X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doublebatman
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    [MENTION=6664]Doublebatman[/MENTION] kudos for taking the comments in stride. It's definitely not easy to poor your thoughts and time into a project and field the questions and concerns from an outside audience but I think it's essential to refining the process.

Maybe it's because I love this kind of stuff (I've done company and product evaluations) and just finished watching SharkTank but I think you need to think through this project a bit more. You've admittedly created a product that solves your needs and your needs are unique. You've narrowed your potential customer base significantly with: a unique market focus (most guys don't track clothes your way), I'd say most guys (this community maybe excluded) don't have the volume of clothes you noted necessitating this item, and high entry price (you are targeting as a luxury item BUT people that want a luxury item want more than to do the work themselves in resetting a counter).

Think through who you are marketing the product to. It cannot be you with a common item that is a hanger with a counter. Then figure out how to incorporate the value add to make people tell their friends about the product to get word out. If you cannot get the word out then a product like this doesn't have a niche and doesn't move from a nice to maybe have to a need. What's the buzz that forces someone to tell their friends ... you gotta get this hanger it's made my life easier, etc.

Good luck.
    Thanks for taking the time to write that response, I definitely hear you. I have had numerous customer conversations that indicate this type of product isn't really for men, it is more geared towards women (a few have purchased and are using). The responses on this thread seems to echo what I have been experiencing 1st hand, some guys thinks it's cool but most wouldn't use it.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    [MENTION=6664]Doublebatman[/MENTION] kudos for taking the comments in stride. It's definitely not easy to poor your thoughts and time into a project and field the questions and concerns from an outside audience but I think it's essential to refining the process.

Maybe it's because I love this kind of stuff (I've done company and product evaluations) and just finished watching SharkTank but I think you need to think through this project a bit more. You've admittedly created a product that solves your needs and your needs are unique. You've narrowed your potential customer base significantly with: a unique market focus (most guys don't track clothes your way), I'd say most guys (this community maybe excluded) don't have the volume of clothes you noted necessitating this item, and high entry price (you are targeting as a luxury item BUT people that want a luxury item want more than to do the work themselves in resetting a counter).

Think through who you are marketing the product to. It cannot be you with a common item that is a hanger with a counter. Then figure out how to incorporate the value add to make people tell their friends about the product to get word out. If you cannot get the word out then a product like this doesn't have a niche and doesn't move from a nice to maybe have to a need. What's the buzz that forces someone to tell their friends ... you gotta get this hanger it's made my life easier, etc.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    Fwiw I am working on an app to count wears. The button would be simpler than any method I've come up with, but it would probably need to use a hub to communicate.

Leave a comment:

• Doublebatman
    replied
    Wow, quite the feed back fairly quickly. Thanks to all for both positive and negative viewpoints, when creating new products it's no help when all you get is the phony "it looks great" responses.

[MENTION=12001]evanparker[/MENTION] to a few of your points, I wasn't doing this full time for a few months lol! This is a project on the side next to the day job. The initial concept was actually much more advanced than this current iteration, so much time was spent determining what should actually get built. For about 2 months the plan was to go straight to China and gear for mass production (of a more advanced product) but considering the resources that were needed I decided to scale back. Instead I built the minimum viable product to prove the idea quick and cheap before real money was spent.

To explain the thought process behind the product it might help to have some background on some of my personal habits. I work in a business environment where I am dressing up most days, I also work in an office so my clothes are rarely dirty after one or even two wears. Owning 20 some shirts and 10+ pants it's really hard to know how often I wear stuff, beyond keeping track of when to wash I like to not wear the same thing too often. For years I would manually track what I wore and would usually wash around wear 3 for shirts and wear 6 or 7 for pants. I didn't like relying on the smell test or look and feel test because I prefer things to be automatic. I see I've worn something x amount of times I know it's time to wash. I always thought it would be cool to see a hanger that could do this for me so I decided to just make it and see if anyone else was interested.

