Charles Tyrwhitt New Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Tyrwhitt New Prices

I just received an email from Charles Tyrwhitt stating that they’ve lowered their retail prices from $110 to $69 for their non-iron selection. It sounds to me like they’re moving on to a more “every day low-price” model, so I wanted to post a thread to discuss this. Do you think it might affect their sale structure? Their shirts are known to be a good option at the $69 price point, and an incredible deal when they go on sale at $30.

What are your thoughts?

here is a link to their shirts showing the new pricing.

I think the CTs and Banana's of the world have backed themselves into a corner, and unless they want to end up like JAB before they were bought out, they have no choice. Personally, I welcome it. That said, I wouldn't purchase one at $69.

Comment

Every time I've checked their website recently, they have had the deal four shirts for $200, including 30 seconds ago, so $69 doesn't sound like much of a deal.

And I just purchased a shirt from them last week on clearance for only $39.

As far as ever buying a shirt from them for $69---well, by the time you pay extra for a pocket and a monogram (if you want those things), the price is getting close to where I would consider paying for a custom shirt, like I used to buy back when I wasn't so cheap.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I wish more retailers would move to the every day low price ("EDLP") model. Jacking up the retail price and constantly discounting just feels a little scam-y to me and erodes my trust in the retailer.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs116 View Post
          I wish more retailers would move to the every day low price ("EDLP") model. Jacking up the retail price and constantly discounting just feels a little scam-y to me and erodes my trust in the retailer.
          Not to mention how much of a pain it is to sit on a full price item, waiting for it to go on sale when you KNOW that it has sold for less in the past. Then it does go on sale, you buy it, and it goes on even deeper discount right after the price adjustment policy expires. Thanks, J.Crew.

Comment

CT was engaging in the "useless" price model to sell four shirts. That is, one shirt for $110, four shirts for $199. This is a psychological selling tactic; they never expect to sell you one shirt.

Now, they are still doing this, but trying to throw in a "everyday discount" trick. That is, normally $110... but, slashed to $69. Now, we have an incentive to buy the $69 shirt. But wait! Still four shirts for $199. So, they still want to sell us four shirts.

I can't fault companies for playing this game. It is simple human psychology just like marking items "8.99" instead of "$8.99"

It is true that some companies do exactly the opposite of all of this when they are trying to sell luxury. For example, the Bottega Veneta site is all like "Shirt $950."
            Last edited by ianr; February 27, 2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I have a closet full of their shirts, but the pricing schemes are frankly tiring and ponzi-grade. It does force you to buy shirts in multiples. Prices increased significantly when Nick Wheeler sold the company. Most my new shirts are from Spier and Mackay now.

Comment

I am not seeing the "new" prices but a lot of their shirts are on sale for $35 and $29.5. If you signup for there emails you get a 20% code plus free shipping bring 4 $35 shirt to $100 or yeah $25 per shirt which is pretty hard to beat

Comment

Originally posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
                  I have a closet full of their shirts, but the pricing schemes are frankly tiring and ponzi-grade. It does force you to buy shirts in multiples. Prices increased significantly when Nick Wheeler sold the company. Most my new shirts are from Spier and Mackay now.
                  sure the pricing is quirky but really every outlet is like this. The shirts or any discount item never sells for MSRP just given you the notion you are getting a great deal. However if you just set a price and say if I get a CT shirt for "x" amount or under it's a good deal. For me that is $30 or under with shipping.

Spier McKay looks really good and I have been tempted to get their stuff multiple times but there shirts even on sale tend to be more money than CT and they don't offer any 32" sleeves. I have spoken to the store a couple times and they are willing to do alterations to anything which is awesome but that is more money. So in my eyes getting arguably one of the better off the rack shirts for $25 per shirt is just stellar.

Comment

Working...
                  X