Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]

2 quick questions:

1: What is your coolest wearing sportcoat? Fresco, wool hopsack, or wool/linen? I live in Houston and the heat can be unbearable.

2: I am 5’8”, a 40s contemporary fit in your sportcoat and 16” 33 in your dress shirts. What size polo would you recommend? I was going to order medium, but I don’t want them skin tight. Would you suggest a large?

Thanks!!

Comment

[MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] Just wanted to give an update and thanks in regards to the shrinkage/washing recommendations you gave. Washed them cold and didi short warm dry cycle. They shrunk in length by about 1.25” and are now perfect! Thanks!

Really digging the cutaway collars too. I’ve seen mention of long sleeve versions for the fall. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
        [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]

2 quick questions:

1: What is your coolest wearing sportcoat? Fresco, wool hopsack, or wool/linen? I live in Houston and the heat can be unbearable.

2: I am 5’8”, a 40s contemporary fit in your sportcoat and 16” 33 in your dress shirts. What size polo would you recommend? I was going to order medium, but I don’t want them skin tight. Would you suggest a large?

Thanks!!
        Coolest wearing would be fresco. It's the most open weave and air can blow right through it and any perspiration doesn't get trapped.

For the polo, I would suggest a large if you are use to a more roomy fit. Then you can shrink it down with a wash/dry cycle to get a good fit. We actually designed them to shrink to size as we know most folks just chuck them in warm water and a dryer like they would a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
          [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] Just wanted to give an update and thanks in regards to the shrinkage/washing recommendations you gave. Washed them cold and didi short warm dry cycle. They shrunk in length by about 1.25” and are now perfect! Thanks!

Really digging the cutaway collars too. I’ve seen mention of long sleeve versions for the fall. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for those.
          Excellent. We designed them with the intent that people would just wash/dry in warm and a dryer. So post wash they will be the correct, intended size.

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
            I'm 5'7" 170 (yes chubby) and wear a medium.
            FWIW, I'm 5'7" 155, with a fairly prominent chest/upper back for my frame (in most OTR brand sportcoats, I'm a 38 in the chest, but shoulder width is more usually right in a 36), and the small is fitted in the chest, but not as fitted as a similarly styled Jomer's polo from last season (which I seem to have lifted myself out of over the winter) and skims the rest of my torso nicely, without being sausage tight. I have a small (and shrinking!) "spare tire" around my waist, particularly on the sides, and I didn't feel like that bit of bulge was conspicuous while wearing the shirt.

It also seemed to loosen up a bit during the course of the day, but not in a way I would call stretched out. The material just seems to have a touch of "give" with wear.
            Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
            Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
            --Jason Isbell

Comment

Coolest wearing would be fresco. It's the most open weave and air can blow right through it and any perspiration doesn't get trapped.

For the polo, I would suggest a large if you are use to a more roomy fit. Then you can shrink it down with a wash/dry cycle to get a good fit. We actually designed them to shrink to size as we know most folks just chuck them in warm water and a dryer like they would a t-shirt.
              Thanks for the response! After comparing measurements to a few current shirts that I own, I took a flier on the medium. I like them a little more fitted and have dropped 15 pounds. I also do not dry my polos, so feel that they will work out perfectly. I bought a pair of fresco trousers but will have to wait on the sportcoat. You are sold out of 40s in the slim fit(again, I have dropped some weight). I hope there is a restock....

Comment

[MENTION=13969]BillN[/MENTION] Do you have the button down collar polo from both Spier & Mackay and Jomers? If so, is there much difference between the collars? I ordered the Jomers polo because I thought it would fit better but I found the collar design to be pretty poor. The collar is very large and its the same width all the way around which causes it to lay awkwardly. I don't understand why they did this. Its not like anyone is wearing a tie with it that needs to be concealed around the neck. I'm hoping the Spier & Mackay polo is designed better but it's hard to tell from the pictures on their site.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  [MENTION=13969]BillN[/MENTION] Do you have the button down collar polo from both Spier & Mackay and Jomers? If so, is there much difference between the collars? I ordered the Jomers polo because I thought it would fit better but I found the collar design to be pretty poor. The collar is very large and its the same width all the way around which causes it to lay awkwardly. I don't understand why they did this. Its not like anyone is wearing a tie with it that needs to be concealed around the neck. I'm hoping the Spier & Mackay polo is designed better but it's hard to tell from the pictures on their site.
                  I do, or did. The jomers shirt went in the donate pile, because I lifted out of it. The S&M collar is closer to a classic OCBD collar in size & shape than the Jomers. I think S&M is actually larger but the design is better. If you want a more traditional polo collar, it’s not the answer; it sits more like an OCBD, which is a feature, not a bug for me.

I’m also wearing the same size in S&M as I was in Jomers, but the S&M is more true to size.
                  Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                  Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                  --Jason Isbell

Comment

[MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] will there be a re-stock in staple suits (navy, charcoal sharkskin) anytime soon?

Comment

[MENTION=13969]BillN[/MENTION] Sounds like what I'm looking for but I think I'm between sizes with the S&M polos. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

The Navy Angelico Hopsack on the site right now is a Jacket only fabric. The weave is not tight enough for a trouser.

We have another Hopsack that is in a tighter weave coming end of April. This will be available in separates as Jacket and Trouser.
                        Just wanted to double check, the cotton suit that was just released wasn't the tighter weave end of April set mentioned here was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dun View Post
                          Just wanted to double check, the cotton suit that was just released wasn't the tighter weave end of April set mentioned here was it?
                          No, that one is a wool hopsack. That is delayed until June.

Comment

No, that one is a wool hopsack. That is delayed until June.
                            Thanks for the heads up! June might be too close for my deadline, maybe I'll give this cotton a try.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] I ordered the green cotton sportcoat & matching trousers and got a notification that they were delivered today. I'll let you know my impressions once I get a chance to try them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                                [MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] I ordered the green cotton sportcoat & matching trousers and got a notification that they were delivered today. I'll let you know my impressions once I get a chance to try them on.
                                Gents,

Tomorrow is our 8 year anniversary since we launched SPIER & MACKAY.

We decided to have a flash sale over the weekend for 10% off site wide!

Use Code: BIRTHDAY

This stacks with bundles for dress shirts, polos, etc.

Ends Sunday Night.

Cheers!
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X