Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would have helped me a week ago before I boot the Clarks DB from Amazon. Oh well.

Comment

Travis, it was an easy choice for me- Im a sucker for the broguing.

Comment

http://www.lastcall.com/search.jhtml?N=0&Ntt=walkover&_requestid=2912

^ 50% off in cart for all Walk-Over. (~$82-$99) PROMO Code: LCAUG75 for free shipping. Good deal on some Made in the USA shoes.

Comment

Must...not...buy...brick suede chukkas...

Comment

They are pretty sweet. You should probably just buy them. Why have restraint? Haha

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

HauteLook has Made in America Levi's for $69. Styles include the 501, 505, and 511. Also trucker jackets for $89.

If you do not have an account, here is my referral link. Thanks.

http://www.hautelook.com/short/3FWjI

Comment

Just bought a pair. Think they would look good with dark jeans this fall. $104.48 shipped.

Comment

Jubal, yours is the first referral link I've ever used here. That particular sale is one great find.

The deals on Levi's Made in the U.S.A. stuff on Hautelook right now are the best thing I've ever seen posted here, at least in terms of stuff I'm in the market for. Those prices are unbeatable ANYWHERE online, with the possible exception of used/defective stuff popping up on eBay from time to time. Believe me, I've been monitoring that stuff at multiple sites on a daily basis for months.

Thanks for the heads-up! I've already placed an order for the raw Made in the U.S.A. jacket for under $100 shipped -- that same jacket is currently going for $210 on the Levi's site!

Comment

This probably isn't new, but I only just noticed it. When I log into the American Express app on my iphone, there's an offer for $10 back on any purchase of $99 or more at DSW, either in store or online. Posts as a statement credit, so should be combinable with any other offer. I assume this works with any AMEX issued card. Lots of other non-clothing related offers too.

Comment

Bulldoggery - what's so great about a made in the USA vs a standard Levi jean?

Comment

Are they selvedge denim?

Comment

The Levi's Made in the U.S.A. line has a number of advantages over "standard" Levi's:

(1) As the name would imply, they are made in the U.S.A., which is a big draw for a lot of people. For some styles, this means "constructed in the U.S.A. out of Japanese denim;" for others (notably the 501 and the raw denim jacket), it means "made entirely in the U.S.A., using denim from Cone Mills in North Carolina." Most hardcore denimheads would agree that Japanese denim is superior to most U.S. denim, but in this case, we're really splitting hairs. Unfortunately, in spite of the company's all-American image, about 90% of Levi's have been made entirely overseas for a very long time -- the Made in the U.S.A. line is a notable exception.

(2) Levi's Made in the U.S.A. jeans are all made of selvedge denim. If you don't know what that implies, here's a good primer on the subject: http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/03/the...-it-all-about/ In fact, that site has an outstanding primer on raw denim in general: http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/09/the...100th-article/ I'm frankly surprised that HauteLook doesn't mention or show off the fact that these are selvedge jeans -- this and other factors give me the impression that whoever listed those items on their site really doesn't know exactly what it is they're selling!

(3) Levi's Made in the U.S.A. jeans are made with nicer hardware (rivets, zippers, buttons) than standard Levi's, and parts of them are carefully hand-finished. Again, this is a big deal to people who are into American jeans and don't hate Levi's. The short version of why any of this really matters is that these jeans are more similar to the classic Levi's of decades past, in terms of fabric and hardware quality, than anything in the standard Levi's line. And people who are serious about American denim are often serious about "heritage clothing"/"classic workwear," so they're looking for an authentically classic clothing experience in every way possible.

(4) Due to all the factors listed above, Levi's Made in the U.S.A. jeans are known to break in better over time, to produce better fades (again, some people are into this), and potentially to be more durable than standard Levi's. This goes back to the quality control issue discussed in another thread here -- standard Levi's are made in all kinds of third-world countries, and with that comes a substantial degree of variability in quality (from the dying of the denim to the durability of the stitching and hardware).

