Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that one. Brass knob ensures fewer splinters with high probability. Split toe is probably better for a wider variety of shoes. Note - nordstrom sales (2x yearly) tend to have shoe trees (combination / split toe) without the shiny / non-splintery brass knob on sale for $15ish.

At the risk of sounding like a dorky scientist who doesn't hate hideous things, why have I not covered the hand-lifty part of my allen edmonds / JAB shoe trees with something easy to grip and less likely to hurt (I.E. Duct Tape). Anyone have a less hideous, similarly functional solution?

Comment

Funny story. I keep reading about the Bonobos Blazer on here. So I stop in Nordstrom today to try one on. Dude says they're sold out. I tell him they were just in sale for like 100 on the website and I just wanted to try one on. Dude says 100? You gotta jump on that brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        Cedar shoe trees with the brass knob at the top for $33 shipped at massdrop. It's a bit more expensive than the ones you can get on sale at JA Banks or STP but they seem to be much better design. Waiting for Fred to get back to me to see what he thinks but I'm considering picking up a few pairs. I think the brass knob would make them easier to insert and remove from boots than my standard shoe trees
        They look like unbranded Epics. I have more Epics than any other tree and think they are great! You can get them straight from Woodlore though anytime you want for $29 so I'm not sure how good a deal that is:
        http://www.woodlore.com/mens-epic-tw...hoe-tree-pair/
        I got most of mine from the now defunct "Cedarville Store." They used to have an SF code for Epics that brought them down to $21 or so, but alas they are gone now.

(Vicious, your mailbox is full.)

Comment

Just cleaned my inbox.

Thanks for the heads up Fred. I agree that it's cheaper ordering straight from the woodlore site. Glad I checked with you before ordering. $21 a pair would have been awesome. Too bad that code doesn't work anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
            I saw that one. Brass knob ensures fewer splinters with high probability. Split toe is probably better for a wider variety of shoes. Note - nordstrom sales (2x yearly) tend to have shoe trees (combination / split toe) without the shiny / non-splintery brass knob on sale for $15ish.

At the risk of sounding like a dorky scientist who doesn't hate hideous things, why have I not covered the hand-lifty part of my allen edmonds / JAB shoe trees with something easy to grip and less likely to hurt (I.E. Duct Tape). Anyone have a less hideous, similarly functional solution?
            So I go with the Epics now as well, but for all of the shoe trees that I bought from Nordstrom Rack, I added my own knobs. If you go to Home Depot / Lowes, they both have wood screws that have metal threads at the other end. Screw it in, leave the metal threads exposed, and you can then just get a pair of cabinet knobs but the next aisle over.

Comment

Too bad that code doesn't work anymore.
              More than just the code not working, the store is gone! Cedarville went belly up.

Comment

Cedar shoe trees with the brass knob at the top for $33 shipped at massdrop. It's a bit more expensive than the ones you can get on sale at JA Banks or STP but they seem to be much better design.
                I've read similar remarks about this kind of design before, so why is this design better than a toe split straight down the middle?

Comment

J.crew factory running a great deal, code XOXO takes an additional 30% off of already reduced prices + free UPS 2nd day air shipping.

J.crew factory's prices are always wonky and "already reduced" but this sale is SOLID. A lot of shirts are dipped as low as $25 before the additional 30%

Comment

Originally posted by Jayybee View Post
                    J.crew factory running a great deal, code XOXO takes an additional 30% off of already reduced prices + free UPS 2nd day air shipping.

J.crew factory's prices are always wonky and "already reduced" but this sale is SOLID. A lot of shirts are dipped as low as $25 before the additional 30%
                    The promo code is not giving me free shipping, anyone else having this issue?

Comment

I'm not sure what the proper forum etiquette is on this, but I want to make sure that you all see a few shoe deals that I posted over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                        The promo code is not giving me free shipping, anyone else having this issue?
                        Proceed to checkout and choose Expedited. Economy and Standard are still $5 and $8 respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by onerany View Post
                          So I go with the Epics now as well, but for all of the shoe trees that I bought from Nordstrom Rack, I added my own knobs. If you go to Home Depot / Lowes, they both have wood screws that have metal threads at the other end. Screw it in, leave the metal threads exposed, and you can then just get a pair of cabinet knobs but the next aisle over.
                          could you post some picture of your modified shoes tree that you done with the HD screw/knobs, so i can buy the right kind at HD.

thanks.

Comment

A few barbours on sale at orvis. Currently an extra 20% off sale items there,.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else got it, but about an hour ago I got a jcrew invite to their "Private Ludlow Suiting" event with 30% off fall/winter suiting styles. Custom code or I'd share it, but I expect it went to their entire mailing list.

Comment

No code for me. Maybe they know I've already spent too much there!

Comment

Working...
                                X