form function form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

form function form

We've been pretty darn overwhelmed (in the best way possible) with the support from Dappered readers.

So...hi, everyone, and thanks a lot!!

If y'all have a question, of course you're free to email (or call, if that's your cup of tea), but you can post here too if you think everyone might benefit from the answer. As always, if you have a problem with an order, you should email us directly and we'll go stupid-crazy-nuts to make sure you're happy.

www.formfunctionform.com

Been wearing my FFF slip through strap for a few weeks now and I love it. I can't recommend Shawn's work enough, plus the customer service and personal attention were outstanding. Shawn, you've got a customer for life.

Best,

-S&C
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Glad to see some representation. I've been coveting one of the button stud watch straps for a while. Just haven't been able to bring myself to spend half the price of what I paid for my watch on a strap. Your stuff looks great though. Some day I'm sure I'll finally up and buy it!

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
        Glad to see some representation. I've been coveting one of the button stud watch straps for a while. Just haven't been able to bring myself to spend half the price of what I paid for my watch on a strap. Your stuff looks great though. Some day I'm sure I'll finally up and buy it!
        As an owner of 3 button studs, they are totally worth it...

Comment

thanks a lot for the positive words, gents...really kind of you all. drocpsu; let me know if you have any questions--I understand that it's not cheap, but you'll be happy with the band (or you won't pay for it). I'm probably a bit biased, but it's vastly superior in terms of comfort and longevity (and badassedness?) compared to a regular style band.

Comment

I can't speak to the straps - I'm nervous enough about sizing that I'm sure I'd screw it up (I used to keep switching in and out links and moving micro-adjustment holes on bracelet watches until I could get a perfect fit). That said, I've had an fff wallet for a few months (someday, when I have time, I'll do a review comparing it to a saddleback wallet and a bargain leatherworker who I believe this forum would enjoy), but the short version is that, at least from my limited sampling, Shawn's materials and work are first rate (where saddleback appears to do fine work, but their leather isn't as nice as chromexcel, and the other leatherworker uses similar materials, but is clearly still learning his craft / isn't yet the designer shawn is). I can also vouch for Shawn's "customer" service - he had a quick and helpful exchange with me on an engineering issue, despite the fact that I purchased his product secondhand.

Just a shoutout to a stand-out merchant.

Comment

Hey shawn, thanks for engaging with this forum, and for making some awesome products. I'm wondering how best to take care of my watchband. I've worn it a few too many times when I've been working in the yard and gotten it pretty dirty and stinky with sweat. What's the best way to keep the leather in tip-top shape (and smell free)?

Comment

Originally posted by P J View Post
                Hey shawn, thanks for engaging with this forum, and for making some awesome products. I'm wondering how best to take care of my watchband. I've worn it a few too many times when I've been working in the yard and gotten it pretty dirty and stinky with sweat. What's the best way to keep the leather in tip-top shape (and smell free)?
                Some sort of a leather balm should be ok (or at least it's worked for me). I had some extra Chelsea Leather Food lying around (I used to use it on my soccer boots), and have wiped the bands down on occasion with that. It made my Nat CXL band a shade darker, but it "stretched" back closer to the original color after a couple of wears.

Comment

I used Allen Edmonds Cleaner / Conditioner on some chromexcel products (not the fff wallet yet), and it darkened the leather a little bit, and seemed to restore it some. Can't speak for sweat, though - my intuition is that saddle soap would work, but I'm a novice to leather care, and I'd be very curious to see what someone more experienced would advise.

Comment

depending on what leather it is....I use the following for chromexcel. Haven't tried it on a veg tan or a russet (it would definitely darken them, I'd guess): Venetian Shoe Cream in natural. I have a big can from here (http://www.foresupplyco.com/productD...ian_Shoe_Cream), and it lasts forever--I use it on all of my cxl-or-similar-leather-type shoes (of which I have FAR too many).

Cordovan is a whole other beast, and depending on who you listen to, needs more or less care, and particular types of care.

Comment

I was looking at the options of colors/leathers for the bands, and was wondering what the Latigo leather is. How does it differ from the others?

Comment

latigo is cattle leather (as opposed to horse, bison, whatever myriad other options are out there), tanned in a certain way such that it exhibits very little stretch. It has a smooth, somewhat firm finish, exhibits no pull-up (where the leather changes color as it is stretched), and is not "self-healing" in the way that chromexcel tends to be (while chromexcel scratches/scuffs/marks more easily than latigo or a standard veg-tan, the marks can usually be buffed out easily with a little friction due to the waxes and oils in the leather). It's traditionally used for things you don't want stretching, like belts, straps for saddles, etc.

We use it because some of the colors look cool, and for some products they work great--I tend to like the feel of chromexcel more, but that is purely subjective, as I'm sure others would have different preferences.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. So many choices!

Comment

Hey Shawn -
                            Looks like it's been awhile since this forum has been used, so hopefully people are still around!

Do you think you could post a general description of the different leather options? For instance I gather from the above that chromexcel sounds more supple than latigo (correct me if I'm wrong!). Just some direction as to which are softer / stiffer / self healing, or any other description that might differentiate between the different leather options would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprnova23 View Post
                              Hey Shawn -
                              Looks like it's been awhile since this forum has been used, so hopefully people are still around!

Do you think you could post a general description of the different leather options? For instance I gather from the above that chromexcel sounds more supple than latigo (correct me if I'm wrong!). Just some direction as to which are softer / stiffer / self healing, or any other description that might differentiate between the different leather options would be helpful.

Thanks!
                              hey man; I'll get to this...just wanted to let you know I didn't miss it. Stuff has been nutso the past couple weeks...I'm going to decompress a bit over the next couple days, but should have some time post-christmas to work on this. It's actually something I've been meaning to get on the site anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X