The Knottery Grenadines @ $40 pre-order before prices rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Knottery Grenadines @ $40 pre-order before prices rise

The Knottery is offering its Grenadines at $40 if you pre-order now for delivery some time in March or April. When they are back in stock their prices will rise to $65.

http://theknottery.com/ties/grenadine-30.html

I ordered in Navy and Red. Most reviews I've read say they are good, including Put This On. It seems as if the Italian silk they use was unavailable all around because other stores like Chipp Neckwear haven't had Navy grenadine in ages.

Comment

Wish I had seen this earlier, was looking for a royal blue grenadine

Comment

Can anyone who owns ties from the Knottery provide a length measurement for me? I messaged their customer service to no avail. I'm a taller guy, so anything less than 60 inches won't work for me.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Comment

I meant to order but I forgot
          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Lankus View Post
            Can anyone who owns ties from the Knottery provide a length measurement for me? I messaged their customer service to no avail. I'm a taller guy, so anything less than 60 inches won't work for me.

Thanks in advance for any insight
            I just measured my burgundy grenadine and I think it's a little less than 60" - closer to 59". Granted, my measurement was less than perfectly precise, having been done with a stiff ruler, but I did it a couple of times and its was less than 60" each time.

Comment

Chipp Neckwear appears to have just restocked on all their grenadines. Just put in a order for my first one. $50 + $7 shipping

Comment

Keep in mind that (I believe) Chipp's grenadines are fina while the Knottery's are grossa.

Comment

Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
                  Chipp Neckwear appears to have just restocked on all their grenadines. Just put in a order for my first one. $50 + $7 shipping
                  I have a question. Why are these ties so popular along with drakes? Is grenadine a type of weave or is it a brand? How much do these ties run usually? Sorry guys I know nothing about quality ties.

Comment

Originally posted by meowmix1891 View Post
                    I have a question. Why are these ties so popular along with drakes? Is grenadine a type of weave or is it a brand? How much do these ties run usually? Sorry guys I know nothing about quality ties.
                    Drake's makes damn good ties. I own none, but Fred has done a good job explaining it elsewhere on Dappered, or here: http://vimeo.com/52417780.

A grenadine is a particular way of weaving the silk to make a tie. It gives a tie texture and depth. http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=grenadine+tie

A grenadine can be fina or grossa http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...Ties-Uncovered

Why is it so expensive? Harder to make and uses more silk. I saw a forest green one that I walked past at Nordstrom Rack for $30; I will need to go back and pick it up, I think. My wife was there shaming me, and I wasn't in the right frame of mind since it was her shopping trip. I was, as they say, slacking. But my advice would be to buy on clearance or eBay, or try the Grenafaux from thetiebar: http://www.thetiebar.com/searchresul...ords=grenafaux

Comment

Originally posted by meowmix1891 View Post
                      Originally posted by marathon View Post
                      Drake's makes damn good ties. I own none, but Fred has done a good job explaining it elsewhere on Dappered, or here: http://vimeo.com/52417780.
                      I sort of tried to explain the Drake's allure here: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post149073

Here's another great tie making video showing how Gerald and Diana at Vanda make their ties: http://vimeo.com/79017687
                      Sam Hober too: http://www.samhober.com/videos.html

For ties, it's fairly easy to see why they cost what they do after watching these videos IMO. You're getting the highest quality silks and fabrics, handmade by an artisan. In the case of Vanda or Sam Hober, each tie is custom made for the individual. I don't know how many ties they can make in an hour, but just take a rough guess at a respectable hourly wage and factor in all the material and overhead and the prices aren't so surprising. Or one can buy a tie for $15 using inexpensive materials sewn by robotics or in a sweatshop. It's really up to an individual's budget and priorities.

Comment

I bought my first (they won't be my last!) Drake's ties at their recent sample sale and good god they are nice. Visually and to the touch they're subtly beautiful and distinctive in a way cheaper ties aren't. They also tie buttery knots: I've never had such an easy time getting a good dimple as with these ties.

FWIW, my first and only grenadine is from The Knottery and, while nice, I've been less impressed with it. The material is weirdly stiff, especially in the thinner part of the tie (the part you use to tie the knot). When I untie it, it's as though the tie's innards have shifted slightly and need to be shifted back in to place. But maybe these are grenadine issues and not Knottery issues, idk. I got it for a good price and very much enjoy the tie but I'll probably try a different maker for my next grenadine.

Comment

I was on the brink of ordering custom grenadines from Sam Hober when the Knottery e-mailed me about restocking theirs, so I held off. Hober didn't have all the colors I wanted in grossa, anyways. I'm kinda of weird and I sometimes like to have a cheap AND a luxury version of things, but I try to never purchase anything in between. I bought three knottery ties on the pre-order to see how I like grenadine and will almost certainly eventually end up either getting a Drake grenadine or a Sam Hober, to replace or compliment them. I pretty much know that buying anything middle of the road will not save me money, because I will still lust for that top end piece, unless I realize it is a look I don't like or isn't something I'll wear enough to justify the cost - at which point I am only out the cost of the cheap article.

But having these cheapies will give me time to try to snag a Drake on sale or second hand. Since its no longer a 'need' on my sartorial checklist.

Really want a midnight blue, grenadine bow tie though... and Hober is my only chance for that.

Comment

Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                            I was on the brink of ordering custom grenadines from Sam Hober when the Knottery e-mailed me about restocking theirs, so I held off. Hober didn't have all the colors I wanted in grossa, anyways. I'm kinda of weird and I sometimes like to have a cheap AND a luxury version of things, but I try to never purchase anything in between. I bought three knottery ties on the pre-order to see how I like grenadine and will almost certainly eventually end up either getting a Drake grenadine or a Sam Hober, to replace or compliment them. I pretty much know that buying anything middle of the road will not save me money, because I will still lust for that top end piece, unless I realize it is a look I don't like or isn't something I'll wear enough to justify the cost - at which point I am only out the cost of the cheap article.

But having these cheapies will give me time to try to snag a Drake on sale or second hand. Since its no longer a 'need' on my sartorial checklist.

Really want a midnight blue, grenadine bow tie though... and Hober is my only chance for that.

FWIW, I love the Kent Wang navy grenadine I have and would highly recommend considering his along with Hober and Drake's.

Comment

Raw Silk is up for pre-order today at the Knottery. Not something I'm really interested in at the moment, but in case someone else is and missed it. More interesting is that PTO posted about them and they have a little edit at the bottom stating that The Knottery have changed factories and most of their ties are now being handmade, instead of machine made. Crossing my fingers that this applies to the new grenadines and the few qualms that people had with them are somewhat alleviated by the new production method.

Originally posted by Lemmy127 View Post
                              FWIW, I love the Kent Wang navy grenadine I have and would highly recommend considering his along with Hober and Drake's.
                              Probably I will end up going for Hober some day. The price difference really isn't much more than KW's, and with Hober I can get everything to my exact specs. I was in the process of trying to measure how long I needed him to make my ties, since he won't simply let you say 'whatever the standard length is', when the Knotterys came up for pre-order and it got put on the back burner.

Comment

Working...
                              X