Florsheim Veblen - $35 at MyHabit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
    So was it the right shoe gaping open? I'm really curious now.

For what it's worth, return shipping is free for defective products. I'd just return them as defective.

I've had to order multiple Florsheim longwings (from different sources) before winding up with two pairs I could keep, and I only think one of those pairs (my Havilands) should have passed QC at a respectable company. I really, truly, think the attention to detail is deplorable on these shoes. That said, I like the fit and the styling enough that I'm willing to overlook quite a bit if the price is right.

Interestingly, before I bought my first pair I did some research on various forums, and from the pictures posted when the shoes first came out, it looks like the quality used to be much better. Which is probably how the shoes built up their cult status. I can only assume that either (1) Florsheim greatly relaxed its standards over time, or (2) all of the shoes currently being sold at clearance prices are actually seconds that aren't labeled as such.
    It's both heels which made me think that maybe they are just not to the right fit for me.

Comment

How much did you size down? I normally wear a 7.5 or 8, had to go down to a 7 in my Havilands and they are still a bit loose. The 7.5 had tons of heel slip.
      Ben

Comment

I usually wear 8/8.5 and got the 8. Wearing socks that weren't super thin, the fit was pretty good.

Comment

So, mine arrived this afternoon. The overall quality is far, far better than I've seen on any Havilands or Veblens. Crooked stitching, loose threads, and glue stains are almost nonexistant (although there is a bit of glue in the broguing). And the rust color is far nicer than I had hoped--it's basically brown with a hint of red. These are hands down the best $35 shoes I've ever seen

But--and there's always a but--the insole on the right foot is wrong. As in it looks like they tried to fit a size 13 footbed in there, gluing it down at the toes and heels but not in the middle. The result is that it pushes up directly into my arch. It's not painful, but it's extremely annoying. I'll see if I can figure out a way to fix it. Otherwise, one more pair is going back.

Fail again, Florsheim.

Comment

I'm still unsure if I want to keep these. The rust color is the most unusual/cheap looking color I've ever seen. I don't know why any shoe company would choose to make a shoe in this color. But the quality is SOLID for $35. Hard to believe people used to pay >$150 for these when they first came out though.

Comment

If it's just the color that's bad, for $35, it's probably worth experimenting with different colored shoe creams or waxes.
              Ben

Comment

same here, the rust color looks like the shoes are made out of chocolate. there's almost no variation in the hue, just solid milk chocolate brown. I'm wondering if they'll look much better with some wear, but trying different creams could be fun too.

Comment

Got my pair of the Wine color in. The color is a good merlot /burgundy color and I like the lighter sole/heel edge. Leather seems fine; obviously not the best quality, but for the price I paid I am happy. The sole is thick and does not flex easily. I'm sure it will take some time to break the soles in. I plan to use these as a beater shoe. As aforementioned, there is no way I would pay $150 for these, but the price of $35 is great.

For what it's worth, I went pretty true to size on these. Granted I have a slightly wide foot, but I did not size down a .5 and the length is still great. I'll post up a picture when I wear them next week.

Comment

I have the Wine version as well. I paid $85 for them. The color is great and the shoe feels like it could knock down a door easily. The materials are not great but the construction is adequate (certainly better than most sub $150 shoes). Even at what I paid for, I feel they are a good deal. At $35 they are a steel. The rust color looked suspicious online and it seems from what others say, that it looks bad in person as well.

Comment

First wearing of the Veblen's today.

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
                        same here, the rust color looks like the shoes are made out of chocolate. there's almost no variation in the hue, just solid milk chocolate brown. I'm wondering if they'll look much better with some wear, but trying different creams could be fun too.
                        I decided to keep mine because, well, thirty-five dollars.

I think the rust color is pretty nice, but I certainly I see your point about the uniformity of the color. I decided to have a go with some brown Meltonian cream (120), which is significantly darker than the shoes' original color. I was going to post before and after pictures, but the difference was so slight that I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. They do look a bit better, however, and I imagine they will get better with time. For what it's worth, I got the best results from really focusing on the broguing. The darker cream built up on the serrated edges and on the stitching. It's a small effect, but it goes a long way toward breaking up the out-of-the-box monotony of the shoes.

Long story short, if you have the rust shoes, polish them with something darker.

Comment

Working...
                        X