Upcoming Allen Edmonds sales (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
    My read (newcomer, but did my homework) is that you won't do much better than that. You might get lucky on a 2 for 250 or a bigger than normal sale markdown, but you'd have to watch and wait for a while. If you want it now / don't want to spend the time required to hunt, you're very unlikely to do better, especially on the strands. If they discontinue the dalton, you might have a shot, but otherwise you did well. I'd chalk it up as a win and call it a day. Anyone more seasoned disagree with my assessment?
    Thanks. I guess the real question now is....if I am getting just one pair...do I get the Daltons or Strands?

My soon-to-be father in law recently bought me a pair of black strands. They are great and got me really wanting another pair of AEs. I had some time to kill the other day, so I popped into the AE store nearby and tried on the walnut Strands...my god were they beautiful!

The reason I'm thinking about the Daltons as well is because fall and winter are right around the corner here in DC, and it might be nice to have a boot.

I've also had a strange yearning for the grey Aberdeens......decisions, decisions....

Comment

Originally posted by DNSamurai View Post
      Thanks. I guess the real question now is....if I am getting just one pair...do I get the Daltons or Strands?

My soon-to-be father in law recently bought me a pair of black strands. They are great and got me really wanting another pair of AEs. I had some time to kill the other day, so I popped into the AE store nearby and tried on the walnut Strands...my god were they beautiful!

The reason I'm thinking about the Daltons as well is because fall and winter are right around the corner here in DC, and it might be nice to have a boot.

I've also had a strange yearning for the grey Aberdeens......decisions, decisions....
      You sound like the kind of guy who will end up buying both anyway. So don't stress it.

Comment

My read (newcomer, but did my homework) is that you won't do much better than that. You might get lucky on a 2 for 250 or a bigger than normal sale markdown, but you'd have to watch and wait for a while. If you want it now / don't want to spend the time required to hunt, you're very unlikely to do better, especially on the strands. If they discontinue the dalton, you might have a shot, but otherwise you did well. I'd chalk it up as a win and call it a day. Anyone more seasoned disagree with my assessment?
        It isn't the lowest you can find, and 1sts (as opposed to 2nds) sometimes dip down that low, at least for the Strands if not the Daltons. That being said the ~200 mark is pretty good. To get much below 200 you're usually looking at ebay (where barely-worn AEs can sometimes dip to ~100) or random discount retailers like 6pm. In both cases good styles in your size often only come around once in a while, so the $200 shoes are a pretty good deal, once again esp. for the Daltons.

Comment

Originally posted by Crims View Post
          It isn't the lowest you can find, and 1sts (as opposed to 2nds) sometimes dip down that low, at least for the Strands if not the Daltons. That being said the ~200 mark is pretty good. To get much below 200 you're usually looking at ebay (where barely-worn AEs can sometimes dip to ~100) or random discount retailers like 6pm. In both cases good styles in your size often only come around once in a while, so the $200 shoes are a pretty good deal, once again esp. for the Daltons.
          I just pulled the trigger on the last pair (in my size, as I was told) of bourbon Daltons. I was between the bourbon and walnut. Hope I made the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DNSamurai View Post
            I just pulled the trigger on the last pair (in my size, as I was told) of bourbon Daltons. I was between the bourbon and walnut. Hope I made the right choice.
            Bourbon's a great looking, really versatile color. The only caveats (From me) are:

1. They don't have a polish for it yet (they recommend walnut or black, depending on which AE people you ask / when you ask them). I imagine they'll have a polish for it soon, since bourbon is a new and really-high-selling color for them.

2. It's hard to find a belt that matches. They sell one, of course, but that's $~100 you might miss. I lucked out and found the last clearance gap belt in an olive-related color the other day, and it matched my bourbon strands pretty well. If you need a precise match, you'll probably have to buy AE, though.

Comment

Bourbon's a great looking, really versatile color. The only caveats (From me) are:

1. They don't have a polish for it yet (they recommend walnut or black, depending on which AE people you ask / when you ask them). I imagine they'll have a polish for it soon, since bourbon is a new and really-high-selling color for them.
              I was told Walnut for the polish. Or to take the walnut and mix it with some brown. They didn't mention anything about black to me. Not sure which is the correct advice to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                I was told Walnut for the polish. Or to take the walnut and mix it with some brown. They didn't mention anything about black to me. Not sure which is the correct advice to follow.
                I use a tiny amount of black polish on top of walnu polisht on my bourbon mcallisters and they blend perfectly in.

I believe they may have just released the bourbon polish but looks like its backordered..

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  Well, bourbon is (I think) walnut burnished black (does that make sense - I don't know about leather). The ae salesman who told me black said they used to advise walnut. I'd say use the one you want to - want it lighter or darker?

Comment

When the inventory list says a Strand in "Brown", do you guys know if that means "Brown burnished calf" as listed on the AE retail website? Are there different versions of the brown strand? I own walnuts and love them, but feel they're a bit bright for a navy suit. Wanting something a little more subdued, and I thought the brown would do the trick.

Comment

They only have 1 type of brown as far as I know for the Strands.

Comment

My bourbon Daltons arrive last night. I must say, they are an absolutely beautiful pair of shoes, but I don't know if I'll be keeping them. I tried them on and I just don't know if I love wearing a boot. I think I might also fall into the camp of people who would rather have a more rugged sole on a boot.

I may return them and grab a pair of the grey Aberdeens for $40 less. Anyways...a picture:

Last edited by DNSamurai; August 31, 2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Dalton for $199 is a super sweet deal.

The Aberdeens are made of a rougher leather and IMO, they don't look as good as the Daltons. You could always have a commando or Dainite put on when it's time for a resole.

Comment

It's hard to find a belt that matches. They sell one, of course, but that's $~100 you might miss. I lucked out and found the last clearance gap belt in an olive-related color the other day, and it matched my bourbon strands pretty well. If you need a precise match, you'll probably have to buy AE, though.
                            Folks around here seem really interested in finding belts that match shoes exactly. I'm not sure why, as I've never had an issue finding a decent belt that matches any color dress shoe. Are they exact, same-brand matches? No, but they're close enough that no one is ever likely to notice or care. A basic brown belt looks fine with brown shoes, whether they are a lighter "walnut" or a darker "chocolate." Personally I have not, nor ever will, spend $100 on a belt. Sorry for the rant, I just see a lot of folks posting about buying matching belts and I guess I don't get it. The bourbon color has a lot of variation in the tones of brown that make it fairly easy to pair, in my opinion. Own good brown and black belts useful for casual and dress occasions and you'll be good to go.

Comment

My BB Strands arrived yesterday!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5jmmfb09j...05.35%20PM.png

They are so beautiful and there's only a slight discoloration at the back of the heel. What a steal at $149!

Comment

Nice shoes.. Are these through the AE shoebank?? How much were they??

Originally posted by flyinghippo View Post
                                My BB Strands arrived yesterday!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5jmmfb09j...05.35%20PM.png

They are so beautiful and there's only a slight discoloration at the back of the heel. What a steal at $149!

Comment

Working...
                                X