Dollar Shave Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollar Shave Club

I'd be willing to try just because their intro video is so awesome. Anyone take any of these razors for a test drive yet?

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com
    Last edited by JoeG; January 11, 2014, 11:42 PM.

I think he said it best in the video "stop paying for shave tech you don't need". I gave up the multi-bladed shavers a while back, and couldn't be happier. Using a double edge safety razor I get a much closer shave, much less irritation, and a $7 pack of blades, will last me several months.

Comment

I spent $15 (shipping included) on a 12 pack variety pack of DE safety razor blades which will last me about a year. Switch to a DE safety razor like Traveling said. Not only cheaper, but so much better.

Comment

I don't shave. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCoach View Post
          I spent $15 (shipping included) on a 12 pack variety pack of DE safety razor blades which will last me about a year. Switch to a DE safety razor like Traveling said. Not only cheaper, but so much better.
          Where do you find safety razor blades for that price? I got a Merkur for Christmas but haven't stocked up on blades yet. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
            I'd be willing to try just because their intro video is so awesome. Anyone take any of these razors for a test drive yet?

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com
            I've been using DSC for a while now, almost a year. I don't have a ton of facial hair, so I shave just twice a week. Under that use, they've (the three blade models) held up well. Their Shave Butter is fantastic. My only complaint is that the handles aren't the most durable things in the world.

Comment

Dollar Shave Club is just re-branded stuff from Dorco. Dorco's even cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sartorialist View Post
                Where do you find safety razor blades for that price? I got a Merkur for Christmas but haven't stocked up on blades yet. Thanks.
                I purchased it on eBay and caught a good price from the seller. But here's a really good one too. I maintain a beard so when I shave i'm only shaving my neck/maintaining the neckline so my blades are lasting longer due to not shaving as much. But even this is a good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/105-Double-E...item51a7fe652c

And if you're new to DE shaving they'll give you a taste for which blades you may or may not like for your skin.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Safety-...blades+sampler
                  Amazon has these too.

Comment

I'm in the same camp with travelling and da coach, I use de safety razors too. Got a merkur handle a couple of years ago and it has served me well. I get blades from feather off of amazon.

Comment

I'm a clone of bjmcgeever: only shave about 2x/week, and have ordered the 3-blade razors from DSC for almost a year. I've been quite happy, because (1) the cartridge packs cost about half what I was paying at paces like CVS/Walgreens/Target and (2) DSC is always prompt with delivery, so there's some added convenience. I'm no expert, but the quality has certainly been good enough for me.

I'd definitely recommend them if you're shelling out dough for the way marked-up stuff. I've never gone the safety-razor route, though, so for all I know that's best and I'm a chump.

Comment

I am a safety razor convert, too, and I highly recommend it. However, there is a real learning curve. Proper technique is important; you can't just scrub away like you can with cartridges. You'll rip your face off.

That said, the learning process is fun in itself, and once you get it, it's great. If you decide to try it, peruse some Youtube videos and check out the Badger and Blade forum for guidance.

Comment

For all you straight razor guys, would you suggest starting out with a less aggressive razor to learn on first? I am no stranger to shaving and cuts, but have no idea what I'm in for with a safety razor. So I guess I'm asking for recommendations for the best safety razor for someone that has never used one before.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                            For all you straight razor guys, would you suggest starting out with a less aggressive razor to learn on first? I am no stranger to shaving and cuts, but have no idea what I'm in for with a safety razor. So I guess I'm asking for recommendations for the best safety razor for someone that has never used one before.
                            When you say straight razor, are you referring to the old school barber "Sweeney Todd"-type razors? Or the double edge safety razors? There is a major difference.

Comment

Totally an error. Double edge safety razor is what I am looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X