This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
    Yup. Didn't realize how ginormous that picture came out. Are you from/in the area?
    Yeah, I live in the South End.
    6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
      And yes, I'm aware that thin ties and thin lapels are faux pas now.
      Not really. If you're a broader guy wearing slim/skinny lapels and slim/skinny ties, it's never going to look quite right. However, if you're a slim/skinny guy, then 2.5" ties and lapels may best complement your body type. Either way, while slim/skinny lapels/ties may not be the new, hot fashion anymore, that certainly doesn't mean they're a faux pas. Besides, I thought we all are striving to be stylish, not fashionable, right?
      My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamnett View Post
        Yeah, I live in the South End.
        I've wondered how many Dappered forum members I've walked past in the city. It'd be fun to have a low-key Boston/N.E. area get together at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by diversification View Post
          Either way, while slim/skinny lapels/ties may not be the new, hot fashion anymore, that certainly doesn't mean they're a faux pas. Besides, I thought we all are striving to be stylish, not fashionable, right?
          This.

Comment

I have to agree with Fred about the 2.5. I'm a size 40, and my closet is filled with smaller then 3 inch ties I barely ever wear. And when I do, I'm unhappy with the look. 3" still works for me though.

Comment

I've tried staying around 3". The 2.5" JCrew ties have always been much too slim for my tastes.

Comment

I have a couple of 7cm Drakes that I got on clearance from NMLC just taking up space in my closet too. Hmm, maybe I should toss them up on Swap & Shop ...

Comment

Square end knit ties that are 2.5-2.75 are thicker throughout than comparable ties in the usual style which taper, so to my mind that's a good width for that style.

Comment

A 1" or 1.5" tie is certainly ridiculous:
                    http://www.cheap-neckties.com/blog/u...12.27.27PM.png

2.5" tie not so bad on small slim guys:
                    http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/upl...skinny-tie.png

2.5" tie bad on wider chests:
                    http://elitedaily.com/wp-content/upl...ie-awards1.png

You guys would have to see me in 3.25" ties that I bought from department stores. I look like the outfit on the left in this photo. I'm changing to skinnier ties (2.5"-2.75") to look more like the outfit on the right:
                    http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-con...se_WideTie.jpg

Can anyone really make the argument that I should look like the gentleman on the left?

Comment

I don't think anyone's saying it's ridiculous. It just doesn't work for some guys. Clearly it works for your frame.

Comment

Based on the Flusser passage, I think that a sub 3" tie would be perfectly acceptable for a sub-40R jacket. I think this will vary greatly based on body type - a sub 3" slim tie on a slim/skinny guy is going to look like a tie. A sub 3" tie on a broader guy may look like a skinny tie. Regardless, I will agree that 2.5" is probably a lower limit, just as 3.75 is probably an upper limit, regardless of body type or jacket size: anything above or below will likely look like a fashion play. Also, I want to clarify that I'm not saying "fashion" is synonymous with "bad" or "ridiculous" - I'm just calling a spade a spade.
                        My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

I'll add that, unless it's knit, it should still maintain the shape of a tie, even if it's slimmer. The rectangle strips of cloth 1" wide look horrible, like you tried to choke yourself with your belt, then gave up and went out the door.

Comment

Perhaps the tie width discussion deserves its own thread at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                              I have a couple of 7cm Drakes that I got on clearance from NMLC just taking up space in my closet too. Hmm, maybe I should toss them up on Swap & Shop ...
                              I'd be interested... I don't own any by Drakes, but based on what they have available on their site now, I'd like one!

Comment

Reiss one button peak lapel suit in air force blue. On sale for $260, down from $745.

Still available in 36R. I think shoulders are 16.5", and length is 28.5" but I would confirm that before buying.

http://www.reiss.com/us/mens/suits-a...airforce-blue/

Looks like a good deal, but I don't need another suit. And I don't think it is canvassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X