No announcement yet.

Stafford Deacon and Gunner Leather Boots $47.99 after 20% off coupon SEPTSALE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stafford Deacon and Gunner Leather Boots $47.99 after 20% off coupon SEPTSALE

Bought both the Deacon and Gunner for $47.99 each. They are currently 40% off of $100 which brings them down to $59.99. If you buy both it pushes you over the $100 mark, which allows you to use the 20% off SEPTSALE coupon to get an additional 20% ($12.00) off each.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/s...ncharset=UTF-8

Originally posted by caseten View Post
    Bought both the Deacon and Gunner for $47.99 each. They are currently 40% off of $100 which brings them down to $59.99. If you buy both it pushes you over the $100 mark, which allows you to use the 20% off SEPTSALE coupon to get an additional 20% ($12.00) off each.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/s...ncharset=UTF-8
    I bought an earlier version of these boots last fall. I didn't like them initially - too big, uncomfortable, and the finish was not very durable. They aged better over time, but I wouldn't rate them any higher than an "everyday" type boot quality-wise. Good looking and good wearing for casual wear. They are definitely a good value in the $50-75 range.

However, there are MUCH better boots in the $75-100 range if you shop around in my opinion. Well worth the effort to seek out these better deals. Higher quality footwear is often DEEPLY discounted, and superior quality-wise. The difference is noticible in terms of wearability as well as looks.

I am a huge JCP supporter, but they keep in mind that their niche is the lowest possible price point. There are equally good "deals" if you are willing to spend a bit more. By all means, these JCP boots are fine if you want some variety in your wardrobe, but be warned that they are not the best long-term choice if your budget only allows for 1 or 2 pair.

Comment

Happened to try on both the Deacon and Gunner. I would have to agree with Hobo that these do seem initially a bit on the larger side.

I didn't pick up either because though the price is extremely tempting, I thought they were a bit sleeker (I'm a slender guy) but unfortunately they aren't.

Good buy for casual wear though.

Comment

Yeah, JCP has the right idea with some of their recent products. This line is fairly stylish, and the prices sure are appealing. I didn't mean to discourage Caseten from making the purchase - these are the best looking genuine leather boots you'll find for $50.

I do like my 2014 Gunners now that they are broken in and roughened up. The point I was trying to make is that despite the stylish touches, these are basically embellished work boots. They have a big sloppy feel, clunky soles, and seem more appropriate for casual use. Regular cleaning/polishing might give them a more formal feel, if that's his intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobo Johnson View Post
          However, there are MUCH better boots in the $75-100 range if you shop around in my opinion. Well worth the effort to seek out these better deals. Higher quality footwear is often DEEPLY discounted, and superior quality-wise. The difference is noticible in terms of wearability as well as looks.
          What would recommend in that price range?

Comment

Firemunkee, 6PM is one of the better places I have found for shoes. They also have 10% off deals about once a month

Similar to Deacon $75

http://www.6pm.com/h-by-hudson-harland-tan

Similar to Gunner (in Black Leather) $80:

http://www.6pm.com/calvin-klein-levi...arcoal-leather

As I said, a little more expensive but very nice boots (IMO) for the price

Comment

Originally posted by Hobo Johnson View Post
              Firemunkee, 6PM is one of the better places I have found for shoes. They also have 10% off deals about once a month

Similar to Deacon $75

http://www.6pm.com/h-by-hudson-harland-tan

Similar to Gunner (in Black Leather) $80:

http://www.6pm.com/calvin-klein-levi...arcoal-leather

As I said, a little more expensive but very nice boots (IMO) for the price
              Hobo, thanks for the suggestions. As I haven't received the Deacon and Gunner's I can always return them if I'm not satisfied.

Comment

Hey Caesten:

I truly feel bad for being critical of the JCP boots. You had good reason to be feeling good about a solid score. I actually ordered a pair of the 2015 Gunners so I can give them a fair evaluation with an open mind.

After reading some more posts I see that the newer versions are supposedly improved over the 2014's. One of my beefs with last years version was the clunky workboot sole, and this has apparently been addressed. Also, the sizing. The 14's seemed to be geared towards fat dudes that wear X widths. Just totally sloppy and un-dapper for a skinny dude like me. I mean, you have to use gel soles and thick socks to take up the all the extra slack. I'll withhold judgment t until the new ones come in, and I promise to give props to the 15's if they are worthy.

As far as the alternative choices in footwear, all of us tend to graduate towards the next plateau. Better quality shoes just fit and wear better. You can tell the difference, and there is no scientific way to quantify it. All I'm saying is that it is well worth the effort to try a nicer pair when you are able and willing. $75 is still not a whole lot to spend on a pair of quality boots. good luck, John

Comment

Well, I picked up my pair of '15 Black Gunners this weekend from the catalog desk at my local JCP, which I promptly exchanged for the tan version in the shoe dept. I'm wearing them today for the first time.

I'm happy to report that the current style is greatly improved over prior versions of their similar boots. In fact, you really should consider these an altogether new product. The fit, comfort and appearance are similar to boots costing more. Break-in does not seem to be a problem this time around, and even the interior padding is decent.

On the downside, there is some obvious cost-cutting to get these out the door at $50. The soles are not as clunky, but still on the cheap side. I would have liked to see an extra loop on the tongue to take up some of the slack in the upper portion of the boot. Also, the finish seems thin - as I'm already getting some scuffs under very light usage. They are still an entry-level dress boot - not quite mid-level in quality.

Overall though, these are a great bargain. The new Gunners are deserving of the positive reviews on this forum and elsewhere. Kudos to JCP for listening to - and addressing the gripes expressed in the past.

Comment

At $99 I didn't like the Deacons. They felt cheap. At $50, they were a purchase for me. I needed a boot and on the heels of 2 AE purchases, I was gun shy about a high dollar purchase on yet another new pair of shoes. For the price though, I jumped on them. You will want to size down or try them on first. My AEs are perfect at 10.5D, but the Deacons were a tad loose, which I was ok with.

Comment

I just bought a pair of black Gunners for about $50; that's great for a pair of beater boots for when it's rainy/snowy and I need to be in a jacket and tie. I got caught inside a store during a downpour wearing my Strands last week, and I dreaded the walk back to my car in the rain. I nearly ordered the Gunners from my phone when I got back in the car.

Comment

I picked up the gunners in both brown & black to keep from ruining my AE Bleaker St's in bad weather. The originally went to JCP to pick up my online order and the guy said he had a returned black paid he could sell me for $25.00. So I now have black & brown for a total of $63

Comment

Working...
                        X