Nordstrom McClean 1000 miler sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordstrom McClean 1000 miler sale

I picked up a pair of these McClean 1000 milers from nordstrom. The left shoe had a defect with the left shoe's cap toe. So I ordered another pair to see if they would be better. They are, but I still have a question about the quality of the stitching.

Here is the cap toe from the 2nd pair. This is the left shoe, and you can see the stitching is not straight.

Here is the bottom of the right shoe. The stitching on the left shoe around is evenly spaced, but this one you can see gets a little close to the edge on the inside.

Is this an acceptable level of stitching error for a claimed $400 MSRP (sale price $259+tax) boot?

For the sole stitching, once they need re-soling, can this issue be avoided on the new sole or has it been forever set this way by the initial error?

It makes me wonder if these are produced in the same place as the originals. I've read that the leather is thicker in the mccleans by a little bit, can anyone comment on that? Is it of the same quality of the original 1000 miler? They do smell amazing, and feel reasonably soft but I am not very experienced.

Thanks

Honestly I would wear them and not worry about it at all. They are boots read workwear. Boots will go through hell at least mine do.

They should hold up just fine.

Lace them up and go get dirty never look back.

Honestly the sole doesn't look bad at all.

Comment

I'm with Brent K on this. The books look fine to my eye.

Comment

If it's going to bother you, then I wouldn't keep them. You can always try again, or just give up on them and wait for another good sale. There's sales on boots all the time at different websites, and as long as Nordstrom has the same pair, you can get them to price match.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I ordered 3 pair total, and picked the best set. Which is the ones shown. I don't think the tiny flaws will bother me because they are pretty minute and the cap toe stitching is only noticeable up close. Which no one will be looking at during use, including myself. I know these boots dipped a little lower last year during their anniversary sale, but they are not likely to get another $30 cheaper again I think. If they do come up cheaper, like the bison 1k's on Union made then they are usually final sale. I'm willing to pay the extra $30-50 now because I was able to try on 3 pair and pick the best pair for free via Nordstrom.

My main concern was if the issues were going to affect the longevity and wear of the shoe. Between the advice here and my post on reddit it seems there shouldn't be. It also seems like even shoes in the $350-500 range will have some minor stitching issues like this from time to time.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMethod View Post

I ordered 3 pair total, and picked the best set.
            I picked up these boots during the Anniversary sale last year and saw many of the same issues you did: Uneven captoe, weird stitching, overly veiny leather, unusually thin tongue on one shoe. It was kind of baffling that a boot in this MSRP range could have that kind of quality control. I ended up ordering 3 or 4 pairs and keeping the pair that had the most easily overlooked issues.

Btw, do you mind posting a link to your Reddit thread on this?

Comment

Here is the link:
              https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...015/?limit=500

You will have to search the thread for "Mcclean", or "error", or my name is "Honesuki"

I posted a new thread originally in r/goodyearwelt, but was told to just post in the simple questions mega thread. I have decided on the pair posted here to keep.

How have your boots held up over the last year? Has the appearance or softness of the leather improved or gotten worse?

One nordstrom review claimed that these boots did not feel as soft as the leather in his original 1k's, and that he sent them back because of it. However I have also read other reviews that the leather in the mcclean's is thicker that the original's, so that could explain the increase in stiffness out of the box.

Do you have experience with the original 1k's or another boot in chromexcel at this price range? How do the leathers compare in your opinion?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMethod View Post
                How have your boots held up over the last year? Has the appearance or softness of the leather improved or gotten worse?

One nordstrom review claimed that these boots did not feel as soft as the leather in his original 1k's, and that he sent them back because of it. However I have also read other reviews that the leather in the mcclean's is thicker that the original's, so that could explain the increase in stiffness out of the box.

Do you have experience with the original 1k's or another boot in chromexcel at this price range? How do the leathers compare in your opinion?

Thanks
                Unfortunately I don't have experience with original 1ks to compare to. The Mccleans have held up just fine, but I haven't put them through much. The leather feels great to me. It's indeed thicker than other 1ks. I saw a photo comparison someone posted awhile back.

Comment

Working...
                X