Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Finds: Specific Item Deals Around the Net

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Other than white linen, an ancient madder paisley is probably the most versatile pocket square you can own. Drake's makes some of my favorite pocket squares and Hanger Project has 'em for half off right now:
    http://www.hangerproject.com/clothin...et-square.html

    Comment


      Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
      Other than white linen, an ancient madder paisley is probably the most versatile pocket square you can own. Drake's makes some of my favorite pocket squares and Hanger Project has 'em for half off right now:
      http://www.hangerproject.com/clothin...et-square.html
      Any pictures of you rocking these for a WIWT or Friday contest? I have trouble picturing paisley.. makes me think of shiny silk pocket squares on TV broadcasters. Which is not at all accurate to the uses they have, I think.

      Comment


        Originally posted by marathon View Post
        Any pictures of you rocking these for a WIWT or Friday contest? I have trouble picturing paisley.. makes me think of shiny silk pocket squares on TV broadcasters. Which is not at all accurate to the uses they have, I think.
        Not Drake's but here's a Seabury & Stearn paisley square I wore last week.


        The advantage of a paisley ancient madder is that it's really easy to match with whatever you're wearing. Your jacket will be solid, windowpane, pinstripe, POW, etc., your shirt will be solid, gingham, stripe, etc., your tie (most likely) will be solid, stripe, dot, neat pattern, etc. Paisley ancient madder will go with basically anything. Personally I love Drake's pattern squares and have probably 10 or so of them. A paisley or well designed pattern is just really versatile because you won't be wearing that pattern anywhere else.

        Comment


          Fred, those pocket squares look great... But sadly by deciding to keep both of the Drake's ties I got from Mr. Porter, I think I should cut off my discretionary spending for the time being.

          But because I don't want others to suffer from similar bouts of conscience, here's a Barbour Chelsea Sportsquilt, on sale for only $115 (plus shipping)! It's navy, and all sizes are available, so if you're looking for a casual but good looking jacket, I doubt you can do much better than this. I bought one earlier in a different color and am very happy with it.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
            But because I don't want others to suffer from similar bouts of conscience, here's a Barbour Chelsea Sportsquilt, on sale for only $115 (plus shipping)! It's navy, and all sizes are available, so if you're looking for a casual but good looking jacket, I doubt you can do much better than this. I bought one earlier in a different color and am very happy with it.
            How is the sizing on it? Does it run TTS or did you have to size down?

            Comment


              Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
              Fred, those pocket squares look great... But sadly by deciding to keep both of the Drake's ties I got from Mr. Porter, I think I should cut off my discretionary spending for the time being.

              But because I don't want others to suffer from similar bouts of conscience, here's a Barbour Chelsea Sportsquilt, on sale for only $115 (plus shipping)! It's navy, and all sizes are available, so if you're looking for a casual but good looking jacket, I doubt you can do much better than this. I bought one earlier in a different color and am very happy with it.
              I'm also curious about the fit of this jacket. It seems to wear large from a quick online skim of reviews. Any comments on placement of armholes? It looks like I'd need a smaller sizing for chest/torso fit, but also don't want completely restricted range of motion. Thanks for any input!

              Comment


                I picked a small, and I find that it fits true to the measurements provided by End. In this size it fits well in the shoulders, I like the placement of the armholes, and though it is a bit boxy in the body, that is easily taken care of with the waist tabs. In the chest, it feels... Not exactly constraining or tight, but definitely not loose. I have full mobility though, so maybe that's just me still not being entirely used to clothes that fit properly. And for the sake of comparison, I wear medium slim Jcrew shirts, medium slim BR shirts, and am usually a small or medium in most brands and things, or somewhere in between. In general I'd say if you are a 38R, the small is the size to get.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                  I picked a small, and I find that it fits true to the measurements provided by End. In this size it fits well in the shoulders, I like the placement of the armholes, and though it is a bit boxy in the body, that is easily taken care of with the waist tabs. In the chest, it feels... Not exactly constraining or tight, but definitely not loose. I have full mobility though, so maybe that's just me still not being entirely used to clothes that fit properly. And for the sake of comparison, I wear medium slim Jcrew shirts, medium slim BR shirts, and am usually a small or medium in most brands and things, or somewhere in between. In general I'd say if you are a 38R, the small is the size to get.
                  Wonderful. I called a Barbour store earlier and asked them about the Chelsea and the lady was almost positive that I'm a Medium. I also wear medium slim fit JCrew shirts. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                    I picked a small, and I find that it fits true to the measurements provided by End. In this size it fits well in the shoulders, I like the placement of the armholes, and though it is a bit boxy in the body, that is easily taken care of with the waist tabs. In the chest, it feels... Not exactly constraining or tight, but definitely not loose. I have full mobility though, so maybe that's just me still not being entirely used to clothes that fit properly. And for the sake of comparison, I wear medium slim Jcrew shirts, medium slim BR shirts, and am usually a small or medium in most brands and things, or somewhere in between. In general I'd say if you are a 38R, the small is the size to get.
                    is the barboour Chelsea too warm for southern CA winter? Do you have a fit picture of the chelsea? thx.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
                      is the barboour Chelsea too warm for southern CA winter? Do you have a fit picture of the chelsea? thx.
                      I'd love to know the same - I live in Houston. I've currently got the LE Oilcloth Sportsman jacket and a light Bonobos Shamus mac as my outerwear.

