Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
    Nice Irish Linen Trousers! One problem...my waist around where I wear my pants is 29.5. The smallest waist size you have is a 30 which fits waists 30.5 inches. I am out of luck, aren't I?
    Take ‘em to a tailor. I have to do that to my trousers because for anything to fit my legs, they’re always super loose in the waist

Comment

Nice Irish Linen Trousers! One problem...my waist around where I wear my pants is 29.5. The smallest waist size you have is a 30 which fits waists 30.5 inches. I am out of luck, aren't I?
      The trousers aren't hemmed, so you'll need to have them tailored already. Just have the waist taken in a bit while you're there.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

[MENTION=13099]Rollo[/MENTION] as others have said, you will have to take them to the tailor anyways and bringing in the waist a touch is very easy for a tailor to do.

On another note I'm planning on picking up 2 pairs, one in a darker shade and one of the lighter pairs. Pretty sure I'm going to get the blue/green ones but I honestly can't decide between the Sand, Wheat or Natural. Of those three which one do you guys like the most? Currently frozen with indecision and am paranoid my size will sell out before I can decide.

Comment

The problem with taking them in at the waist is that they are linen. Even if they fit well OTR, they would stretch to the point that I would need to take them in. If they start out oversized, I have no hope of getting them to fit long term. They won't last the summer.

Comment

I have numerous linen trousers in my rotation. None have ever stretched to the point they needed additional tailoring. In fact they haven't stretched at all.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
              I have numerous linen trousers in my rotation. None have ever stretched to the point they needed additional tailoring. In fact they haven't stretched at all.
              Are they any type of special high quality linen? I had line from 4 different companies, Bonobos, INC, Perry Ellis, and Gap. All stretched very easily.

Comment

Are they any type of special high quality linen? I had line from 4 different companies, Bonobos, INC, Perry Ellis, and Gap. All stretched very easily.
                JCF and Suitsupply. I can't imagine they're *THAT* special. Not to knock those companies of course, but a 30-dollar pair of trousers and a suit that was $250ish in the outlet probably don't come close to even the S&M offering if we're honest.

And since I routinely hit the squat rack, my upper legs aren't....gentle....on everything that covers them. But they're doing quite well.

Maybe it's a "body type and how you move in them" kind of thing?

Comment

That's pretty bizarre. I've never had a pair of 100% linen anything stretch at all, ever.

Comment

Does anyone know how the new specific sleeve lengths work as far as sizes go? 16 slim was a perfect fit for me. Not sure if I should shoot for a 34 or 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
                      Does anyone know how the new specific sleeve lengths work as far as sizes go? 16 slim was a perfect fit for me. Not sure if I should shoot for a 34 or 35.
                      16/35

Comment

I personally have 3 pairs from last spring/summer that I wore to death. I open the waist 1/2" on mine. Never had to adjust them after. Should be ok.

Comment

I've never experienced stretching with any of my linen garments....
                          Ben

Comment

How much can the waist be taken in before you get distortion?

How easy are returns to Canada from the US?

These pants are just what I was looking for, in just the right colors, but I am nervous about ordering as it seems so many things could go wrong?

BTW, Spier and Mackay, we short and/or skinny guys are a large portion of the population. We are usually ignored, so you are not the only ones, but I can't believe there isn't a market for 29 or 28 waist sizes. Peter Manning, and a few others routinely stock pants with waist sizes even below 28 and seem not to have suffered.

Comment

[MENTION=13099]Rollo[/MENTION] I think it's 1.5" maybe a touch more before the proportions start getting thrown off i.e. back pockets too close together. Returns aren't so bad, unfortunately they aren't free and shipping from the US back to Canada can get a little pricey. I highly recommend you use paypal to pay for your order as they will cover the shipping costs for a handful of returns a year. The actual process is pretty easy though. Just email their CS dept with your order number, mention any returns or possible exchanges (exchanges are tough as inventory can go quick) and they will give you a RA# that you will need to put on the box. I use a big sharpie and right it on the sides and top of the box.

I'm sure [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] can answer that better but from what I know it's because they are a relatively small company. Everything from size and cut is priced out and planned based on their sell through as well as factory minimums etc. Since pants come un-hemmed, it's not unreasonable to expect a person with a 28-29 inch waist to buy a 30 and take it in a little as hemming is already required.

Also, for those interested I went with the blue/green and wheat. Pretty excited.

Comment

Guys, for those that are interested, we've added some overstock suits to the sale section. Really great price. $249.99 USD.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/all-sale/suits.html

Comment

Working...
                                X