40% OFF Alden Shoes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40% OFF Alden Shoes!

This is from Fred's post in his deals thread, but I thought that this deal is getting so good that it needs it's own thread.

O'Connells is clearing their Alden inventory, so they're compounding an additional 10% off each Saturday morning. I'm not sure if it stops at 40% or it keeps going. I've been watching it for two weeks now, and I had to pull the trigger at 40%. I might look for a more casual pair at 50% if it goes to that. You also obviously have to worry about the good stuff getting taken vs. waiting around and perhaps missing it. Also, no returns (though you should be able to sell if they don't fit, perhaps even at a profit)

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php?cat=339

Fred G. Unn also recommends paying attention to sizing:

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    . . . Like zxu426 said, make sure you know your size in that last as Alden lasts/sizing are all over the place.

For me personally, US 9.5 Barrie is fantastic, but US 10 Aberdeen is painfully small. Do not assume your normal size works unless you are familiar with that last.
    My wallet took a hit on this sale. But it was too good to pass up, as I've been wanting to move up to Alden for awhile now.

This is a very good deal. Aldens rarely goes on sale, and I don't ever remember seeing 40% off, other than on Ebay.

I was very close to buying the 935 Plaza today, but decided against it. It is just too similar to the 901 Hampton that I already have (and very satisfied with it!) and I couldn't justify the need for both.

Comment

It's a great deal if you know your size and your size is available.

Comment

Is there a similar last guide for Allen Edmond?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolz25 View Post
          Is there a similar last guide for Allen Edmond?
          http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

Comment

Thanks. I e seen this one before, but I meant the size up-down part on that chart. I've been measured for park avenues (the 5 last I believe) but I ordered a boot and penny loafer during the 2 for $250 sale. I used the same size as for the PAs but after seeing this chart I was worried I might should have sized up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolz25 View Post
              I meant the size up-down part on that chart.
              I think most people order TTS on all AE lasts. The two that seem to be most problematic IMO are the 5 last and the 333. A lot of people need to order up a width in the 5 and occasionally down a half in length. I think the 333 is even longer. I was really close to going down a half in that but when I tried them on they were a bit snug so I bought TTS in that too. YMMV. Obviously when I refer to TTS that's referring to your dress shoe size, not sneaker size. Most people order AEs down a full size from your Nike/Adidas/NB size, but again YMMV.

For me:
              Nike/Adidas/NB 11D (or EE in NB)
              AE laced shoes 10E
              AE loafers 10D
              Alden Barrie 9.5D
              C&J and Alfred Sargent UK9

Comment

40% OFF Alden Shoes!

It's funny, I wear a 9.5 in chucks and my reebok workout shoes. I wear a 9.5D in all of my Allen Edmonds (I have a pair in 10D and it's fine but not perfect). I wear a 9D in Alden's Barrie last and, if anything, that's slightly large.

I managed not to buy anything from this sale, but not before putting a pair of PTB's in my cart, staring at it for a while, looking at some photos of PTB's from Styleforum's Alden thread, talking myself into buying, getting up from my desk and taking a walk around the office, then talking myself out of buying, then going through the process again only to finally settle in not picking them up.

I'm saving my shoe budget for some shell LWBs whenever I can get my hands on them, so it was the right call.

Comment

I also perused the sale and was tempted by a few items - but I'm holding out for some specific shoe styles right now and don't want to spend a bunch of money just because these are on an amazing discount...

Comment

If the sale hits 50%, I'll be impressed if you guys don't pull the trigger! (Perhaps replace "impressed" with "disappointed.")

Comment

Yeah, shoe sizing is strange. I haven't tried Alden which is why I am not taking a chance and then they don't fit. My Nike shoes are 1.5 to 2 sizes larger than my dress shoes. All of my UK based shoes are 1 size smaller than my AE.

Comment

Looks like they are not going down to 50% today. Still says 40% off.

Comment

The homepage for the shoe sale says that it ended March 28th, so anyone wanting the sale might consider ordering before they take it down.

Comment

Working...
                          X