                      Edit: Apparently you have a good shot of getting hit w/ import duties ordering from The End.
                      Last edited by LosRockets; January 21, 2014, 06:40 PM.

                      Comment


                        Sorry, no fit pictures, but I think I've given a pretty good description up above. All in all, I think it fits quite well, so it has my wholehearted endorsement.

                        In terms of temperatures, it is wind and waterproof, I believe, and though it feels light is actually fairly warm. I've worn it with temperatures in the 40s, while layering a sweater, shirt, and undershirt beneath it. So with decreased layering it should be perfectly comfortable for temperatures up through the 50s and 60s (and maybe even 70s, but if it's getting that warm why would you even need a jacket?).

                        BTW, LosRockets, how are you liking that Shamus? I'm considering getting one as well. I'm fairly confident I'm a medium, so I'm more interested in general impressions and the like.

                        Oh, and for the record, I wasn't hit with any delays or customs charges when I ordered my jacket, which was also from End. As I recall delivery was actually fairly quick. Just anecdotal evidence though, so take it for what it's worth.

                        Comment


                          I got the shamus trench as well. Haven't had a chance to wear it yet since it's been too cold but I'd say its a good buy for the price. You're probably going to be a small unless you're trying to wear it over a jacket or blazer.

                          Edit: trueflame - what are your height/ weight measurements?
                          Last edited by Vicious49; January 21, 2014, 07:43 PM.

                          Comment


                            6' and 165lbs. And yeah, I figured the medium would be for a jacket/blazer. But I also think that's the only time I would need to wear a coat like this. I have other jackets, even the chelsea sportsquilt itself, so this would really be just something for the more formal or dressy occasions.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                              6' and 165lbs. And yeah, I figured the medium would be for a jacket/blazer. But I also think that's the only time I would need to wear a coat like this. I have other jackets, even the chelsea sportsquilt itself, so this would really be just something for the more formal or dressy occasions.
                              I'm a tad under 5'8" and 165 lbs so I'm thinking maybe I am a M in the Chelsea. If the S fits you snug, then I have a feeling it might be tight for me in the chest/shoulders. How are the sleeves on it?

                              I got the Shamus in S and M. The S fits me well as long as I don't layer much underneath it. The M was just way too big and too long on me. With you being 6" the length on it would be much better for you but it's going to feel too wide at the bottom.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                                I'm a tad under 5'8" and 165 lbs so I'm thinking maybe I am a M in the Chelsea. If the S fits you snug, then I have a feeling it might be tight for me in the chest/shoulders. How are the sleeves on it?

                                I got the Shamus in S and M. The S fits me well as long as I don't layer much underneath it. The M was just way too big and too long on me. With you being 6" the length on it would be much better for you but it's going to feel too wide at the bottom.
                                Thanks a lot for the replies. I think you may be right about the Chelsea. I find that a 38R Ludlow is a bit too tight in the chest for me though, while a 40R is too big in the shoulders, so use that to help you with the sizes. The sleeves on it are on the long side. They reach to the first joint of my thumb, and I wear a 34 sleeve with shirts.

                                I'm apprehensive about the Shamus, since it's final sale. It looks fairly short in the stock pictures, but just how long was the medium on you? I've tried one of their 38R blazers before too, and found it just a bit too tight in the chest, so my gut tells me I'll be in between sizes again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X