Jos A Bank, 100% wool suits from $89; sportcoats $49, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jos A Bank, 100% wool suits from $89; sportcoats $49, etc

Jos A Bank (I know, I know) has wool suits, various sportcoats for cheap on clearance. There are quite a few sets with 3-button jackets and/or pleated trousers, so there might not be anything, but I picked up a few sportcoats to try on, including some in linen/silk and some in wool, with Bemberg linings, for $49-$70 each. Worth a shot. Picked up a Signature suit for $89 in navy.. we'll see.

The website is horrible, but worth a shot for some of you.

I got a grey signature suit from them a while back and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Fit is pretty good, needs a little tailoring but it's designed to take it well. Shoulder pads are slightly more substantial than I would like, but all around it's a solid work suit that I've gotten a few compliments on.

Comment

It's funny that Jos A Bank gets such a hard time. Their suits and shirts are of the same quality as Brooks Brothers yet BB is put on a much higher pedestal imo. I love JAB. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Just ordered the navy screen weave suit. Awesome deal. Thanks again!

Comment

Worth a look, but my experience has been thick shoulders... And don't rely in them to size you properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
            It's funny that Jos A Bank gets such a hard time. Their suits and shirts are of the same quality as Brooks Brothers yet BB is put on a much higher pedestal imo. I love JAB. Thanks for the heads up.
            What? I'm not even a BB fan but that is asinine.

Comment

Originally posted by treydawg View Post
              What? I'm not even a BB fan but that is asinine.
              No it isnt. I own almost a dozen of each shirt and they are of the same quality. The fabric from JAB is actually better than BBs imo. And the suits are pretty much the same. BB is not some elite store, its a mall store. Their clothes retail for about the same price. JAB gets a. Lot of slack for its perpetual sales and cheesy commercials. As far as clothes go they are about the same quality. Ill take my own experience on that, but its been said plenty of times before.

Comment

The majority (maybe the entirety?) of Brooks Brothers' mainline suits are canvassed or half-canvassed and made in the US.

The majority of J.A.Bank's suits are fused and imported from third world countries. JAB's Signature, Signature Gold, and Platinum lines may be better-constructed, but they also retail for $1300 and up.

Brooks Brothers is not a true "luxury suit maker" by any stretch, but their product is markedly superior to just about anything else in the <$1k price range, with the exception of Suitsupply. J.A.Bank makes low-end budget suits, pure and simple. Their perpetual sale prices reflect the actual value of their mainline suits, which is maybe $100-200.

Brooks Brothers' and J.A.Bank's suits and shirts are only "pretty much the same" if you consider "stuff you wear that's made out of cloth" to qualify as "pretty much the same."
                Ben

Comment

Yeah, if you compare a 800$ Brooks Brothers suit to a 200$ JAB suit, youll see a huge difference. The Brooks Brothers 346 line and pretty much all of their outlet stuff is actually EXACTLY the same as JAB lower line. All made in central asia with the same fabrics. If you actually compare a suit that has the same price point, not sale stuff, they are very comparable. JAB gets a bad rap because of their commercials and name. People feel better about buying a Brooks Brothers product because the name carries a better image. We can agree to disagree. I own plenty of both. They are very comparable. Marketing wins again.

Comment

You're the one inviting the comparison between $200 JAB suits and $800 BB suits. You stated:

Their [JAB's] suits and shirts are of the same quality as Brooks Brothers yet BB is put on a much higher pedestal imo.
                    Maybe it's true that JAB's mainline offerings are comparable to BB's budget/outlet sub-brands (346). But what you said was that JAB's products, period, are the same quality as BB's products, period, which is simply wrong.

BB isn't "put on a pedestal" for their budget/outlet sub-brands, which most discerning buyers ignore anyway. BB is a menswear staple because of the reliable quality of their mainline products, which can be obtained for reasonable prices during BB's sales and specials.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      You're the one inviting the comparison between $200 JAB suits and $800 BB suits. You stated:

Maybe it's true that JAB's mainline offerings are comparable to BB's budget/outlet sub-brands (346). But what you said was that JAB's products, period, are the same quality as BB's products, period, which is simply wrong.

BB isn't "put on a pedestal" for their budget/outlet sub-brands, which most discerning buyers ignore anyway. BB is a menswear staple because of the reliable quality of their mainline products, which can be obtained for reasonable prices during BB's sales and specials.
                      Sorry, I assumed most people would have common sense to know that I meant within the same price point. You seem to just like pigeonhole anything I post and constantly try finding argument with me. I mean you actually dissected a line of my post, wrongly I might add. No kidding an $800 Brooks Brothers suit is going to be better than a $200 dollar JAB suit. This is Dappered, right? I didnt think we were talking thousand dollar fully canvassed suits here. The Brooks Brothers "ease" and "essentials" line are no better than a Signature JAB suit, which is in the same price point. I also didnt say "ALL JAB suits and shirts are of the same quality", you insinuated that, next time I'll be more clear. My point was, BB and JAB are (within their lower line) are of ABOUT the same quality.

Comment

You guys...

I like to think that you two are bffs in the real world and are just simply bored at work so you have 'arguments' to entertain the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by shade View Post
                          sorry, i assumed most people would have common sense to know that i meant within the same price point. You seem to just like pigeonhole anything i post and constantly try finding argument with me. I mean you actually dissected a line of my post, wrongly i might add. No kidding an $800 brooks brothers suit is going to be better than a $200 dollar jab suit. This is dappered, right? I didnt think we were talking thousand dollar fully canvassed suits here. The brooks brothers "ease" and "essentials" line are no better than a signature jab suit, which is in the same price point. I also didnt say "all jab suits and shirts are of the same quality", you insinuated that, next time i'll be more clear. My point was, bb and jab are (within their lower line) are of about the same quality.

lol mad.

Comment

Yeah, if you compare a 800$ Brooks Brothers suit to a 200$ JAB suit, youll see a huge difference. The Brooks Brothers 346 line and pretty much all of their outlet stuff is actually EXACTLY the same as JAB lower line. All made in central asia with the same fabrics. If you actually compare a suit that has the same price point, not sale stuff, they are very comparable. JAB gets a bad rap because of their commercials and name. People feel better about buying a Brooks Brothers product because the name carries a better image. We can agree to disagree. I own plenty of both. They are very comparable. Marketing wins again.
                            Technically, the marketing loses this time....

JosABank is the one that's blasting everybody with the buy one, we'll give you a car and pay off your mortgage ads...

Comment

If you pick an item at random at Brooks Brothers, it will be made of quality materials with classic styling. If you pick a random item at Jos A Bank, it will be made of inferior materials and questionable styling more likely than not. That doesn't mean there aren't gems, but you've got to look for them. You've got to admit that 90% of the sale selection I linked to was polyester, poly blends, 3-button suits, pleated fronts, or boxy cuts.

Honestly I'll be surprised if I keep any of the seven items I ordered, even at $49/wool sportcoat and $89/signature 100% suits.

Comment

Working...
                              X