The way I envision this product would be used (based upon my own personal habits which I do realize the average person does not share).
    • Base status everything is clean, all hangers at 0
    • I wear a pair and pants and one shirt, take them off the hanger wear for the day
    • I get home and put the clothes back on the same hanger and then increment the button up one since I plan on re-wearing
    • I do this until I hit 3 for shirt and 7 for pants at which point I know it is time to wash
    • Once the shirt and pants are washed I then reset the hangers back to 0

It could be worth noting I bulk wash all my shirts at the same time so all hangers would be reset on wash day.

[MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] glad you mentioned the phone. Having this data paired to your cell phone via an app is really the long term vision. Along with just number of times worn there would also be a few more metrics tracked.

I do realize the cost is high, but that is because we are not mass producing in China, that is the goal eventually, if the concept can be proven. I should also throw in that the $29.99 includes shipping, the hangers on their own no shipping are $19.99, shipping these things is killer.
    Last edited by Doublebatman; January 21, 2016, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• C.Dubs
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    and I really don't know what you would have been doing for 3-4 months to make that fit on the hanger. Route a hole it? yes. That takes about... 50 seconds, including me going to finding an extension cord for my router, and opening a beer.
    Not exactly sure how this "feedback" is helpfully to anyone. But, I suppose, congratulations on your impressive routing abilities?

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    OK SO SAY I HAD 5 DIRTY SHIRTS IN THE LAUNDRY

when they come out of the laundry, how do I know they are going back on their correctly numbered hangers?

come to think of it why do I even want to know how many times i've worn something?

I believe it would go back on any hanger and you'd reset it to zero. Agree though, is the smell test or some internal clock that hard to manage?

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    OK SO SAY I HAD 5 DIRTY SHIRTS IN THE LAUNDRY

when they come out of the laundry, how do I know they are going back on their correctly numbered hangers?

come to think of it why do I even want to know how many times i've worn something?

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    It seems like an okay idea to me. The main problem is charging $30.

For $50–$100, one could get one of those Korean/Chinese hanger types with a built in deodorizer. $30 should at least have a fan or something.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    I love innovation but sadly I think this item is seeking to find a solution to a lack of a problem. At that cost, there is limited benefit to this user. For a smart hanger to work, I'd rather something integrate with my phone (working with a company that maybe picks up my dry-cleaning when it reaches a certain threshold), or make it button free based on motion etc.

I think your biggest problem is price point for benefit. Most don't attribute value to hangers when that could extra money could be better used towards more clothes etc. There needs to be some other value add for better organization etc.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    and I really don't know what you would have been doing for 3-4 months to make that fit on the hanger. Route a hole it? yes. That takes about... 50 seconds, including me going to finding an extension cord for my router, and opening a beer.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    is that really a thing someone would buy?

there are about a thousand scenerios I could think of when it wouldn't really work, but the biggest issue is probably just the price.

$30 for three hangers is pretty steep, especially if the improvement they bring is trivial. I can just buy the $0.68 made in china TALLY timer from ebay and use a double stick tape to attach it to an inexpensive hanger I already have.

Leave a comment:

• Doublebatman
    started a topic The Vamori Smart Hanger

The Vamori Smart Hanger

Hey Dappered Community,

I have been working on a product for the past few 3-4 months and it is certainly not a fully fledged company (yet) but I figured since it is related to men’s fashion (could be women’s as well) it would be a good idea to share it here with all of you.

It is called the Vamori Smart Hanger, a hanger designed to track how often you ware an article of clothing.

It’s always best to just checkout the item opposed to read a description so below are a few links where you can check it out (no company website yet).

Amazon
    Shirt: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AB06APC
    Suit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AB0YQ8K

Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Vamori

I would love to hear your open and honest feedback (and the wife or girlfriends, I have been getting some good feedback from women)!

Cole (aka Doublebatman)
Working...
X