Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deals Around the Net: Open Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How could I replicate this deal if I wanted to try to find this in a 34S? Do I need to go to a store, find a random size that's too big, and then ask? Or could I call a number tonight, provide the item number, ask them to search inventory, and then explain the price in store was $200 minus 40%?

    Comment


      Hey guys, yes, I did do it shortly after the post from Jamie, while they still had the extra 40% off sale items going. It took a bit for the order to go through and the item to come in, so there was a bit of delay. I'm not sure you could replicate it today, as it looks like their extra % off sale has ended, so I apologize. Their customer service has always been great for me (most recently they paid for my dry cleaning on a coat that was stuffed into a tiny box and didn't de-wrinkle after being hung for a week), but I'm not sure how it would apply to this scenario considering the order was automatically placed if they were/are able to find the item in question. However, in-stores promo might still have extra discounts on sale going on, or extra markdowns. FWIW, this is the store that shows up on my jcrew card account for the item I linked: 1625 Chestnut St, Liberty Place, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103. Maybe give that particular store a call? If nothing else, maybe next extra discount on sale they run, we can get a thread going for people to post item numbers for what they found and test our luck.

      To Marathon: I always believe that it never hurts to ask. I called a store (Oakbrook, IL) and got the item search option that way (honestly, it was random, I had never heard of it and just wanted to see what it was). Wouldn't take but a few minutes to let the rep know you saw something you liked that was oos in your size and ask if they'll honor extra discount if they find it in a store.

      Comment


        That J Crew blazer looks pretty sweet... and close to the Bonobos Nottingham.
        6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

        Comment


          Originally posted by deebs View Post
          Hey guys, yes, I did do it shortly after the post from Jamie, while they still had the extra 40% off sale items going. It took a bit for the order to go through and the item to come in, so there was a bit of delay. I'm not sure you could replicate it today, as it looks like their extra % off sale has ended, so I apologize. Their customer service has always been great for me (most recently they paid for my dry cleaning on a coat that was stuffed into a tiny box and didn't de-wrinkle after being hung for a week), but I'm not sure how it would apply to this scenario considering the order was automatically placed if they were/are able to find the item in question. However, in-stores promo might still have extra discounts on sale going on, or extra markdowns. FWIW, this is the store that shows up on my jcrew card account for the item I linked: 1625 Chestnut St, Liberty Place, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103. Maybe give that particular store a call? If nothing else, maybe next extra discount on sale they run, we can get a thread going for people to post item numbers for what they found and test our luck.

          To Marathon: I always believe that it never hurts to ask. I called a store (Oakbrook, IL) and got the item search option that way (honestly, it was random, I had never heard of it and just wanted to see what it was). Wouldn't take but a few minutes to let the rep know you saw something you liked that was oos in your size and ask if they'll honor extra discount if they find it in a store.
          Great follow-up info and I think a thread like you propose could be worthwhile. This experience jives with what I've found with JC and JCF, i.e. you can only get the discounts while that discount is active - this is probably true with most stores, but CS one time told me that they can only apply a code/%/discount while it is active. It sounded like they just couldn't do it technology-wise since the code or discount was expired and they couldn't enter it any longer to get the discount to work.

          Comment


            snuff suede AE for RL sandersons on sale for $196, but if you add a filler to get to $200 you'll receive $50 off: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search

            at their best, seconds prices for these are $129. $150 for firsts is a great deal! i own these and enjoy them. they are not a gunboat lwb a la alden, but a sleeker one

            Comment


              Originally posted by pull View Post
              Great follow-up info and I think a thread like you propose could be worthwhile. This experience jives with what I've found with JC and JCF, i.e. you can only get the discounts while that discount is active - this is probably true with most stores, but CS one time told me that they can only apply a code/%/discount while it is active. It sounded like they just couldn't do it technology-wise since the code or discount was expired and they couldn't enter it any longer to get the discount to work.
              Also, check to see what the current discount on sale items is in store - I checked yesterday and it was an additional 50% off sale items (Final Sale - no returns/exchanges) - so that would take that jacket down to $100 if they have it. That's a steal for the quality of that particular jacket. I don't know if all stores are offering the 50% of final sale items though... But worth checking out.

              Comment


                Great info, Jamie (and thanks for originating this), and I bet they would if you followed the protocol outlined by deebs above. The rub here (and the reason for the increase from 40 to 50%) is that the item will be Final Sale, so usual caveats apply to something you're buying without seeing, trying on, etc.

