No announcement yet.

Chippewa Boots $85 on Amazon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I'd love to see some more pics of these boots if you guys have any. I'm not really a boot guy, but ironically that was because I thought they looked horrible with my "boot-cut" jeans. I now wear a more tapered straight leg and think these will look killer. I've been on the fence about getting a nice pair of boots for a while and this deal might just be enough to commit.
    42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Pics? Ask and ye shall receive:

A little scuffed-up and dirty... this is how they looked this fall after about 6 months of no maintenance. I re-conditioned them at the start of winter and now they look like new again.

And yes... the 6" Lace-up is the one people are referring to.

The boots work great with tapered pants.
      Ben

Comment

Damn those look good! Thanks for the pics. I'm an 11 to an 11 1/2 normally, so I'll go with the 11.

Yesterday was my birthday and I ordered some Bonobos jeans as a gift to myself, but these will make a great second gift!

ORDERING NOW!

Comment

@BenR

This will be my first pair of nice boots.
          What products/brands do you suggest? You mentioned conditioner, what about waterproofing?
          I live in NC so I do not see much snow, just rain.

Comment

Most leather conditioners are also waterproofers - the conditioner is basically an oil, grease, or wax that simultaneously moisturizes the leather and protects it from things like water. I use Schnee's Premium Leather Conditioner most of the time, since I like to support local businesses, and it's a paste/grease that's easier to apply than wax-based conditioners like Obenauf's.

I've used Obenauf's LP before and a lot of people swear by it. I just think it takes a lot of time and work to apply. You really have to work the wax into the leather with the warmth from your hands, then go over the whole thing with a heating element (like a hair dryer or heat gun) to really melt the wax into the leather, then go over and wipe the whole thing down again. Sort of a pain compared to the Schnee's Conditioner, which you just apply, let sit, and wipe off.

You can also use something as simple as mink oil, which will condition the leather and be relatively water resistant. I've heard somewhere that mink oil can start to go rancid and accelerate the deterioration of the leather, but I have no idea if that's true or not. I know mink oil is a product that's been used in shoe care for a long, long time.

It may be easiest for you to find a shoe store that specializes in outdoor footwear and see what they have for sale. Try to steer clear from silicone and petroleum-based products, and any kind of spray or wipe. Go with something that looks like an oil, cream, grease, or wax. I usually get my shoe care stuff at a local ranch supply store (the Obenauf's is located in the saddle care section - go figure) but I'm not sure how many of those you've got in NC....

[Edit] Sno-Seal (sometimes marketed as Tectron Sno-Seal) is another beeswax-based product, like Obenauf's, that is well-regarded and relatively widely available.
            Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 19, 2013, 01:25 PM.
            Ben

Comment

Thanks!

On a side note, I saw that some of the reviews said "seconds" or "second quality." I couldn't find it anywhere in the product description so I am hoping that they are wrong. Most of the reviews were great. Some people also suggested to go a whole size down instead of a half. I'm hoping that everything works out. Can't wait to get these boots!

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Most leather conditioners are also waterproofers - the conditioner is basically an oil, grease, or wax that simultaneously moisturizes the leather and protects it from things like water. I use Schnee's Premium Leather Conditioner most of the time, since I like to support local businesses, and it's a paste/grease that's easier to apply than wax-based conditioners like Obenauf's.

I've used Obenauf's LP before and a lot of people swear by it. I just think it takes a lot of time and work to apply. You really have to work the wax into the leather with the warmth from your hands, then go over the whole thing with a heating element (like a hair dryer or heat gun) to really melt the wax into the leather, then go over and wipe the whole thing down again. Sort of a pain compared to the Schnee's Conditioner, which you just apply, let sit, and wipe off.
                For clarification, there is Obenauf's LP, and Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. Although both are beeswax based, the LP is a liquid at room temperature, and goes on much quicker and easier. Personally, I prefer the Heavy Duty LP for winter boots. It's 30 minutes of work, and you end up with a coating of wax to keep the salt away from your leather.

Comment

Quick question, I jumped on this deal last week and my boots came Thursday. Friday I wore them pretty much all day and after a few hours I started getting some pain on the back part of my right foot, up by my achilles... Is this normal as I break the boots in? Its my first pair of boots so I'm not sure

Comment

Anyone have any experience with something similar? ^

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Anyone have any experience with something similar? ^
                      You mean the pain just comes on randomly? Or is the back part of your heel placing pressure on the boot somewhere? If the boot feels very snug and there is continual pressure then this pain can happen as the leather needs to break in and soften. If there is no continual pressure, then there can be a whole host of reasons.

Comment

Yeah it's continuous pressure when I'm walking/standing,but it goes away when I sit down. I'll continue to wear them and hopefully they soften up, thanks for the reply

Comment

How are everyone's boots?

Mine came with some nasty defects on the uppers. Going to try to exchange them. I have the worst luck with shoes.

Comment

Mine came with some defects too, some extra glue on the soles. Not great quality control.

Comment

Ended up returning mine. The fit was good and I was able to buff out the defects, but just decided that the boot was a little too plain for me.

After buying some strands and wingtips, the plain-brown shoe is just kind of boring to me. I'll probably wait and find some kinda of dainite/commando soled boot from AE (bayfield or north platte type) or possibly go with a moc-toe from redwing/wolverine.

Comment

Working...
                              X