Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys-
    Only have shopped at Suit Supply and have been wanting to give Spier & Mackay a try but very hesitant about sizing.
    I recently bought a Napoli in a dark grey, 38s that fit me really well with minimal alterations.
    I am 5 ft 8inch with somewhat athletic build at 165 lbs.

Can anyone advise on what fit, contemporary or slim fit is similar to SuSu Napoli?
    Would you recommend ordering the same size?

Comment

5' 7 150 broad shoulders. I get 38s in contemporary.. And gotta let out between shoulders a touch. I wear 38s in Thompson too if that helps

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
        It is darker than the royal blue suit. That's why I was careful to use the word almost...haha. But it is in the same family for sure. It is fair to say that it is more in line with our previous marine navy, that's a good comparison.
        Thanks for that answer, Rick, gives me a better idea of actual color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Matt Dalton

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
          5' 7 150 broad shoulders. I get 38s in contemporary.. And gotta let out between shoulders a touch. I wear 38s in Thompson too if that helps

how does one take in or let out shoulders? my tailor told me that shoulders cant be altered

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
            how does one take in or let out shoulders? my tailor told me that shoulders cant be altered
            Between my shoulder blades. No clue.

Comment

Between my shoulder blades. No clue.

sounds like he just took in or took out the upper back

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                sounds like he just took in or took out the upper back
                Exactly. I didn't know this was uncommon

Comment

Exactly. I didn't know this was uncommon

It isn't really. I think it was just your original wording made others think you meant the actual shoulder.

Comment

It isn't really. I think it was just your original wording made others think you meant the actual shoulder.
                    Ah ok. Yes. I meant the upper back between the shoulders

Comment

Rick,

Tried reaching out to you guys number of times in regard to an ordering still missing a shirt. Love the quality of your items but this mtm order process has been frustrating as it's been about 4 months and I still missing a shirt. My order number is 21132.

Thank you for producing wonderful products.

Comment

[MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] How do you take the measurements for your dress trousers? Is the thigh measured directly at the crotch or an inch below? Also, do the measurements listed for the front rise include the waist band?

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] How do you take the measurements for your dress trousers? Is the thigh measured directly at the crotch or an inch below? Also, do the measurements listed for the front rise include the waist band?
                          We measure at the crotch. Front rise includes waistband.

Hope this helps.

Guys, I'm going to be traveling for the next week to start on FW developments, so my presence here will be a bit spotty. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by vandy1991 View Post
                            Rick,

Tried reaching out to you guys number of times in regard to an ordering still missing a shirt. Love the quality of your items but this mtm order process has been frustrating as it's been about 4 months and I still missing a shirt. My order number is 21132.

Thank you for producing wonderful products.

Not cool. I'll have someone reach out to you on Monday and get this cleared ASAP. Since we brought in a new online cs rep recently we don't usually have any missed responses. I'm just about to get on a plane in 20 mins but I'll get this sorted as soon as I can.

Comment

Color me confused! So, what exactly does Joe mean when he says its complicated/not worth it to have shoulders altered? If its not to move shoulders in or out, whatever could it be for? Is this a different operation? I ask because I have narrower shoulders for my body type. There was barely (really not enough) material to let out a 42 suit to fit my waist (partially my fault because I'm overweight, but was still an issue when I weighed less) while fitting my shoulders. 44's are very close but moving the shoulders in 1/2" or so would be ideal. I've never had a tailor suggest it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmreg View Post
                                Color me confused! So, what exactly does Joe mean when he says its complicated/not worth it to have shoulders altered? If its not to move shoulders in or out, whatever could it be for? Is this a different operation? I ask because I have narrower shoulders for my body type. There was barely (really not enough) material to let out a 42 suit to fit my waist (partially my fault because I'm overweight, but was still an issue when I weighed less) while fitting my shoulders. 44's are very close but moving the shoulders in 1/2" or so would be ideal. I've never had a tailor suggest it though.
                                As pointed out earlier there was just a wording mixup when referencing the upper back which if it is too tight can result in some tightness in the shoulders as well as the back(duh). In regards to your question Joe would be referring to the actual shoulder. Often times it will run you upwards of $100 to restructure the shoulder (this is necessary when you are moving its position in the jacket) and alot of tailors don't like doing it, for said reasons. This AoS article has some good info on just about any and all alterations possible.

From an affordability stand point it's easier to go with a different brand whose shoulders do work for you than to get carried away tailoring a suit with shoulders that don't work for you. If you do have difficulty finding ones that work for you I would recommend going the MTM route instead which although a little pricier will not run you much more when you consider the amount you would be spending on alterations for something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X