                In other news, JCF has added a bunch more stuff to their clearance/sale. They currently only have no extra discount code running, but just a sale of 40-50% on women's stuff. HOWEVER, I just entered the previous code (as a lark) of SALE40 for an extra 40% off on some of those items while in my shopping bag, and it still worked! I was able to pick up several of the blazers from the Dappered Best of 2013 at $59. Tweed, Herringbone, etc. Thought I'd pass on this info to my Dappered brethren. Hope some can benefit before they figure out it's still active.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by pull View Post
                  Great info, Jamie (and thanks for originating this), and I bet they would if you followed the protocol outlined by deebs above. The rub here (and the reason for the increase from 40 to 50%) is that the item will be Final Sale, so usual caveats apply to something you're buying without seeing, trying on, etc.

                  In other news, JCF has added a bunch more stuff to their clearance/sale. They currently only have no extra discount code running, but just a sale of 40-50% on women's stuff. HOWEVER, I just entered the previous code (as a lark) of SALE40 for an extra 40% off on some of those items while in my shopping bag, and it still worked! I was able to pick up several of the blazers from the Dappered Best of 2013 at $59. Tweed, Herringbone, etc. Thought I'd pass on this info to my Dappered brethren. Hope some can benefit before they figure out it's still active.
                  Heck yes! Wanted a charcoal tweed jacket. Should get plenty of use before the winter is over. Between this and the Bonobos Nottingham, set on my winter blazers going forward.

                  I'm typically a 40L but rolling the dice on a 40R. May look decent, that whole new chopped jacket trend and such. Should be able to extend the arm length. If not... look for it listed here soon.
                  6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by fey View Post
                    snuff suede AE for RL sandersons on sale for $196, but if you add a filler to get to $200 you'll receive $50 off: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search

                    at their best, seconds prices for these are $129. $150 for firsts is a great deal! i own these and enjoy them. they are not a gunboat lwb a la alden, but a sleeker one
                    A few more suede models on sale:

                    Slaton for $210: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22796406
                    Stratford for $210: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22796416
                    Singleton in suede for $196: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22960126

                    I assume the Slaton and Singleton are made by AE, but the Stratford says made in Italy so not sure who makes that.

                    The extra discount is $20 off $100, $50 off $200, and $150 off $500, so if you buy three of them it comes out to about $150 each

                    Also, because of your post I found myself browsing the RRL sale section as well, and my wallet just ran away in fear.

                    Comment


                      Thanks for the J Crew Factory SALE40 tip; got a brown herringbone tie for $12.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by marathon View Post
                        Thanks for the J Crew Factory SALE40 tip; got a brown herringbone tie for $12.
                        Glad I could help. I got the same one - it looks awesome.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by trash View Post
                          A few more suede models on sale:

                          Slaton for $210: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22796406
                          Stratford for $210: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22796416
                          Singleton in suede for $196: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...uctId=22960126

                          I assume the Slaton and Singleton are made by AE, but the Stratford says made in Italy so not sure who makes that.

                          The extra discount is $20 off $100, $50 off $200, and $150 off $500, so if you buy three of them it comes out to about $150 each

                          Also, because of your post I found myself browsing the RRL sale section as well, and my wallet just ran away in fear.
                          the slaton and singleton are definitely AE. i am all sueded out for now, but they are also great deals!

                          Comment


                            I assume the Slaton and Singleton are made by AE, but the Stratford says made in Italy so not sure who makes that.
                            The Stratford is made by Allen Edmonds and I believe it does say 'Made in the USA' somewhere on the shoe. Must just be an error on their website. I own a pair that was purchased from the shoebank.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by marathon View Post
                              Thanks for the J Crew Factory SALE40 tip; got a brown herringbone tie for $12.
                              Looks like the SALE40 code also works on the khaki chino Thompson jacket, can be had for $44.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by fey View Post
                                snuff suede AE for RL sandersons on sale for $196, but if you add a filler to get to $200 you'll receive $50 off: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search

                                at their best, seconds prices for these are $129. $150 for firsts is a great deal! i own these and enjoy them. they are not a gunboat lwb a la alden, but a sleeker one
                                Looks like I contemplated the purchase too long and they're now sold out in a size 9. Oh well. The Slaton is the one I really wanted but that was sold out in 9 since I first learned of the sale. Not sure why 8.5, 9.5, 10, etc are all available but 9 is the 1st one to sell out.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X