Put This On - Inside Track Subscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put This On - Inside Track Subscription

Is anyone on here subscribed to putthison.com's Inside Track? If you haven't seen this, details are here: http://putthison.com/post/5315302761...de-track-every

Basically, $5 a month for ebay listings and sales roundups. I'm not an ebay shopper, so I'm only interested in the sales roundups. Anyone have any feedback on whether or not it is worth it?

Maybe I'm alone on this, but... paying extra for a list of eBay stuff that is shared with a big list of people who are all looking for the same sort of stuff you are? Aren't you basically paying for PTO to advertise to your bidding competition, and therefore, artificially inflate the prices of these items?

eBay works best when you take the time to sort through listings yourself, and find the things that other people aren't finding. The best way to do that is to generate your own, highly specific search criteria and manually go through the best-looking listings to look at things like measurements.

Buying on eBay carries some inherent risks with it. You can never be sure of the exact sizing, condition, quality, or authenticity of an item until you've actually paid for it and received it. The value in taking those risks comes from the fact that you might end up owning something amazing for dirt cheap. The higher those prices creep, the less value eBay holds and the less sense it makes to take risks with your bidding. That's just my $.02.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; July 28, 2013, 11:47 AM.
    Ben

Comment

BenR, You sound more like a lawyer every day. I agree with everything that you said.

Comment

BenR: to that end whenever I find a great listing on Ebay, I hope and hope that PTO doesn't feature it in one of its weekly roundups.

Comment

definitely agree with BenR. if you are only interested in the sales, PTO will also post them in their "It's On Sale" category. also, sites likes dappered already post sales for free and give me waaaay too many places for me to spend my money lol.

Comment

Originally posted by thatbrownguy View Post
            definitely agree with BenR. if you are only interested in the sales, PTO will also post them in their "It's On Sale" category. also, sites likes dappered already post sales for free and give me waaaay too many places for me to spend my money lol.
            And I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has subscribed and found that they do post some good sales listings above and beyond the "It's On Sale" posts. The truth is, I just don't have time to be constantly searching for good sales. Sites like Dappered do a great job of posting highlights, but the deals section of this forum frequently has stuff Joe doesn't post, tough to gauge how much else is out there.

Comments on ebay make sense, but not even a consideration for me. I just don't use it.

Comment

I agree with the above posters...

I purchase almost 90% of my stuff online (I work 60+ hours per week).

Here's the best way to approach ebaying (IMO)
              1) Get yourself measured (you can find a measurement template for shirts, pants, & suits at any of your MTM online suiting websites)
              2) On ebay, type in your general clothing size using your staple store as a baseline (ex. I usually search for clothing in XS or S)
              3) Sort through the clothes however you see fit (i usually go highest-lowest and narrow it down to my range)
              4) Find something that interests you
              5) Look for measurements. Does it match? (if no measurements ask for it)
              - If they don't provide you with measurements, do you really want to buy from that person?
              6) Put it in your wish list
              7) Try to snipe it or whatever

To be fair, I don't shop for a lot of clothes that aren't my staple brands (ie. J Crew and a few others).
              However, I do check these sites religiously, and when possible, I try to see when sales end and try to get on when the sales end to see what other sales promotions they're running next.
              (Also, if I have time, I try to check the local spots too... I've scored $19.00 ludlow shirts / $12.00 ties / $8.00 hats before...)

I may be in the minority, but I don't feel a huge "need" to explore outside other brands when I have a portfolio of 3-4 brands that have what I need.

Comment

I have to agree with the above as well-- I have no idea what value there is to be had in ebay listings that are publicized and bid up to retail prices and beyond. The real value comes from hunting ebay and finding things that you hope no one else has found (poorly designed listings, misspelled brand names, etc).

Comment

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying to see the usual listings of SF members on PTO. I can see that for free. And like has been mentioned, this doesn't help the buyer since these publicized listings just generate more bids for the seller.

I have a few customized 'searches' on ebay and always hate when an item I'm interested in shows up on PTO's listing. No way it'll fly under the radar then so if I was watching said item I just move on.

Comment

Just to be clear:

A) Lots and lots of sales in the Inside Track that don't appear on our website.
                    B) Many, many more people see the eBay listings on the website than see the ones on the Inside Track. A factor of thousands.
                    C) Even a cool thing that goes for "full eBay value" is much less than it would be in a store, etc. One sportcoat a year would more than cover your five bucks a month.

That said, if you've got the time to spend looking for misspelled listings in your size, you will certainly save money that way.

Comment

(This is Jesse, by the way, owner of PTO)

Comment

Originally posted by PutThisOn View Post
                        Just to be clear:

A) Lots and lots of sales in the Inside Track that don't appear on our website.
                        Thanks, Jesse. I'm considering it. It's not hard to see how locating one extra discount coupon could pay the cost for a year... Maybe you could get Joe on the main Dappered site to review the service? Perhaps with an example that is a week or two old, so you don't upset your current subscribers.

Comment

Working...
                        X