Allen Edmond's Outlet Sale (Seconds) - February 3rd-17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burban View Post
    Getting the list on the first day certainly makes a difference. In the past I'd never been able to find much of a selection of bourbon shoes available, but today I finally found the two in stock that I'd been eyeing since I won one of the $370 gift cards back in that November/December contest: bourbon Strands and merlot McAllisters. Very excited.
    Nice choices!

Comment

Marathon - I got bourbon strand seconds on the last sale (they weren't clearanced, but they were discounted significantly from the normal seconds price - I think the final total was just a little north of $200). In retrospect, I'd have waited, but I'm not displeased at that price. I find there's some redundancy between the bourbon and walnut strands, so if you don't have the latter yet, you could be getting 4 shoes for the price of two. Of course, the differences aren't subtle - the similarities are. Excellent choice on both those and the merlot McAllisters, BTW.

On the "If you get the list the first day, you get better options front" - this is true, as far as it goes. In my experience, the shoes they only have one of have a notably higher chance of being somehow defective than the ones they have a bunch of. I think this makes sense, since shoes get put into clearance if A) something's wrong with them, but not so wrong they won't sell them or B) they're totally fine quality-wise, but commercially undesirable / being discontinued. Obviously, from a quality perspective, B) is better, and aside from quality issues affecting a whole bunch of shoes ("this dye on this leather causes the shoe to corrode after 2 months", "This batch of shoes was glued wrong"), you'd expect A) to result in a random sampling of shoe types in small quantities, where you'd expect B) to result in a whole bunch of available shoes in a bunch of sizes.

Oh - on bourbon - it used to be new, now it's less new, so returns due to A) would be much more common now. Also, if they're not pushing "Buy bourbon shoes" as much anymore (I'm curious why - technical reasons? They're gorgeous, but it took them like a year to come up with a polish for them, which worries me), maybe they're offering it in a more limited range of styles.

Comment

[QUOTE=BigBayesian;151160]Marathon - I got bourbon strand seconds on the last sale (they weren't clearanced, but they were discounted significantly from the normal seconds price - I think the final total was just a little north of $200). In retrospect, I'd have waited, but I'm not displeased at that price. I find there's some redundancy between the bourbon and walnut strands, so if you don't have the latter yet, you could be getting 4 shoes for the price of two. Of course, the differences aren't subtle - the similarities are. Excellent choice on both those and the merlot McAllisters, BTW.[QUOTE]

Thanks. My first pair of Strands. I went up to the Brookfield outlet back in September when there was a 2/$250 sale going on and got walnut 5th Ave and black Park Ave as my first ever pairs of AEs. Looking back, I'd rather the dark brown or merlot 5th Aves. I like them fine, but I feel like the walnut is better on a slightly more casual shoe, such as the Strand. I wear suits 5 days/week though, so I can fit them into the rotation.

On the "If you get the list the first day, you get better options front" - this is true, as far as it goes. In my experience, the shoes they only have one of have a notably higher chance of being somehow defective than the ones they have a bunch of. I think this makes sense, since shoes get put into clearance if A) something's wrong with them, but not so wrong they won't sell them or B) they're totally fine quality-wise, but commercially undesirable / being discontinued. Obviously, from a quality perspective, B) is better, and aside from quality issues affecting a whole bunch of shoes ("this dye on this leather causes the shoe to corrode after 2 months", "This batch of shoes was glued wrong"), you'd expect A) to result in a random sampling of shoe types in small quantities, where you'd expect B) to result in a whole bunch of available shoes in a bunch of sizes.
        There appears to only be a few of both the bourbon Strand and merlot McAllister available in my size, but I'm hoping that's more due to its popularity and all the calling ahead people were able to do before I could get my list.

Oh - on bourbon - it used to be new, now it's less new, so returns due to A) would be much more common now. Also, if they're not pushing "Buy bourbon shoes" as much anymore (I'm curious why - technical reasons? They're gorgeous, but it took them like a year to come up with a polish for them, which worries me), maybe they're offering it in a more limited range of styles.
        Did you notice any of the greenish hue to them that some people have mentioned? I think they look like a perfect compromise between walnut and the dark brown (dark enough to be worn with almost any standard suit color, but light enough to see the brogueing).

Comment

So does the price list from earlier say Cordovan $499 - 40% = $299? So any shell option is $300? Anybody ever buy cordovan seconds?

Comment

And the flipping has already started. Luckily it seems they were out of my preferred AE size so I'll be spared months of relists deceptively claiming the retail price of 1sts.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
              So does the price list from earlier say Cordovan $499 - 40% = $299? So any shell option is $300? Anybody ever buy cordovan seconds?
              I picked up the Daltons last time they had a shell for $300 sale. There is some discoloration at the top of one of the boots, but it's normally hidden under my pants leg, so for more $425 less than what a first would cost, I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crims View Post
                And the flipping has already started. Luckily it seems they were out of my preferred AE size so I'll be spared months of relists deceptively claiming the retail price of 1sts.
                where?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMN View Post
                  where?
                  Ebay, mostly.

Comment

250 for a pair of Bourbon Daltons. Hope they don't have any terrible flaws because that was exactly what I wanted. Nearly impossible to find a blucher short wingtip at a reasonable price.

Comment

Ended up canceling the brown brooks strands and tried to go walnut, but they sold out. I decided to pick up the bourbon Strand. This is my first AE shoe so fingers crossed for no major blemishes
                      Last edited by ScottMehall; February 4, 2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Is there a number I can call 24/7 to place an order for this? By the time I get home, the closer AE stores are already closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                          Is there a number I can call 24/7 to place an order for this? By the time I get home, the closer AE stores are already closed!
                          Do you live in the midwest or east coast? If so, I would imagine there is an outlet somewhere in the Pacific time zone that would still be open. It really doesn't matter what store you call to make a purchase, since they are all looking at the same database.

Comment

Question:
                            Are there other times when the Independence collection is on sale or is the annual February sale the only time those shoes are dicounted?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMN View Post
                              Question:
                              Are there other times when the Independence collection is on sale or is the annual February sale the only time those shoes are dicounted?
                              Depending on the color and style, some of the shoes in the Independence collection are closeout, so they should continue to be on sale until they are out of stock.

Comment

Broke down and placed an order, 5 days later (you know, to make sure other people got theirs first). Brooks black mcallisters (a second black shoe, a little less formal than the park aves), Eagle countys in black and tan (I need some boots), and (possibly dumb) a pair of the center fielders (I've been having boat shoe problems. I know they're made in the DR, and probably not the high quality I expect from AE, but at $50, if they're nicer than Sperrys, I'm okay).

Comment

Working...
                                X