Upcoming Allen Edmonds sales (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TDurden View Post
    what this guy doing is like ticket scalping for the rest of us. vulture capitalism at a low level.
    Horrendous exploitation certainly exists in capitalism, but I think scalping gets an undeservedly bad rap. Scalpers are providing a service. Let's say you forgot that it's your anniversary, and your wife's favorite band is in town. Sure, the scalper's making a nice margin, but he's providing you a service (and saving your hide). If avoiding that price markup is more important to you than the convenience, then you can get around it by expending more effort preparing to get the tickets beforehand.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Scalpers buy every ticket to popular shows possible using software, technology and resources most people can't or won't put into it to take 'reasonably' priced tickets to re-sell for exorbitant profits. Is that capitalism? I don't think that's the ideal intent of capitalism, but sure it fits in with vulture capitalism.. which most of us are sick of. It's essentially rent-seeking.

They are not doing us a service.

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
      Horrendous exploitation certainly exists in capitalism, but I think scalping gets an undeservedly bad rap. Scalpers are providing a service. Let's say you forgot that it's your anniversary, and your wife's favorite band is in town. Sure, the scalper's making a nice margin, but he's providing you a service (and saving your hide). If avoiding that price markup is more important to you than the convenience, then you can get around it by expending more effort preparing to get the tickets beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by TDurden View Post
        Scalpers buy every ticket to popular shows possible using software, technology and resources most people can't or won't put into it to take 'reasonably' priced tickets to re-sell for exorbitant profits. Is that capitalism? I don't think that's the ideal intent of capitalism, but sure it fits in with vulture capitalism.. which most of us are sick of. It's essentially rent-seeking.

They are not doing us a service.
        If people are willing to pay for those tickets (which they are), then they must be reasonably priced to those people. And there are plenty of measures (e.g. captchas) to prevent cornering ticket markets these days. I've rarely ever run into situations where I was forced to buy from scalpers because of a lack of initial supply.
        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

We're getting way off topic. I never meant it to go down this route. I would post a pic of some AE's to get us back on track but the only pair I have remaining are my Aberdeens. They are the only ones that never caused me any foot pain.

Comment

Ticket scalping and a dude buying 60 pairs of AE's in random sizes and weird color combos are two completely different things.

I bet he didn't even buy out the stock from one outlet, let alone all of the RL AE's available.

Like DXLi said, if you don't want to pay the inflated price, then don't buy from him or do your due diligence and buy directly from the source. There's no software to get sniped on AE's from the shoebank, so you have no excuse for not getting what you want if you contact them early.

My apologies for contributing to the tangent, but I don't like people attacking a guy with little justification.

To get back on track, when does the current outlet sale end? I'm debating about a pair of Brooks Strands, but I'm not as sold on the color as most guys.

Comment

On a side side tangent - I just happened to click on one of his completed auctions. I like how in the last pic he shows an EG shoe and says it's very similar to the shoe he's selling. The 2 shoes look nothing alike!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Lauren...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Originally posted by AMProf View Post
                You hate capitalism? AE is a business. The guy on ebay is running a business. AE sold shoes they couldn't sell in their retail outlets at a price they found acceptable. They weren't doing us favors because we're buddies, they wanted to sell those shoes at 2 for 250. The guy on ebay is putting forth some effort (shipping, handling, photographing, etc) and, if there's a market for what he is offering at his chosen price, the shoes will sell. If not, they don't sell. I think these markets are actually pretty efficient and benefit everyone.
                The basic problem with people arguing this point ITT is that the secondary markets do not benefit everyone - it's shifting the surplus from one side of the equation (shoebank users) to other side (the middleman) but the net amount of surplus is still the same, assuming AE doesn't adjust its prices or production as a result of the secondary market - there is no increase in utility overall (ignoring the possibility that the middleman sells more shoes than would have been sold solely via the bank).

Comment

Factory Seconds Thanksgiving Sale. $100 off select factory second styles. Nov 22nd - Dec 8th

http://i.imgur.com/x68mcv1.png

Looks like Black Friday's $99 sale is back again this year…

email [email protected] to order.

Comment

Originally posted by dlucas589 View Post
                    Factory Seconds Thanksgiving Sale. $100 off select factory second styles. Nov 22nd - Dec 8th

I see that they listed "Door Busters" at the bottom of the link. Are they just loosely using that phrase or is this a store-only purchase? I'd love to order the Mayfairs via phone / email.

Comment

Any experience with AE blazers quality and sizing? $100 seems like a great price for wool sportscoats

Originally posted by dlucas589 View Post

Comment

i've seen them in store, never tried them on, but they look huge/boxy.

Comment

I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the SF/AE MTO program. Seems that you can create an MTO based on a style that is on sale and receive that price. someone ordered an Eagle County boot sans the white brick sole and with calf leather, effectively turning it into a pretty serious captoe blucher boot - for just $197

I've been aching for a PTB, and so I've asked if i can do an MTO using a 5-last PTB that's in the clearance section @ $197, the black hills. it has an ugly mini lug sole, but if i can switch that for a double sole w/ split reverse welts, it'll come out looking kind of alden ptb-ish. fingers crossed!

Comment

if you are interested in ordering an MTO through the SF deal, contact [email protected]

Comment

Hey Fey, What's the deal with the sf MTO deal? I've read all through that AE Appreciation thread, but haven't been able to figure out the details of it.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                                Hey Fey, What's the deal with the sf MTO deal? I've read all through that AE Appreciation thread, but haven't been able to figure out the details of it.
                                Not Fey but here goes: Basically the AE CEO told the SF members that they'd waive the MTO fee ($125) if you contact Allison at 262-235-6128 and tell her you would like to place a MTO through the Styleforum agreement. If you want shell it's $595 (std shell price), CXL is regular price (no markup), and there are numerous sole, welt, and edge-dressing options available, as well as different linings (and of course leathers). In a recent AE sale where even shell was marked down to around $500, AE honored that price for MTOs, and right now with a discount on the Eagle County firsts on the AE website, they're honoring that $19x price as the MTO price for Eagle County makeups (obviously excluding shell).

Pretty awesome customer service, IMO. Especially considering how AE apparently keeps you in the loop on the status of your MTO. Only shell options available now are black, burgundy, and brown. No more walnut, truffle, cappuccino going forward as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X