No announcement yet.

Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I'd want to go any shorter in the body than the Ludlow is, or narrower in the shoulders and waist. I'm a 38 short in the Ludlow and it needs absolutely no tailoring, not even a sleeve adjustment. Take the better part of an inch off the waist though and there'd probably be some pulling at the button and I'd have to have it let out. I'm not sure narrower shoulders would get it done either.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by mark4 View Post
      I don't think I'd want to go any shorter in the body than the Ludlow is, or narrower in the shoulders and waist. I'm a 38 short in the Ludlow and it needs absolutely no tailoring, not even a sleeve adjustment. Take the better part of an inch off the waist though and there'd probably be some pulling at the button and I'd have to have it let out. I'm not sure narrower shoulders would get it done either.
      The shoulder width is narrower and the body is roomier on contemporary Spier and Mackay than J. Crew Ludlow. I had to size up on the 44R Spier and Mackay Contemporary navy blazer (more than a year ago) in order for it to fit my shoulders. I haven't actually tried a Spier and Mackay 42R though. A Ludlow 42R is one of the best fits for me of all retailers. I think Rick said the suit jacket measurements are what you should use for the new sport coats, but you might want to wait until they update the measurements on the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillN View Post
        I've been doing some digging on this subject the last couple of weeks, these are the published measurements for S&M and Ludlow ... I'm actually considering posting on this, because it's frustrating as all get out.
        I feel your pain. Struggling with measurements is the worst part of purchasing clothes online. You really have to treat them like a rough guide. Some retailers intentionally misreport measurements, and err on the side of their clothes being roomier than reported. Some retailers report body measurements and others report garment measurements (they are very different). You can often buy the same size and style and get slightly different measurements (I've seen this with 2 of the retailers you mentioned).

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
          The shoulder width is narrower and the body is roomier on contemporary Spier and Mackay than J. Crew Ludlow. I had to size up on the 44R Spier and Mackay Contemporary navy blazer (more than a year ago) in order for it to fit my shoulders.
          I can verify this statement.

Comment

• For those who were curious my peacoat came in earlier this week. Haven't had a chance to try it on until today.

For reference I'm 5'7" and around 135lbs, normally a S&M slim 38s is a near a perfect OTR fit for me with the shoulders being ever so slightly too big and the sleeves too long. I decided to go with 38s for this and it seems to run much roomier all around than I expected. It can't really be seen that well in the pictures but around the waist I am swimming in the jacket. The shoulders are also too big for me (narrow shoulders club). That being said the chest feels pretty good, especially considering that I will at times wear layers underneath. I am considering sizing down to the 36s to solve most of the sizing issues but am concerned the chest would then be too tight.

Quality wise the fabric is really amazing. This jacket is a hell of a step up from my old J Crew bayswater which I love. Collar should stand up on its own in these windy New England winters with no problem. It keeps warmth in very well, another 5 minutes around the house in it and I may have started to sweat!

Hope this helps those who were curious. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Peacoat or weigh in with thoughts on the fit. Maybe [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] could even weigh in on the fit?

*still suck at taking photos of myself*

Comment

• The fit looks fine to me. Especially if you plan on wearing anything of substance underneath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                For those who were curious my peacoat came in earlier this week. Haven't had a chance to try it on until today.

For reference I'm 5'7" and around 135lbs, normally a S&M slim 38s is a near a perfect OTR fit for me with the shoulders being ever so slightly too big and the sleeves too long. I decided to go with 38s for this and it seems to run much roomier all around than I expected. It can't really be seen that well in the pictures but around the waist I am swimming in the jacket. The shoulders are also too big for me (narrow shoulders club). That being said the chest feels pretty good, especially considering that I will at times wear layers underneath. I am considering sizing down to the 36s to solve most of the sizing issues but am concerned the chest would then be too tight.

Quality wise the fabric is really amazing. This jacket is a hell of a step up from my old J Crew bayswater which I love. Collar should stand up on its own in these windy New England winters with no problem. It keeps warmth in very well, another 5 minutes around the house in it and I may have started to sweat!

Hope this helps those who were curious. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Peacoat or weigh in with thoughts on the fit. Maybe [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION] could even weigh in on the fit?

*still suck at taking photos of myself*

Looks fairly normal for outerwear. They are designed to fit looser than a suit jacket to accomodate heavier sweaters and layers. The shoulders are only marginally larger than our suits. Wear it around for a bit, let it break in a bit. The cloth is fairly stiff still and needs a bit to settle. But I can tell you, it's the real McCoy. They are designed to keep you warm, and not just a show piece.

Comment

• [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION] I'm the same height as you but 10 pounds more...comtemporary 36S fits me perfect off the rack (half an inch off the sleeves is all that is needed).

Comment

• any news on when the hopsack blazers will be restocked? I am in need of one, and also likely a navy suit. The stock has been strangely thin around the website for a while, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by jordan View Post
                      any news on when the hopsack blazers will be restocked? I am in need of one, and also likely a navy suit. The stock has been strangely thin around the website for a while, though.
                      Lot's of navy suits available now. Both our standard navy and the Guabello Bright Navy in 130's.

New VBC Mesh Hopsack has shipped, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Timeline on orders and keeping stocks topped up is tricky for a small business. Fabric can take the mill anywhere from a week to 90 days to deliver. The factory then takes up to 45 days to manufacture, then we need another 30 days shipping times. The whole process can take up to 6 months from the time we order cloth. We can only project out so much and allocate so much capital to one product/item at the moment.

We plan our purchases for the entire season as we have a capital budget that we allocate to the entire seasons purchase. As we grow and collect more data, we can plan better and project out further.
                      Last edited by SpierMackay; October 2, 2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                        Lot's of navy suits available now. Both our standard navy and the Guabello Bright Navy in 130's.

New VBC Mesh Hopsack has shipped, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Timeline on orders and keeping stocks topped up is tricky for a small business. Fabric can take the mill anywhere from a week to 90 days to deliver. The factory then takes up to 45 days to manufacture, then we need another 30 days shipping times. The whole process can take up to 6 months from the time we order cloth. We can only project out so much and allocate so much capital to one product/item at the moment.

We plan our purchases for the entire season as we have a capital budget that we allocate to the entire seasons purchase. As we grow and collect more data, we can plan better and project out further.

No worries, just wanted to be sure nothing bad was happening (closing, etc). Love your guys stuff, just need to get my hands on some more!

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. I can get a little OCD at times and end up overthinking stuff way too much. I will be sticking with the 38s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback everyone. I can get a little OCD at times and end up overthinking stuff way too much. I will be sticking with the 38s.
                            Good choice man - I think it looks solid. Were you layered up underneath when you snapped the pics, to mimic your actual winter attire I mean? If not, layer up and then I bet it feels more "right."

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Navy Blue in 40R. Thanks for the pics!

Comment

• Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                              Unfortunately, no 40L. We have been getting some requests recently, especially in the sportcoats, so we're def. looking in to expanding sportcoat sizing moving forward. Funny enough, we added the 42 Slim for this season, simply because too many guys just want to wear a "slim" fit.
                              Add me to the list of folks who would buy a 40L suit or sportcoat if you had more to choose from. I have to 40L suits from last season and they easily fit me better than any other suit. But I understand the lack of demand; as a 6'4" thin guy, there aren't too many of us.

Comment

• Gents, PANTS15 will get you 15% off pants through Monday. Unadvertised other than word of mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X