(5) This may belong under #4: with tighter quality control, the fit of Levi's Made in the U.S.A. products is much more reliable than the fit of standard Levi's products. In other words, if you buy five pairs of raw Made in the U.S.A. 501s in the same size, they will all start off the same size (prior to washing). If you try on five pairs of Made in the U.S.A. 511s in the same size and finish, they'll all fit the same: as the 511 cut is intended to fit. This is unfortunately NOT the case with standard Levi's styles, which are infamous for slightly different fits (even within the same style) depending on what factory they came from.

One note of caution for those who don't know: the raw 501s listed on HauteLook are unsanforized or "shrink-to-fit" (STF), and they WILL shrink significantly when exposed to water and allowed to dry. This is the way all jeans were for decades, before Levi's and others adopted the sanforization (pre-shrinking) process. 501 STFs are, therefore, the most classic-style jeans Levi's makes outside of the Levi's Vintage Clothing sub-brand (which is comprised largely of exactingly faithful reproductions of 501 STFs from different years -- see http://www.levisvintageclothing.com/501_story.php ).

There's a whole subculture within the denim subculture devoted to how to properly choose your 501 STF size, how best to soak your jeans prior to wearing, and how best to dry them (hang dry vs. allow to dry while wearing). I won't claim that my opinions in this area are authoritative, but I can direct you to another couple of links for further information:

http://501xx.info/blog/levis-501xx-shrink-to-fit-faq/

and

http://thighsbiggerthanyourhead.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-shrink-to-fit-stf-your-levis.html

That second one is a blog run by a guy with huge thighs (hence the title), and his pictures give you a good idea of how 501 STFs can end up fitting someone with a similar build. Honestly, the fit shown at the bottom of the page linked above is pretty ideal for a classic straight-leg jean. Based on that picture, a guy with big thighs could reasonably employ traditional indigo or darker navy 501 STFs as "dress" jeans.

One final note about the HauteLook sale: all of the jeans they have are described on the site as "true to size," but this is clearly not true, as illustrated by their model's listed measurements and the jean sizes he's allegedly wearing. Based on personal experience with those jeans, my guess is that they incorrectly listed either his measurements or the jean sizes he's wearing, but who knows?

This is most noteworthy with the 501s, which HauteLook does not mention are shrink-to-fit. They are, and people desiring a "relaxed" fit often size up as much as two inches in the waist for that reason. If you want a better (slimmer) fit, buy true-to-size, soak them per the instructions linked above, and allow them to dry while wearing them. Too much trouble? Maybe. That depends on your desired outcome, your interest in experiencing what jeans-wearers experienced until the late 1970s, and other factors all related to personal preference. I've never purposefully worn wet jeans and allowed them to dry on my body, but I understand why some people do.

Comment

I bought the same 505s in Nordstrom Rack for the same price, $60. FYI, they are made from White Oak Cone Denim. These are serious. They run TTS. I wear a 31x30 in most Bonobos pants and I had to size up to a 32 in the Levis and they're still quite snug.

Also, the 501s are shrink-to-fit. For an unconventional break-in, you can buy the 501s TTS in the waist and 3" long in the inseam, wear the hell out of them without washing, and then shrink them. The denim will break in and stretch out a lot and you'll have to cuff them for that long period of time that you're breaking them in, but it makes for an interesting... life.

Levis trucker jackets run long in the sleeves and slim in the body. I usually wear size S shirts (15/32-33) but I had to buy a size M trucker jacket. I believe this is by design - they were originally seen as "shirt jackets". The sleeves are long to keep your arms covered when holding the steering wheel or handlebars.

Comment

@Bulldoggery - 1000 mile boots? Red Wings? USA made Levis?

Looks like you and I have a firm appreciation for hertiage Americana workwear. I'll let you know if I find any good deals in my searches.

Comment

The price is certainly enticing on the jeans. 514s fit me perfectly, too bad they aren't selling those as well.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                                X