Spier & Mackay Sale Blowout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier & Mackay Sale Blowout

I hadn't purchased anything from Spier & Mackay before, but I visited their site for the first time and started in the sale section. I noticed they were blowing out their washed chinos for $14.99 Canadian and got to feverishly googling about their fit compared to other brands. Not a lot in the way of pictures when it comes to their chinos. Lots about their shirts and suits, a little about the more refined trousers, but not anything really about chinos. I get the feeling their going to fit similarly to the Bonobos slim fit line, which my wife likes the look of, but they're not really great for pairing with sportcoats of any kind. Great casual pants to throw on with a tshirt or polo or casual button down. I ended up sizing up from my normal 33" to a 34" waist, but I'm not really sure what to expect.

I know they have their measurements listed on the website, much easier to find than most sites and more thorough as well. So I'm relatively comfortable that they'll at least fit around my calves. The thing is, I ordered three pairs and the total came to $52 Canadian, or about $41 and change USD. That's a ridiculous price for three pairs of chinos. Especially if they compare favorably to Bonobos. I usually stick with slim Bonobos or the Sutton from JCrew Factory... although I find the Suttons leave me with a little too much room in the thighs, while being perfect from the knee down.

I figure it's worth a shot for the price and if they are too big in the waist, but tight from the knee down... lesson learned and I might have some pants to sell off. I've seen a SM rep posting about blowing out the chinos due to a 2nd iteration ("new & improved") being launched in May, so we'll see what improvements are made.

They also have some nice looking knit ties going for about $10 Canadian now as well. Worth a look if you already are comfortable with the brand or looking for a cheap pair of pants.

So, how did they fit?

Comment

Well, since I just placed it yesterday and they ship from Canada... I'll let you know next week maybe?

Was hoping someone had experience with the fit of their pants, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see then report back.

Comment

I ordered my suit on a friday and it arrived monday. May not take that long.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

No 31s or 32s in sight....dammit. I love both suits I have from Spier & Mackay and have great trust in their quality and fit.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. So the pants came in late last week. I gave them a try and here are my thoughts:

- The material: Nice, if a little thin (this isn't a bad thing). It's not JCrew summerweight chino thin, but noticeably thinner than any regular pair of chinos I own from Bonobos, JCrew, or Gap. I like that, especially this time of year when things are going to start cranking up in heat and humidity.
            - The waist: As i type this, I'm wearing a pair of 33x30 Bonobos Slim chinos. They fit great. I ordered the S&M in a 34 waist because I could always take them in and my tailor is great. I tried them on and they fit just slightly looser than these bonobos. I'm thinking if I manage to throw them in the dryer, they'll probably come in some because that's what I've been known to do to clothes from time to time. I am glad I sized up is the point here, but it's not a HUGE difference.
            - The thigh: this is where I really liked the fit. With bonobos, sometimes the thigh can run a little snug for my liking. I had a couple pairs of 33x30 pants from Brooks Brothers' red fleece line and they're so tight in the thighs, I just gave up on them. When it comes to the Sutton from JCF, I like the waist and I like the calf, but the thigh always seems just a little TOO big and I get some bagginess in the quad area, not so much in the back. With the S&M, I think I've found a sweet spot in between. Very nice.
            - The calf: Also fit very well. Slightly more fitted than the Suttons but not as much as the Bonobos slim. Sometimes when I wear over the calf socks with bonobos, it's difficult to do without catching. Sutton has a great leg opening. Definitely on the right side of things though. (Side note, I have the hardest time getting legit measurements here. JCF site says the suttons have a 15" opening, while the bonobos site says the slim pants have a 15.5" opening in my sized waist. There is just no way that's right. S&M website says my size waist has a 15.6" opening, so who knows what's going on here.)
            - Length: They're only sold in 36" inseam, so 30" inseam guys like me will need to visit the tailor.

I'm very interested to find out what they're "improving" on the pants, because I found them very comfortable and flattering. I usually like my pants to fit slim, but not too slim because then I end up looking all top heavy because I do have a slightly larger build up top (I swear I work out legs all the time!). Fit was good, feel was comfortable, material was nice. For the price they're selling at now ($14.99 Canadian), it's a real steal, IMO. I just checked and they're still available too. I got them in British Khaki, Sage Green, and a very cool Clay color (wife liked them all). You sort their whole huge sale section by Low-to-High and they're only on the 2nd page of results. It's ridiculous. They also have some decent looking knit ties for under $10, but I can't speak to the quality there.

Comment

Thanks for the review! That convinced me to go ahead and snag a pair. Needed a replacement for an almost worn out pair of dockers and the lightweight fabric should be great for a North Carolina summer.

Comment

Working...
              X