No announcement yet.

Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some sweet-looking tweed and moleskin sportcoats just went live on the S&M site.

Did they offer these last year? Are they as awesome as other S&M jackets?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=15212]otoba[/MENTION] -- I think it is new. I've been following the styleforum spier and mackay thread, and I'm pretty sure they are sourcing from some new fabric mills (at least for ready-to-wear online). I wasn't planning on buying anything this year, but I'm tempted. It all looks very nice.

Comment

They do look great... But no 40L that I can see

Comment

Originally posted by otoba View Post
          They do look great... But no 40L that I can see

Just FYI, I asked about the lack of 40L's on SF and received this PM.

"We discontinued 40L for the time being. It's a very slow and difficult selling size for us.

40L was not previously offered in Slim fit, only in contemporary. 42L does not come in the slim fit either, actually 42 does not come in a slim fit. Reason being, is that the Slim and Contemporary charts are made on different pattern blocks and grade differently. Size 42 is where the fits charts intersect and the 42 in both cuts are essentially the same. Hope that makes sense. The contemporary fit is a slimmer cut to begin with. "

I may try a 42L and have it tailored down if the shoulders fit appropriately.

-e

Comment

Unfortunately, no 40L. We have been getting some requests recently, especially in the sportcoats, so we're def. looking in to expanding sportcoat sizing moving forward. Funny enough, we added the 42 Slim for this season, simply because too many guys just want to wear a "slim" fit.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=6476]emynd[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]. I didn't realise I was so anomalous! Your 40L is darn near perfect fit OTR.

Comment

Originally posted by otoba View Post
                Thanks [MENTION=6476]emynd[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12087]SpierMackay[/MENTION]. I didn't realise I was so anomalous! Your 40L is darn near perfect fit OTR.

How tall are you? Where would a 40R hit as far as your bottom half? Does it even come close to covering your rear? Just curious, because the new "trend" is to wear slightly shorter jackets. If the length of the jacket covers most of your rear, I'd say you should be okay. You really wouldn't know for sure without trying on a 40R though.

For what it's worth, I am 6'1 and the 40R is just long enough, but I could certainly wear a 40L as well without looking odd. Suit Supply fitted me in a 40L when I visited, but the R is just fine IMO.

Comment

Good point. I really probably should definitely try a 40R and see...

I am 6'2"... Jacket length (obv) varies depending on the specific model, length of the jacket. and the overall structure.

E.g., I have a JCF linen jacket in medium that from the measurements should be too short, but I guess because of the lack of structure actually does ok, but usually JCrew 40R is too short in both the arms and back.

However, last year's JCrew 40R tweed coats were fine -- they ran long in the arms and back, and are, maybe as you say "just long enough", but definitely a hair shorter than is traditional. I am getting a better idea of what length looks best, but I guess it takes time to build up that awareness. Where I work in academia, the *cough* "trend" is still for jackets that run wide and long, at least in the faculty.

Comment

[MENTION=15212]otoba[/MENTION] How long are your arms? I'm a 34.5" and had to have the sleeves on the S&M 40R jackets taken up about an inch to show 1/4" sleeve cuff.

Which J.Crew 40R did you try on? How does the Ludlow fit? The measurements are close, so that would give you an idea of how the S&M stuff will fit. Or have you tried Suit Supply? Their Havana measures basically the same as the S&M Contemporary fit.

I'd say this: if your rear is pretty much covered and the bottom of the jacket hits right around the knuckle on your thumb, you should be A-Ok.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

Comment

This may have been asked and answered already and I did a search and found comparisons but not on size exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I have a couple of J Crew Ludlow jackets and two suits from J Crew (one is a Ludlow, the other is a DB number from their upscale Wallace and Barnes line though lest you think I'm made of money, I got it on steep discount. It's a killer suit). I'm a sucker for tweed so the Spier and Mackay tweed numbers Joe highlighted today are tempting. The question is I'm a 38 in J Crew...should I order a 38 in the S and M jackets? Any is the contemporary fit roomier or slimmer than the slim fit? Not sure which might fit my frame better. I'm 5'8" 154 lbs so not much extra around the middle.
                      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                        This may have been asked and answered already and I did a search and found comparisons but not on size exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I have a couple of J Crew Ludlow jackets and two suits from J Crew (one is a Ludlow, the other is a DB number from their upscale Wallace and Barnes line though lest you think I'm made of money, I got it on steep discount. It's a killer suit). I'm a sucker for tweed so the Spier and Mackay tweed numbers Joe highlighted today are tempting. The question is I'm a 38 in J Crew...should I order a 38 in the S and M jackets? Any is the contemporary fit roomier or slimmer than the slim fit? Not sure which might fit my frame better. I'm 5'8" 154 lbs so not much extra around the middle.
                        They are suppose to update their website soon with better sizing pages but I would say to order your J Crew size in slim vs. contemporary. Given that you can make your first sport coat or suit return for free, it is worth the chance.

Comment

The contemporary is roomier all around than the slim, extra waist, chest and even the sleeves are wider. Given that I would say you should go with the slim since you seem to fit into the Ludlow just fine.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
                            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

No 46L in the new sport coats either. Dammit.

Comment

I've been doing some digging on this subject the last couple of weeks, these are the published measurements for S&M and Ludlow for 36s and 38s:

Spier & MacKay Slim
                                Chest, Shoulder, Waist, Sleeve, Length
                                36s: 39, 17.3, 34.3, 23.4, 27.8
                                38s: 40.9, 17.7, 36.2, 23.8, 28.1

Spier & MacKay Contemp
                                Chest, Shoulder, Waist, Sleeve, Length
                                36s: 40.2 17.3 35 23.4 30.1
                                38s 41.7 17.7 37 23.8 30.5

JC Ludlow
                                Chest Shoulder Waist Sleeve Length

36s: 38.5 17.5 35.25 24.375 28.25
                                38s: 40.5 18.25 37.25 24.5 28.5

This doesn't actually jibe with what S&M has posted about the slim being slimmer than the Ludlow, at least in the chest, though it is more narrow in the waist and shoulder. YMMV. In trying on garments from J.Crew, JCF, BR and Suitsupply in the last week, the posted measurements vs actual fit don't seem to line up. I'm actually considering posting on this, because it's frustrating as all get out.
                                Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                                Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                                --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                                X