X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trash View Post
    http://www.jlpowell.com/Newport-Boat...uctinfo/16119/

JL Powell Newport boat shoes on sale for $99. Someone on SF says they're made by Rancourt. I'm not big on boat shoes but at this price I'm tempted to try them out this summer...

Also these mocs for $79:

http://www.jlpowell.com/Three-Eyelet...uctinfo/15969/

Not sure if these are Rancourt as well.
    Long time lurker, and trying to update my wardrobe. I was looking into boat shoes, but don't know how to pull them off properly. What would you rec to wear with the navy blues and the suede mocs during the summer?

Comment

You guys... are... killing me. I've wanted a pair of navy rancourts forever.

And those hiking boots, I've wanted a pair in tan for almost as long. Will probably throw some turquoise laces on those.

Ridiculous. I wonder how they are doing over in that 60 days of not spending thread... haven't seen anyone post in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
        Long time lurker, and trying to update my wardrobe. I was looking into boat shoes, but don't know how to pull them off properly. What would you rec to wear with the navy blues and the suede mocs during the summer?
        Boat shoes aren't too hard to pull off since they're so common. Navy or brown with a white sole is pretty classic. I got the navy ones and anticipate wearing them with shorts or off-white/tan lightweight chinos. I'd probably wear them sockless or with very low-cut socks. You could probably wear the suede mocs in a similar way, but I feel like the chunkier sole would make them look a little weirder with shorts instead of full pants, which is why I didn't grab those too. If you search the forums for "boat shoes" you'll find plenty of discussion on how to wear them. Also, doesn't hurt to have a boat to wear them on!

Comment

Boat shoes aren't too hard to pull off since they're so common
          +1. I just don't really know what size I am in Rancourt. I had a pair of 10D Rancourts once that were too small so I sold them. Not sure if I need to go up a width or a 1/2 size. FWIW my 9.5D Oak Street trail oxfords are bigger and wider than my 10D Rancourts were and fit me better. Rancourts are obviously great shoes, I just need to try some different sizes on before blind buying.

Comment

Boat shoes aren't too hard to pull off since they're so common. Navy or brown with a white sole is pretty classic. I got the navy ones and anticipate wearing them with shorts or off-white/tan lightweight chinos. I'd probably wear them sockless or with very low-cut socks. You could probably wear the suede mocs in a similar way, but I feel like the chunkier sole would make them look a little weirder with shorts instead of full pants, which is why I didn't grab those too. If you search the forums for "boat shoes" you'll find plenty of discussion on how to wear them. Also, doesn't hurt to have a boat to wear them on!
            Okay great. I just ordered the navy ones, and not the suede mocs. I'm going to grab a couple pairs of off white chinos and shorts now. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Okay great. I just ordered the navy ones, and not the suede mocs. I'm going to grab a couple pairs of off white chinos and shorts now. Thanks for the info!
              You can wear boat shoes with just about anything, but shorts and chinos will be best. No need to only wear navy boat shoes with just tan/off-white--summer is more colorful anyway. They'd look good with any of the above in blue, grey, even a light yellow, red, etc. I prefer my boat shoes to be dark brown with white sole, but I'd have grabbed navy Rancourts at that price no questions (if they had my size).

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                You can wear boat shoes with just about anything, but shorts and chinos will be best. No need to only wear navy boat shoes with just tan/off-white--summer is more colorful anyway. They'd look good with any of the above in blue, grey, even a light yellow, red, etc. I prefer my boat shoes to be dark brown with white sole, but I'd have grabbed navy Rancourts at that price no questions (if they had my size).
                By blues and greys, do you mean any shade of either one?

Comment

By blues and greys, do you mean any shade of either one?
                  Pretty much. For pants, I'd probably stay away from doing navy on navy just so it isn't perfectly monotone, but navy shoes with navy shorts is a cool look (likely a lighter shirt). Anything light/baby blue, or even a turquoise or royal could be fun. If there's some differentiation in the colors, I think blue and grey go well together (or blue and blue).

Comment

I'd just note that if you're doing two 'colors' with your shoes and your shorts/pants (as opposed to something more neutral), it likely calls for a neutral or toned down shirt.

Comment

Pretty much. For pants, I'd probably stay away from doing navy on navy just so it isn't perfectly monotone, but navy shoes with navy shorts is a cool look (likely a lighter shirt). Anything light/baby blue, or even a turquoise or royal could be fun. If there's some differentiation in the colors, I think blue and grey go well together (or blue and blue).
                      I'd just note that if you're doing two 'colors' with your shoes and your shorts/pants (as opposed to something more neutral), it likely calls for a neutral or toned down shirt.
                      Okay, lots of good info. Once the boat shoes come in, I'm going to head to the mall to see what you're saying. Thanks!

Comment

Just called and changed my boat shoe order from a 9 to a 9.5. 9.5 is my brannock and what I wear in most US shoes, but usually I size down in boat shoes and loafers... Sounds like these should run TTS though, from what I've read. Tried to skim as many posts as possible before deciding, because I didn't want my size to sell out. I'd rather have a boat shoe thats a little too loose than too tight.

Boat shoes, especially navy, go with everything casual. My favorite look is with navy shorts and a white polo. In summer its really my go to shoe. Unfortunately, my navy Sperrys are starting to wear all the way through the heel and the sole has yellowed. Couldn't have been better timing for this sale, since I've been on the fence about ordering some from Rancourt - but the 2-3 week wait always put me off.

Love the images from this article on IWC from ACL, they're all wearing navy blue boat shoes:
                        http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/...t-club-chrono/

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                          Well, I didn't really "need" these at all, but for $99 why not?
                          Great find!
                          Fred, I saw you post on SF that your Rider hiking boots came in, how did they fit? Did you go TTS or size down? Mine are coming today or tomorrow and I'm just wondering if I should expect a great fit or disappointment because I went TTS.

Comment

Fred, I saw you post on SF that your Rider hiking boots came in, how did they fit? Did you go TTS or size down? Mine are coming today or tomorrow and I'm just wondering if I should expect a great fit or disappointment because I went TTS.
                            I went TTS and they fit pretty well for me.

Comment

i went a half size up because my tts wasn't available. hoping i can make it work

Comment

mine just arrived. mine are a tad long, but i also knew that the size i ordered is bigger than my usual. i think tts will be fine for you. they do fit wide as they described on their website- they feel better with a thicker boot sock.

these things are really nice and are a definite steal for $99, and they came with saphir bags too one downer for me though- mine arrived with 2 pairs of black laces... i was so ready to slap on those tan ones from their pictures!

Comment

Working...
                                X