Buying AE shoes on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying AE shoes on ebay

So, I've decided that I want to get a couple new pairs of shoes, and since I'm just starting out, I don't want to spend a ton of cash. It looks like my best option is some gently used AEs on ebay. I'm going to go to a brick and mortar store (do they sell them at Macys?) to get fitted first, but my real question is how to I spot a good deal? What am I looking for in a used pair of AEs? Seems like there is very little difference based on photos from a $60 pair to a $150 pair.

If it matters, I think I want a pair of brown wingtips and a black captoe (maybe with some brogue along the cap?)

Originally posted by joegeis View Post
    So, I've decided that I want to get a couple new pairs of shoes, and since I'm just starting out, I don't want to spend a ton of cash. It looks like my best option is some gently used AEs on ebay. I'm going to go to a brick and mortar store (do they sell them at Macys?) to get fitted first, but my real question is how to I spot a good deal? What am I looking for in a used pair of AEs? Seems like there is very little difference based on photos from a $60 pair to a $150 pair.

If it matters, I think I want a pair of brown wingtips and a black captoe (maybe with some brogue along the cap?)
    Look at the soles, creasing on the uppers, and discoloration. I don't pay more than $150 for AEs on eBay, since you can get new Factory 2nds for that price.

Comment

You may want to check out grailed, the classified sections of here and StyleForum, and the buy/sell/trade threads on reddit's /r/frugalmalefashion and /r/goodyearwelt. The guys on those sites are more likely to be straight forward with any issues and know what they are talking about than eBay sellers. At least that has been my experience.

I'd look for the same things bjm listed. One big thing to look for on the soles are Allen Edmonds' markings...

If there's a shoe shaped marking - it's a pair of seconds
      If there's a W marking - run for your life, those shoes were so bad they were fit for being sold as seconds
      If there's a hammer marking - they've been resoled at least once
      If there's a cylinder/hole marking - they were purchased and returned

Comment

awesome information. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy127 View Post
          You may want to check out grailed, the classified sections of here and StyleForum, and the buy/sell/trade threads on reddit's /r/frugalmalefashion and /r/goodyearwelt. The guys on those sites are more likely to be straight forward with any issues and know what they are talking about than eBay sellers. At least that has been my experience.

I'd look for the same things bjm listed. One big thing to look for on the soles are Allen Edmonds' markings...

If there's a shoe shaped marking - it's a pair of seconds
          If there's a W marking - run for your life, those shoes were so bad they were fit for being sold as seconds
          If there's a hammer marking - they've been resoled at least once
          If there's a cylinder/hole marking - they were purchased and returned
          Thanks for this! I was wondering what the hole marking was.

Comment

Working...
          X