Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Useknifeonly View Post
    Any word on when these would be available for purchase? I literally have been on the search for the perfect guncheck blazer for like 3 years now and was trying to convince my wife to let me get one by Sid Mashburn or Drakes, but this looks just perfect.

Would looooooove to have this for our trip to France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Should be this week. I have seen an advanced review for one one these already so they should be able to ship soon. See blog here: http://menswearmusings.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
      Should be this week. I have seen an advanced review for one one these already so they should be able to ship soon. See blog here: http://menswearmusings.tumblr.com/
      You are amazing thanks so much for the info and link.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalieman24 View Post
        Have a couple pairs of pants and a few ties from S&M, but I gotta say my first shirt has left me quite unimpressed.

Had a store credit and didn't really need anything so I figured I'd just put another white dress shirt in my closet.

Threw it in the wash, gentle cycle, and then a quick ~5min low heat dry as I do with all dress shirts to try and minimize wrinkles before ironing... resulted in some shrinkage. Not a lot, but noticeable. While ironing, found it to be the most stubborn shirt I own. No matter how hard I tried to be gentle with it, any area that was already ironed became quickly wrinkled again as soon as I moved to a new area. Upon wearing it, wrinkles everywhere. I would never feel comfortable wearing this shirt without keeping a jacket on the whole time.

The whole thing just feels cheap, thin, and crunchy. I've tried washing it a few times now with hopes that it will break in and soften up, but so far it doesn't seem to be changing much.
        What shirts and brands do you normally wear? It sounds like you might wear non-iron shirts or thicker oxford cloth shirts. Untreated (have-to-iron) cotton dress shirts wrinkle more easily, but you should be able to iron them fast, since they don't need much time under the iron. I don't use the dryer at all. I just hang the shirt up straight out of the washing machine. You might consider using a starch spray for the wrinkles when you iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Useknifeonly View Post
          You are amazing thanks so much for the info and link.

The sport coats are up. The sorting order is odd so the gun check was on page 2 for me next to the houndstooth while the donegal was the middle of page 1 near the slub jackets. Odd sorting mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            The sport coats are up. The sorting order is odd so the gun check was on page 2 for me next to the houndstooth while the donegal was the middle of page 1 near the slub jackets. Odd sorting mechanism.
            I saw that this morning, I ordered the tan guncheck. You're right about the sorting I don't know why I couldn't find it on the new arrivals page.

Again thanks for the heads up on this I really appreciate it. Though I will admit my wife basically said this is my bday and Christmas gift---- worth it.

Comment

Urgh... none in my size, naturally. So much for S&M being my go-to for suits and sport coats.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Urgh... none in my size, naturally. So much for S&M being my go-to for suits and sport coats.
                Same boat as me. They did not produce any 38S contemporary in the recent fall crop of sportcoats. I was not pleased.
                Though it seems quite a few people have been hassling Rick, so I'm hopeful they come back for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalieman24 View Post
                  Have a couple pairs of pants and a few ties from S&M, but I gotta say my first shirt has left me quite unimpressed.

Had a store credit and didn't really need anything so I figured I'd just put another white dress shirt in my closet.

Threw it in the wash, gentle cycle, and then a quick ~5min low heat dry as I do with all dress shirts to try and minimize wrinkles before ironing... resulted in some shrinkage. Not a lot, but noticeable. While ironing, found it to be the most stubborn shirt I own. No matter how hard I tried to be gentle with it, any area that was already ironed became quickly wrinkled again as soon as I moved to a new area. Upon wearing it, wrinkles everywhere. I would never feel comfortable wearing this shirt without keeping a jacket on the whole time.

The whole thing just feels cheap, thin, and crunchy. I've tried washing it a few times now with hopes that it will break in and soften up, but so far it doesn't seem to be changing much.
                  Sounds like you live in Alberta and hardwater issues, if I let my shirts air dry (any brand) they get stiff feeling from water, toss some vinegar in to wash maybe.

Also order the premium fabrics, the Tessitura and Thomas Mason will feel much nicer.

Agree on shrinkage, it does happen and why I generally can't wear S&M shirts & suits as they are a business trying to reach most customers and most guys now are pretty thin and box shape. I find after a few washes I have me some sleeves that are a bit too short with the slim fits, normally I'm 36 if shoulder is 19.5 and no shrinkage happens, slim is 19.25 which is doable if nothing shrinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                    Same boat as me. They did not produce any 38S contemporary in the recent fall crop of sportcoats. I was not pleased.
                    Though it seems quite a few people have been hassling Rick, so I'm hopeful they come back for the future.
                    I share your pain! (36S contemporary, here)

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                      [MENTION=15212]otoba[/MENTION] How long are your arms? I'm a 34.5" and had to have the sleeves on the S&M 40R jackets taken up about an inch to show 1/4" sleeve cuff.

Which J.Crew 40R did you try on? How does the Ludlow fit? The measurements are close, so that would give you an idea of how the S&M stuff will fit. Or have you tried Suit Supply? Their Havana measures basically the same as the S&M Contemporary fit.

I'd say this: if your rear is pretty much covered and the bottom of the jacket hits right around the knuckle on your thumb, you should be A-Ok.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting!
                      Update:

Many thanks for the help and comparisons ... all good to know and very much appreciated

I wear a 35" sleeve in Lands End and Brooks Bros, seems to land just right in most cases.

I tried a 40R in the S&M brown tweed. The sleeves were too short, showing over an inch of cuff, and would need letting out; the length of the whole jacket was ok, a tad short, but ok, as you say. I decided that it was not worth the expense of the full-price jacket plus tailoring. Maybe in a future sale ... and I guess I should try a 42L now that S&M have released those ...

Comment

Originally posted by otoba View Post
                        Update:

Many thanks for the help and comparisons ... all good to know and very much appreciated

I wear a 35" sleeve in Lands End and Brooks Bros, seems to land just right in most cases.

I tried a 40R in the S&M brown tweed. The sleeves were too short, showing over an inch of cuff, and would need letting out; the length of the whole jacket was ok, a tad short, but ok, as you say. I decided that it was not worth the expense of the full-price jacket plus tailoring. Maybe in a future sale ... and I guess I should try a 42L now that S&M have released those ...
                        You probably need a 40L to be a great fit. We are thinking about rolling some out for spring. But final decision hasn't been made yet.

Comment

Gents,

Our new USD site rolled out today. So for all US customers you will now see all pricing in USD and all transactions will be in USD. No more converting from USD to CAD, so you can save on the bank fees!
                          Last edited by SpierMackay; November 9, 2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Do you have any info on just how spread your spread collar is. I'm enamored of the diamond weave shirt you have, but it only seems to come in full spread collar and I'm concerned it will look too broad on me. And also kicking myself for missing the deal you had recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                              Do you have any info on just how spread your spread collar is. I'm enamored of the diamond weave shirt you have, but it only seems to come in full spread collar and I'm concerned it will look too broad on me. And also kicking myself for missing the deal you had recently.
                              It's approx. 6.5" spread. Do you have a particularly round face? This is really the only face shape that a full spread can look funny with. Square, triangular and oval shapes are perfectly fine.

Comment

One Day Flash Sale on all remaining Botto Guiseppe Flannel Trousers: $79 CAD/$65 USD. Stocks are limited. Sale is part of our new Daily Flash Sale. Different item every day. Could be single item, a group of items or even an entire category. Check our Instagram daily for the deal.

https://www.instagram.com/spiermackay/

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/.../trousers.html

Comment

Working...
                                X