No announcement yet.

Upcoming Allen Edmonds sales (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're probably right, and without a strong preference for balmoral over blucher, slavish devotion for the sake of simplicity seems silly. I'll kill two birds with one stone and try some of those RLs. The 5 last isn't particularly loose or tight - I think true to size is the safest bet for me.

The kenilworths are in all colors in my size, at $199 - not a bad price. I'm nervous about seconds in a shoe that seems to have more quality issues than others, though (and from an engineering perspective, it makes sense they would have more issues - fewer structural elements with simple parts means fewer errors, but when you have a complicated part, as I'm sure the vamp is, not having something to stabilize it probably increases the chance of error. Of course, maybe errors in either case would lead to unwearable shoes, in which case my model is off). Anyhow, they have brown and bourbon - which do you think is a more versatile choice for someone who wears 80% khakis, and the rest navy / grey?

Comment

Vic - thanks for the links, and the insight. I'll probably try or the Saunders in brown if they still have them.

Everyone - I should apologize, because I seem to have led us off into shoe-philosophy, rather than cheap-AE-scoring.

To lead us back, I'll emphasize something I have no use for, but that someone must.

The Mayfair seems like a deal at $99 for anyone who has to wear a tux at least once a year. I don't think I'll ever have to wear a tux again, so I'll pass.

Or do people just wear black captoe oxfords with formalwear, obviating the need for shiny patent leather bluchers?

Comment

Another shoe to consider would be the Stratford. It's another RL model, and it's a single monk. They only have them in snuff suede in my size (9.5D), and (pre sale price) they're only $120. I'd consider them, but I've already got plenty of snuff suede in my closet.

Comment

My life involves enough water that while I'm nervous about normal leather, I'd be neurotic about suede (I've had a few suede shoes in my life that quickly de-suedeified). I'd hate to be neurotic about a material that's supposed to be casual. And my preference for laces is pretty strong, simplifying my choices (no need to consider loafers or monks). So I think I'm good. I just put in an order for the saunders and sanderson in brown burnished and the slaton in black - maybe I'll get some mileage out of a slightly more casual black shoe than I do with my park aves. I think I'll hold off on the kenilworths for now - the price is good but not mind-blowing, and I feel like the Saunders boot will serve a similar clean-casual-flexible PTB (see, I used it) function.

Comment

Another shoe to consider would be the Stratford. It's another RL model, and it's a single monk. They only have them in snuff suede in my size (9.5D), and (pre sale price) they're only $120. I'd consider them, but I've already got plenty of snuff suede in my closet.
            I picked these up a couple of weeks ago for $120 and couldn't be happier. Mine showed up with zero flaws (at least to my eyes). I had been looking to add a single monk to my collection...plus, I'm a sucker for snuff suede

Comment

the brown sanderson is a great choice, i tried hard to get them but all in my size were badly damaged. it has a great shape and will go with any outfit. i'm going with the snuff version because i just can't pass it up...

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                I assume these are the same as the Norwich? I just got a pair in the brown and they are awesome. I paid $180 via the shoebank, and still think that was a good price. At $120, it's pretty much a no brainer.

Comment

I assume these are the same as the Norwich?
                  As stated above, I own the Stratford and have tried on the Norwich and they are different. For starters, they are built on different lasts. I tried asking AE customer service what last the Startford was on and they said it was made to RL requirements and they had no information on it. IMO, the Stratford is narrower and a little more sleek. Different buckles too. The Norwich has a silver buckle while the Stratford has a muted brass buckle with a small "RL" logo. I believe the sole on the Stratford is an oil-soaked butyl type and the Norwich has a regular leather sole.

Comment

Love the fact that I'll be driving by Freeport Maine on Labor day weekend... was hoping for a sale at that time too.
                    twitter: @adg_ca
                    instagram: @adg_ca

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeduke View Post
                      As stated above, I own the Stratford and have tried on the Norwich and they are different. For starters, they are built on different lasts. I tried asking AE customer service what last the Startford was on and they said it was made to RL requirements and they had no information on it. IMO, the Stratford is narrower and a little more sleek. Different buckles too. The Norwich has a silver buckle while the Stratford has a muted brass buckle with a small "RL" logo. I believe the sole on the Stratford is an oil-soaked butyl type and the Norwich has a regular leather sole.
                      Ahh got it. Thanks for the update. I was looking at the DSW website and the pictures are identical to the Norwich. I believe they have incorrect pictures?

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/ralph+lauren...?prodId=286853

Also I just picked up a pair of Sandersons in brown from Freeport. I told myself no more shoes, but at $129...I can't say no.

Comment

I picked up the Daltons in Bourbon and RL Singleton loafer in tan calf. I also have a pair of Amok chukkas in chocolate suede arriving tomorrow that I ordered from a different vendor this past weekend! I think I'm done with AEs for a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by redranger View Post
                          I believe they have incorrect pictures?

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/ralph+lauren...?prodId=286853
                          Doesn't look like it. The outsole is definitely RL.

Comment

Got my shoes today: Bourbon Dalton's, Tan Calf Singleton, and Chocolate Suede Amok. Really loving the Amok and Dalton but think the Singletons are going back. I'll post some pics in a few minutes (even the AE website doesn't have pics of the Bourbon Dalton yet! It'll be a Dappered exclusive look).

Edit: on second thought, I'll post those pics in the Recent Purchases thread, so as not to derail the purpose of this thread.
                            Last edited by Jamie; August 22, 2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

So do you guys think $199 for Dalton and Strand seconds is a good deal? Or better to wait?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DNSamurai View Post
                                So do you guys think $199 for Dalton and Strand seconds is a good deal? Or better to wait?

Thanks!
                                My read (newcomer, but did my homework) is that you won't do much better than that. You might get lucky on a 2 for 250 or a bigger than normal sale markdown, but you'd have to watch and wait for a while. If you want it now / don't want to spend the time required to hunt, you're very unlikely to do better, especially on the strands. If they discontinue the dalton, you might have a shot, but otherwise you did well. I'd chalk it up as a win and call it a day. Anyone more seasoned disagree with my assessment?

Comment

Working...
                                X