(LC)2 Pocket Squares by JoeG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(LC)2 Pocket Squares by JoeG

I thought it would be nice to start an official thread to share some behind the scenes snapshots with the Dappered community as I develop my pocket square project.

I let my enthusiasm get the best of me, and started working on patterns and designs for bow ties, neck ties, and cuff links. Luckily my girlfriend recognized when it was time to step in and bring me back to steady ground.

So far I have established my sewing technique, and developed a logo design. By days end I should have a sample logo/care label to share with everyone.

Here is an early rendering of my logo. It is a math statement for the initials of my girlfriend and my dog.

These are the label samples I received last week. This is the smallest they could make them at 2cm squared with all the info. I have since decided to greatly reduce the size by eliminating everything minus the logo.

Just for fun, here is a sample of the squares I am currently working on.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
      Just for fun, here is a sample of the squares I am currently working on.
      This looks like a great pattern for a pocket square. Simple, but visually interesting, versatile, looks like a total winner to me.

Comment

I'm excited, I look forward to supporting your project with a purchase in the future!

Comment

Looks great! From someone who has tried sewing his own ps with rolled edges, I happily await buying them from you.

Comment

Any plans for silk or silk-wool blends? Also, just so you know your competition I assume you've perused this 3200 post thread:
            http://www.styleforum.net/t/228536/p...gestions/0_100

My personal faves are Drake's (by far), Seaward & Stearn, and Vanda but I'm always looking for new squares!

Comment

Thanks guys for the kind words!! There will definitely be some perks and deals to be had for my Dapper brethren.

@Fred: I have been focusing on cotton squares, with plans to expand to other fibers in time. If I find a great deal on silk though I will do my best to acquire it. I am familiar with Drakes by name, and will have to look into Seaward & Stearn. I have actually had some small conversations with Vanda through email. They have been very nice and forthcoming with general info about the construction of their squares.

Comment

Hmm LC2 is the engine in my car
                5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Ok. I know that I haven't been very active posting and being involved here for a while. Between my day job and trying to get this little venture started I don't get much free time. I do try to read and keep caught up with a few threads, even if I'm not posting much.
                  I'm trying to walk a delicate balance between not making post that can be considered advertisement, seemingly using this thread as my personal blog, and staying in touch with the guys and blog that originally helped lead me down this path. So please, if I ever overstep any Threads boundaries, don't hesitate to kick me in the shin.

To my point. Damn, who knew all of the little details that go into starting a little business like this?! From finding sources for material, to product packaging, creating a website, etc. I have a constant headache, but I'm enjoying every bit of it. I need help in making the final decision on my packaging. I have since expanded what will be my first collection to include scarves, and bow ties, and pocket squares.

*this is primarily for online orders, should I get into a local store in the future I will probably find another way that will work better in a display.
                  A. Clear sleeve w/recycled card stock: Thin, light, simplified, can fit more items in smaller postage package. So low cost, and light I will probably be able to offer free shipping. Any clothing I've ever ordered online simply came in a plastic sleeve/bag. I'm worried it doesn't instantly read well made/quality craftsmanship.
                  B. Kraft box with clear lid. Sturdy, presentable, can transition well from shipping to gift giving to storage of item. Costly: box, filler, sticker, heavier to send, etc. May have to charge $2-$3 for U.S. shipping. The little logo strip across the corner would be an actual sticker, and the filler will be a darker brown kraft color.

Any advice, comments, and reviews will be greatly appreciated.
                  Last edited by JoeG; December 6, 2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I'd say it depends a bit on your price point. If it is a premium product, I'd expect premium packaging, meaning a box with a lid, not plastic. Pretty much all of the other small startups I've shopped at for ties and pocket squares ship in a box, and larger outfits like Mr Porter and RL do too.

Just a few boxes I'd saved, but you get the idea.

Comment

I will actually have premium products that will be made from fabrics that I purchased from a fabric vender that resales leftovers from big name brands: Gucci, J. Crew, DKNY, Hugo Boss, etc. and low cost up-cycled fabrics for those guys that want to look nice but are on a tight budget.
                      My initial idea was for a solid low profile box, but I let my girlfriend talk me into the clear top ones. I don't have the resources most other startups do. The whole idea behind the simplified sleeve was to not only save on my cost, but also provide a lower cost for the customer.
                      @Fred I totally agree with you on the quality product in quality packaging. Any opinion on clear versus solid lid?

I'm actually hoping to establish myself somewhere around the same level as General Knot Co. and Forage. They both use solid brown boxes with natural filling. My motto is pretty much exactly as theirs is: Limited quantity, high quality handcrafted products at a competitive price. In addition to using as much product as I can in production that is either or both eco-friendly and American made.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                        Any opinion on clear versus solid lid?
                        Personally, I'd definitely prefer solid. Plastic just reminds me of those awful matching tie and pocket square sets you see at TJ Maxx or something. In addition to the product obviously, the packaging and customer experience I think also play a big role with the best online retailers. For a first time buyer who hasn't even had a chance to see or feel one of your ties yet, the packaging will be their first physical impression of your company. A nice well designed, decently solid quality box would probably go a long way into creating the impression that a quality product is inside. For businesses that have B&M stores or are more of a known entity, I would think it's less important. I'd vote for going with a nice box, even if you have to bump the price of the product a buck or two to incorporate the cost.

Comment

@Fred, I am greatly appreciating the feedback.

Would it be taking it a step too far to use colored filler to match my logo, or should I stay with the neutral brown?

Comment

Most places I've bought from just use a sheet or two of tissue paper, loosely wrapped around the tie or squares and then often sealed with a sticker that has the company logo on it. That would certainly be an option if you don't want to deal with the filler. The problem with colored filler/paper is that you may have a tie or square that clashes horribly with it, thus not presenting your product in the best way when someone opens the box.

Comment

Count me as another vote against the colored filler. It reads as cheap to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X