This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diversification View Post
    Anyone tried the 1901, Calibrate and Nordstrom lines of button ups? Is there a noticeable quality difference between the 3? Does anyone know which is the trimmest?
    I've got all three, though I rarely wear any of them anymore. That's mainly due to ordering the wrong size, not quality. They're all decent, but I think the Nordstrom Trim Fits have nicer fabrics. I'm partial to the patterns & styles of the 1901 and Calibrate shirts however.

Here's their (limited) measurement chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Those Calibrate slim fits are a great deal. I already own 2 of them so don't want to add anymore gingham to my wardrobe at the moment.
      I grabbed one, but navy was out of stock in my size. Still shopping for a white/navy and white/red gingham.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
        I've got all three, though I rarely wear any of them anymore. That's mainly due to ordering the wrong size, not quality. They're all decent, but I think the Nordstrom Trim Fits have nicer fabrics. I'm partial to the patterns & styles of the 1901 and Calibrate shirts however.

Here's their (limited) measurement chart.

Thanks! Follow-up questions for you:
        1) Are the neck, chest, waist and arm measurements pretty accurate in your findings?
        2) Do they shrink?

I'm thinking about getting a 16" neck with 36/37 sleeve and either having them tailored or trying to shrink them, which is why I'm asking. (Unfortunately, I'm in-between sizes: a 35.5" would be my perfect sleeve.)
        My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Originally posted by diversification View Post
          Thanks! Follow-up questions for you:
          1) Are the neck, chest, waist and arm measurements pretty accurate in your findings?
          2) Do they shrink?

I'm thinking about getting a 16" neck with 36/37 sleeve and either having them tailored or trying to shrink them, which is why I'm asking. (Unfortunately, I'm in-between sizes: a 35.5" would be my perfect sleeve.)
          1. I remember the sleeve length being spot on, but I can't recall anything specific about the neck and waist.
          2. If anything, the neck may actually stretches after a few washes.

If you want them on the slimmer size, I would personally size down by half an inch at the neck, unless you're getting Slim Fits (the slimmer of the two).

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
            1. I remember the sleeve length being spot on, but I can't recall anything specific about the neck and waist.
            2. If anything, the neck may actually stretches after a few washes.

If you want them on the slimmer size, I would personally size down by half an inch at the neck, unless you're getting Slim Fits (the slimmer of the two).
            I have the "tirm fit" Calibrate shirts, which as bj notes are not the slimmest of their offerings - but they are trimmer than the Nordstrom trim-fits, in my experience.

I love the Calibrate ones - presently owning three of them, and wanting a few more. The neck seems perfect (16 here), and the sleeves, although being the non-exact sizing (34-35 in my case). They do not appear to shrink at all, however I have only washed them in cold water and hung them to dry. They launder very nicely in that regard. IIRC, they are a 96% cotton 4% spandex (or something) mix, so that might be the reason for that. In summary, I personally highly recommend them.

I also have purchased a few of the Nordy trim fits in the past year, but returned them soon after trying them on at home. Not as trim in the midsection as I had hoped for; not like the Calibrate trim that is.

Never tried a 1901 shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
              Calibrate trim and slim fit shirts are half off, down to $29.75 a shirt! Excellent deal for a well fitting shirt.
              anyone has a fit picture for the calibrate slim fit?

Comment

I've washed mine in warm water and then tossed them in the dryer. I didn't notice any shrinkage either.

Comment

BTW, the slimmer *slim fit* ones have a thinner/narrower? collar. FYI. I never even tried one on for fit purposes because I didn't like the look of the smaller collar.

Comment

Yeah, I don't like the collar on the slim fit. I'm a trim fit fan.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I have begun sizing down in the neck as it is trimmer all over. I normally wear these shirts with the top button unbuttoned, so it's not really an issue. Besides, I've found the 15.5" to be closer to 15.75" and are too big for me to wear with a tie. The 15" are a bit snug, but fit better. The 35" sleeves are a bit too long for me anyway, so I'm unlikely to be wearing them with a blazer anytime soon, so buttoning the top button is less of an issue.

Buy both, see what fits, return them.

I agree that the Nordstrom and the Calibrate fabrics are nicer than 1901, but I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite between the first 2.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
                      I grabbed one, but navy was out of stock in my size. Still shopping for a white/navy and white/red gingham.
                      I found several navy in-store tonight. Also found a white in the nordstrom trim. Might be worth stopping in if you have one close. I also agree that the 15.5 neck on the calibrate seems a little larger on these than others dress shirts.

Comment

The 1901 shirts are nice and hold up well. Plus there is more of a variety of patterns. I have several from both 1901 and Calibrate in my rotation. I don't find the collars to be much of a problem either, as I wear a tie most days. I buy true to size as well, so haven't had any issues needing to size up or down in the slim fits.

Comment

Knottery just added to their sales section.

http://theknottery.com/sale.html
                          My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                            This isn't so much a "Deal Around the Net" so much as a deal in store, but thought I'd provide a PSA. Both of my local J.Crew B&M stores are carrying this jacket for $200 with an additional 30% off - so $140:

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. My local store was sold out, but I called J.Crew and pressed the find item instore option, and I gave some lady the item number and a credit card number. She said they do some automated searching through their entire national store inventory, and if they can find it, they will auto purchase it and send it out. Well, they found it and shipped it for $120 ($200 - 40% off)! I think for future reference, it may be possible for people to get instore deals that other people find if you get lucky. I should note my size is sold out online, but the price online is still $328. I figured even if I didn't get the deal, I'd just return it, but everything worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by deebs View Post
                              Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. My local store was sold out, but I called J.Crew and pressed the find item instore option, and I gave some lady the item number and a credit card number. She said they do some automated searching through their entire national store inventory, and if they can find it, they will auto purchase it and send it out. Well, they found it and shipped it for $120 ($200 - 40% off)! I think for future reference, it may be possible for people to get instore deals that other people find if you get lucky. I should note my size is sold out online, but the price online is still $328. I figured even if I didn't get the deal, I'd just return it, but everything worked out.
                              great info - one question - you're saying you did this at the time Jamie posted, not today, right? I just want to get a sense for how to use this great information. thanks in advance

Comment

This is good info.

I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that J.Crew will always price match whichever is cheaper - the online or in store price. So if you find something In store that's a good deal but not in your size, but it's available online at full price, they will get it for you at the lower, in store price, and vice versa. They have good customer service so it's always worth asking.

Comment

Working...
                                X