strands in Walnut and 8.5E Leeds in Burgundy Shell Cordovan. I love the Strands, but three co-workers on my floor have them--it's time to move on. And the Leeds were to be my first foray into the world of shell cordovan, but the E-width is just a little too big for my foot.

Uppers are in great condition, with minor discolorations. (Polish hides them on the Strands; I haven't tried that on the Leeds, but it may work there too). Soles are worn in, but probably won't need replacing for at least another couple of years, if I had to guess. I'm not the best photographer/am just using an iPhone 4, but hopefully the pictures give an idea of what I'm offering. I'm happy to provide more on request.

I'd love to get $145 for the Strands and $275 for the Leeds, shipped to the lower 48 states. $390 gets the pair. Or, make me an offer.

Price drop: Strands for $130, Leeds for $260, $350 for both. All OBO.

Comment

Is that why you haven't gotten an iPhone 5 yet because your co-workers have it?

Comment

Yup. You nailed it.

In all seriousness, though, I purchased the Strands as a "stand out" sort of shoe. If everyone's got 'em, they become less useful to me in that respect. I don't feel the same way about Park Avenues or another shoe whose utility I think of as the ability to "blend in." That's just my personal take, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
          Yup. You nailed it.

In all seriousness, though, I purchased the Strands as a "stand out" sort of shoe. If everyone's got 'em, they become less useful to me in that respect. I don't feel the same way about Park Avenues or another shoe whose utility I think of as the ability to "blend in." That's just my personal take, of course.
          Color me confused. You bought a classically designed dress shoe to "stand out"? There are probably better options than AE for stand out shoes...

Or perhaps the better question is, why do you care if other people are wearing these shoes? If you like how you look in them and they make your outfits work, why worry if the person sitting at the desk next to you doesn't compliment you on your shoes because a couple of other guys have them? In any event, this is your thread to sell them, so I'll shut up now. Sadly they are a size too small for me.

Comment

I agree that the Strands are classically designed, but my opinion is that the color and perfs really make the shoe pop a little more than other shoes--like a black captoe oxford or an unadorned dark-brown blutcher--that also fit the "classically designed" mold.

And I think your second question, well, begs the question. That is, you're assuming I like the way I look in the Strands and that they make my outfits work, but really those questions are tied up in my priors about what I "like" and what "works" for me. As I said, for the Strands, my idea was to stand out a bit; to be able to wear navy slacks and a white dress shirt and still feel like I wasn't completely "in uniform." So I did like them, but now I'm less of a fan. I would never tell anyone that my approach to dressing should be their approach to dressing. But for me, for a number of reasons, that's what drew me to them. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but I think these questions of taste are fascinating and often overlooked-- even on fashion forums!

Comment

Fair enough. I guess when I get dressed in the morning, I look myself in the mirror not me and my coworkers. So my frame of reference for my "likes" and "works" is not necessarily based on what those around me are wearing, but you're right, your ideas of "like" and "works" is different from mind and your taste is absolutely your prerogative.

It is interesting stuff though. Why do I buy certain colored/patterned ties, shirts, shoes, etc.? Very intriguing to think about it from a meta standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by proslyn View Post
                Fair enough. I guess when I get dressed in the morning, I look myself in the mirror not me and my coworkers. So my frame of reference for my "likes" and "works" is not necessarily based on what those around me are wearing, but you're right, your ideas of "like" and "works" is different from mind and your taste is absolutely your prerogative.

It is interesting stuff though. Why do I buy certain colored/patterned ties, shirts, shoes, etc.? Very intriguing to think about it from a meta standpoint.
                So meta

Comment

Working...
                X