Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it these sport coats are really good then? (I know nothing about them)

Comment

My Walmart has these. I just called. Okay not MY walmart, I'm visiting family up north at the moment... gonna go check this out.

Comment

@jonATL - Could you please post a link to the SF thread?

Comment

Harris Tweed is kind of a big deal. One of the major producers of fine tweeds in the world.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by thepenguin99 View Post
            You are going to get me in a walmart in December....... the horror.
            LOL!

Comment

Here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/the...g-thread/57690

Comment

Originally posted by Juan View Post
                @jonATL - Could you please post a link to the SF thread?
                Didn't see it on SF, but AAAC had it:
                http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...eed-at-Walmart

Comment

Thanks for the links! From the Sf pics, the cut seems to be extremely boxy so it will probably need a lot of tailoring. Also, I doubt the small suburban Walmart by me will have these.
                  Last edited by Juan; December 17, 2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Juan - 2 things:
                    1) It's Harris Tweed, they're typically made in a classic cut, and remember it'll be worn layered with a sweater most likely. They usually need a lot of tailoring.
                    2) Call! Easier than driving out.

Comment

Well the ruralish walmart near me doesn't have them. No surprise. Going to call some wally worlds in the nicer parts of the Memphis area and check.

Comment

Tried 3 Walmarts in nicer parts of Memphis. No go for me. Probably just going to wait and see if the one I bought from Mr Porter fits well with no need of tailoring. If it doesn't I may look into getting someone to ship me a Walmart jacket. Looks like the Walmart jacket would need a lot of tailoring to fit me but would be worth it for the price.

Comment

Went to Walmart. Here are my impressions:
                          1) I saw 3 patterns. The black/white herringbone (pictured), a blue/gray tweed, and the light brown tweed (pictured).
                          2) Plastic buttons, not leather. Will need to replace with leather (or more likely/easier to find - horn/brown)
                          3) Juan is right, it's a boxy cut. They had numbered sizes, S and R length. Found the 38R and the 40R to have short, wide sleeves. Obviously big in the waist, but that could have been fixed. Shoulders are strong, but they could work for some people.
                          4) Material is the real deal though

I didn't purchase primarily because of the amount of tailoring I'd need (waist, sleeves for sure, possibly chest) and that I felt like I could snag a cheaper one on Ebay with perhaps softer shoulders and get it tailored and come out cheaper. It may work for some of you though. Unable to proxy, sorry guys.

Comment

I called around and found a store near me (North Brunswick, NJ on Rt 1). As LosRockets said, 3 patterns, side vents, plastic buttons, I found S, R, and L lengths. Fabric was excellent, and I would have possibly bought all 3 patterns if the fit didn't suck. I couldn't find a single size that fit me in the shoulders. I'm usually a pretty reliable 40R, but the 40Rs had a big divot between the shoulder padding and my actual shoulder/arm. Oddly enough, both the 42R and 38R fit me better in the shoulders which makes no damn sense. All sizes had a weird wrinkle in the fabric running from my right shoulder towards my chest. My hunch is the left didn't have it due to the added weight of the breast pocket.

The fabric was really nice though! I bet they tried a new manufacturer to make the SCs and they messed up a dimension or something. Rather than write off the whole thing they added plastic buttons and dumped them on Walmart. It seems like the angle between the end of the shoulder and the bottom of the armpit is off or something. I have 2 SCs at the tailor now and I really don't want to deal with another tailoring bill so I passed. If you can get a good fit in the shoulders OTR with these they really are a steal and you should consider grabbing all 3. Waist suppression is cheap, rebuilding shoulders is not.

Comment

May as well add the location: Laurel, MD Walmart off of 198E. I thought the armpit angle was off also, now that you mention it.

Comment

I purchased one in a 40R, I usually wear a 42R, but it seems like the shoulders are still too big. I think I'm going to take it back.

Comment

Working...
                                X