Brooks Brothers is doing 50% off suits and sport coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    ...hilarious? Mainline BB suits retail for well north of $1,000... most Dappered readers are shopping in a price range where $400 for a Suitsupply suit is a stretch. They view mainline J.Crew as accessible only when it's steeply discounted. It's hardly surprising that BB, which retails much higher and runs sales less frequently, doesn't really register on most people's radars when they are looking for an affordable suit.

Plus, regardless of the fact that BB does offer some slimmer/more modern cuts, BB has a solid reputation for being the store that sells old man sack suits to old men. You can find more modern, youthful, style-conscious cuts if you know to look, but that's certainly not the image BB projects to would-be buyers.
    Don't know about that last point. If you run through all the sportcoats and suits, the majority of them now have modern-leaning lapels. Historically, they've been all about the sack suit, but it's been a while.

This is not a defense of BB. I own a very small amount of BB, and most of it is Black Fleece.

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
      And here's the argument I was expecting. Brooks Brothers is sold in just about every mall in America. They practically invented the OCBD and is often the stereotype and/or caricature of the stuffy menswear clothier of choice.

Just because someone can't afford to shop at Brooks Brothers doesn't mean that person hasn't heard of it or is unfamiliar with its general reputation. Also, Joe CONSTANTLY posts Brooks Brothers sales on Dappered, so the 'readers aren't familiar with the brand' argument doesn't really stick for this specific audience.
      Uhhhh I'm not seeing where anyone has claimed not to have heard of Brooks Brothers. A person can certainly know that Brooks Brothers exists (and that its products are hella expensive compared to the standard department store/mall store brands) without necessarily having a good idea about whether their products are a good value at any given price.

I, for example, know that Brooks Brothers exists. I have some idea of its reputation. I've even purchased a number of non-suit items from Brook Brothers over the years. But I have no familiarity with the brand's suits, other than a few I've seen in thrift shops, and certainly wouldn't care to guess at their relative value or quality without the opportunity to see them in-person and try them on. Even if I have a general sense that a BB suit is probably higher quality than a SS suit (for example), that doesn't help me or anyone else answer the question of whether a BB suit that's half-price at $600 is at least 50% better than a $400 SS suit, thereby justifying the price premium (even at the sale price); or whether a $600 BB sale suit would be a better, worse, or equal value to one of SS's more premium suits at around the same price.

"Familiarity" with a brand does not come down to simple name recognition... it has to do with experience with that brand and its products. Experience that most people simply aren't going to have when the brand's products are so far outside their typical spending limits.
      Last edited by LesserBlackDog; February 17, 2017, 04:05 PM.
      Ben

Comment

I need a seersucker for a wedding in Oklerhomer this summer. Those aren't discounted sadly.

JAB has some on clearance but they're fully lined and the armholes are looowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Hafta wait and see what hits in a month or so.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          I need a seersucker for a wedding in Oklerhomer this summer. Those aren't discounted sadly.

JAB has some on clearance but they're fully lined and the armholes are looowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Hafta wait and see what hits in a month or so.
          Sadly it's poor timing to get S/S stuff on sale right now. I have a BB 1818 navy seersucker suit which I like quite a lot, got it on sale for something like $200-300 if I remember correctly. I think it's quite reasonable to expect to get BB mainline stuff at 30-40% off MSRP, which is why it gets featured on the main site even though it retails for $500+. I think of it like AE, there are definitely customers out there who go in and buy at retail, but for anyone who spends a bit of time on forums and blogs, they're only buying AE and/or BB when there's a sale.
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Oh I'm not worried, there's PLENTY of time and I finally found a great tailor that can do same-day turnaround if necessary on *MOST* work. It's not cheap but they're GOOD, and they're very friendly and know me well now.....so I can bide my time.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
            X