This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
    I tried a 38R and the chest was too tight and I would have had to let it out. Also, I realized it was a little too short (pics in bruschetta's link above). So I wound up sizing up to a 40L and the chest fit better. This helped save a bit on the tailoring bill because I would have had to bring the waist in on either jacket (it's not all that tapered). With the 40L, I didn't have to worry about how much material there was to let out in the chest (or the cost for doing so). For what it's worth, the 40L (and presumably the 40R) is dead on 18" from seam-to-seam. I think the 38R was narrower.

In any case, I think the wool feels pretty good (not as nice as Suit Supply Sienna, but still nicer than some others). There is solid construction. From the inquiries I've made, the jacket is half-canvassed. It's double vented, with a ticke pocket and slanted pockets (for a somewhat slimming effect). I paid almost double the current price and was pretty happy with it at the time. I'd definitely say it's worth the sale price if you need a staple navy blazer. I priced it out earlier today and with bruschetta's code it's closer to $160 with the exchange rate. The tailored fit is also on sale at the same price, but the lapels are pretty skinny on that one (< 3").

I finally got around to taking pictures of me in the blazer today, but probably won't have time to post them until tomorrow night. I just wanted to give my two cents for anyone considering this sale.
    As promised, I posted some pictures of me in the blazer here.

Comment

BTW, I exchanged some messages with RBM a while back about the Tyrwhitt navy blazer. Ultimately I pulled the trigger on the tailored fit one, and overall, its workable, but I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the Brooks Brothers Regent or Fitz for a little more. The shoulders are a bit wide, coming in at around 19" on my 40R blazer, and ideally I'd take about an 18". At these sales prices its definitely a good deal if you're on a budget, and I wouldn't hesitate at $160.00, but I don't offer a rousing endorsement based on my fit needs. By the way, I don't find the lapels to be too skinny in person; its a nice, trim, somewhat fashionable blazer.

Comment

Oh, one more by the way, and I hope this is OK given that this is a "deal", but I just posted some NWT Brooks Brothers items, including a 41R unstructured blazer, over on the swap and shop section of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by AMProf View Post
          BTW, I exchanged some messages with RBM a while back about the Tyrwhitt navy blazer. Ultimately I pulled the trigger on the tailored fit one, and overall, its workable, but I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the Brooks Brothers Regent or Fitz for a little more. The shoulders are a bit wide, coming in at around 19" on my 40R blazer, and ideally I'd take about an 18". At these sales prices its definitely a good deal if you're on a budget, and I wouldn't hesitate at $160.00, but I don't offer a rousing endorsement based on my fit needs. By the way, I don't find the lapels to be too skinny in person; its a nice, trim, somewhat fashionable blazer.
          Do you size up on the trim fit?

Comment

Well, "exact" size is a 39. My ideal chest measurement is probably 21" pit to pit. They only had 38 and 40. I went with a 40 and it could be a touch more snug, but I haven't felt motivated to take it to the tailor. So in my experience, no, do not size up. YMMV, of course.

Comment

@jake89 - I don't think sizing up is necessary. Probably a better way of putting it is: try to find the shoulder width that fits you best and buy in whatever size is closest. These measurements can vary from brand to brand and I've found the measurement to be a lot more useful than the store size.

I will double-check, but my 40L Tyrwhitt Classic Fit blazer was almost spot on at 18" in the shoulders. It's too bad that AMProf found his Tailored Fit to be too wide for his liking. The shoulders are just about perfect for me. They are not unstructured, but I didn't find the padding to be too much. Also, the lapel on the classic fit is a fuller lapel but at 8 cm (3.14") it is by no means wide. The tailored fit is a 6 cm lapel (2.55"). The lapel measurements come from my chat with a customer service representative months ago. but I measure on my actual blazer when I get home today.

Comment

$30 off order of $60 or more at Shoebuy.com, info at Slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8982...g-v.me-by-visa

Get those double monks posted yesterday for $54.95.
                5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
                  @jake89 - I don't think sizing up is necessary. Probably a better way of putting it is: try to find the shoulder width that fits you best and buy in whatever size is closest. These measurements can vary from brand to brand and I've found the measurement to be a lot more useful than the store size.

I will double-check, but my 40L Tyrwhitt Classic Fit blazer was almost spot on at 18" in the shoulders. It's too bad that AMProf found his Tailored Fit to be too wide for his liking. The shoulders are just about perfect for me. They are not unstructured, but I didn't find the padding to be too much. Also, the lapel on the classic fit is a fuller lapel but at 8 cm (3.14") it is by no means wide. The tailored fit is a 6 cm lapel (2.55"). The lapel measurements come from my chat with a customer service representative months ago. but I measure on my actual blazer when I get home today.
                  Confirmed that my 40L Tyrwhitt classic fit blazer measures a hair over 18" in the shoulders and the lapel width is 3.25.'%

Comment

Finally a coupon code from Lands End. 30% off thru 2/26 with code RELATIVES and PIN 1315.

Comment

Don't know if this is where I should post it, but I thought it was a deal. I just purchased 50 feather blades for $16.71 which I thought was a bargain.
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Just and FYI vicious and other feather blade lovers(myself included). Kai blades are pretty much on par for sharpness and I absolutely love them too, the Japanese know how to make some sharp blades! I got many shaves per blade. So if you ever see them on sale, highly recommended.

Comment

I just ordered the Astra Platinums for ~$8.50 for 100 via Amazon S&S but it won't ship until next month. Now I'm really considering cancelling that order and ordering the feathers instead. Really wish I tried Astras before to see if they're satisfactory. Anyone want to send me some?

shad0w where can you find Kai blades?
                          Last edited by Redford; February 20, 2013, 02:47 PM.
                          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Redford - PM me your address and I'll slip one between a piece of paper in a letter. I think that should go through with no issues.

Comment

Herring Shoes is running a promotion where you get free shoe trees with a purchase using the promo code HSFEB.

Comment

Another UK deal: Harvie and Hudson is having a sale. Think of them as slightly-nicer-than-Brooks-Brothers.

Comment

Working...
                                X