Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JOHN DOE SHOES - goodyear welted shoes

Hello Dappered readers.

We are a brand offering affordable goodyear welted shoes made in an artisan workshop in Mexico with free shipping in the USA, Canada and Mexico, and $15 usd for the rest of the world. Some of you may already know us, we have been featured in a Dappered article and blogs that I'm sure some of you read.

We know that the "affordable quality goodyear welted shoe" topic is a very polarizing one, and there are as many supporters as there are naysayers. We undertsand and respect every opinion, we're here to discuss any subject and answer any question regarding our shoes or anything related to shoes and leathers.

Regards,
    Anibal
    www.johndoeshoes.com

Anibal,

Can you provide some information on your lasts? I can't find it anywhere on your site, but I'd love to know how your shoes fit and perhaps how they compare to other brands most of us are more familiar with.

Comment

Hello sir.

First of all thank you very much for your interest.
      All of our styles are made on the same last, except for two. The Galdi Penny Loafer comes in an E width and the 420 Boot comes in a last that runs half a size larger. Other than that the rest of our styles fit pretty much like a pair of AE in D width. As of now we're running a little low on the stock of many of our styles, we're working very hard to restock and launch new colors in the next 3-4 weeks along with a briefcase collection.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,
      Anibal

Comment

keep us updated when the new crop/colors come in. I liked the look and if it the quality is there, could be really great value.

Comment

Yes, please let us know when the new crop comes in. I'd like to give you guys a shot.

Originally posted by John Doe Shoes View Post
          Hello sir.

First of all thank you very much for your interest.
          All of our styles are made on the same last, except for two. The Galdi Penny Loafer comes in an E width and the 420 Boot comes in a last that runs half a size larger. Other than that the rest of our styles fit pretty much like a pair of AE in D width. As of now we're running a little low on the stock of many of our styles, we're working very hard to restock and launch new colors in the next 3-4 weeks along with a briefcase collection.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,
          Anibal

Comment

We will. I don't want this to sound as lame advertising but we as a young company are always evolving and making better products with each collection and these new leathers will be amazing, so it will be worth the wait. I'll post here once we have them ready.

Comment

Which tannery supplies your leathers and for which shoes?

Regards,
              Vic
              "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

We will. I don't want this to sound as lame advertising but we as a young company are always evolving and making better products with each collection and these new leathers will be amazing, so it will be worth the wait. I'll post here once we have them ready.
                I like the excitement.

Comment

Well short answer is Horween, Concurmex and Le Farc (2013 tannery of the year second place, just behind Red Wing Tannery).

Long answer

When we started we were a very tiny company, my brother and I started JDS with $10k usd. So we were not able to deal with large tanneries at that moment so we went with a small leather company with fair quality. Those are the shoes from our first collection. (the $135 usd), we got lucky and got featured by bloggers and the general consensus was that these were ok shoes considering the price and that they were goodyear welted but by no means these were AE or Meermins. And that wasn't our goal, we really want to leave no doubt about who offers the best value, so we knew we had a lot of work ahead. The first thing to change was to upgrade the leather, by that time we had sold enough shoes to deal with a larger tannery, and get better prices and that the minimum quantity orders wouldn't kill our flow of cash. So we went with Concurmex who is a very good tannery and the leather we bought them, comes from the best USA hides. The shoes made with that leather got very positive reviews everywhere, but we were still not satisfied. First impressions are very important and we kind of sensed that people would still think our shoes would be "ok" shoes, and we understand it because when something sounds too good to be true it seems fishy. So we decided to go with a renowned company and leather as CXL from Horween, to show people it's possible to make well crafted shoes from good leathers for affordable prices. It worked our CXL line has been a huge succes and things have been going great, so we have been growing pretty fast and recently we switched our calfskin supplier to Le Farc, whom I honestly think are one of the best tanneries in the world. They are huge tannery and supply a lot of high end brands who used to buy leather from Italian or French tanneries. Le Farc is on that same level of quality but with more affordable prices. That's the new collection of shoes we're working on.

Comment

Well short answer is Horween, Concurmex and Le Farc (2013 tannery of the year second place, just behind Red Wing Tannery).

Long answer

When we started we were a very tiny company, my brother and I started JDS with $10k usd. So we were not able to deal with large tanneries at that moment so we went with a small leather company with fair quality. Those are the shoes from our first collection. (the $135 usd), we got lucky and got featured by bloggers and the general consensus was that these were ok shoes considering the price and that they were goodyear welted but by no means these were AE or Meermins. And that wasn't our goal, we really want to leave no doubt about who offers the best value, so we knew we had a lot of work ahead. The first thing to change was to upgrade the leather, by that time we had sold enough shoes to deal with a larger tannery, and get better prices and that the minimum quantity orders wouldn't kill our flow of cash. So we went with Concurmex who is a very good tannery and the leather we bought them, comes from the best USA hides. The shoes made with that leather got very positive reviews everywhere, but we were still not satisfied. First impressions are very important and we kind of sensed that people would still think our shoes would be "ok" shoes, and we understand it because when something sounds too good to be true it seems fishy. So we decided to go with a renowned company and leather as CXL from Horween, to show people it's possible to make well crafted shoes from good leathers for affordable prices. It worked our CXL line has been a huge succes and things have been going great, so we have been growing pretty fast and recently we switched our calfskin supplier to Le Farc, whom I honestly think are one of the best tanneries in the world. They are huge tannery and supply a lot of high end brands who used to buy leather from Italian or French tanneries. Le Farc is on that same level of quality but with more affordable prices. That's the new collection of shoes we're working on.
                    Thank you for the quick reply. Keeping things transparent like you are doing now will definitely help keep customers feeling that things aren't too good to be true. I own quite a few pairs of Allen Edmonds dress shoes and Wolverine 1000 Mile boots but would like to give your company a try as it doesn't hurt to have an inexpensive quality daily driver that you're not invested too much into.

Have you thought about releasing an austerity brogue? Several of the members on the board brought up this style not too long ago and I'd like to give it a shot, but not at the price point of an Allen Edmonds.

Regards,
                    Vic
                    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                      Thank you for the quick reply. Keeping things transparent like you are doing now will definitely help keep customers feeling that things aren't too good to be true. I own quite a few pairs of Allen Edmonds dress shoes and Wolverine 1000 Mile boots but would like to give your company a try as it doesn't hurt to have an inexpensive quality daily driver that you're not invested too much into.

Have you thought about releasing an austerity brogue? Several of the members on the board brought up this style not too long ago and I'd like to give it a shot, but not at the price point of an Allen Edmonds.

Regards,
                      Vic

As a small company we try to release the styles we think to be best sellers. As of now I would say we have a very complete array of styles and an austerity brogue is certainly on our plans. Unfortunately we are already done for this year regarding new launches, we will restock and launch new leathers and colors with the current styles. But we will release new ones in the first months of 2015 and the austerity brogue is one of them.

Comment

Hello Dappered readers.
                        Weeks ago some of you asked me to let you know once our shoes were restocked. Well we have restocked the best selling styles and we have added some new leather options to those styles. Right now, during Cyber monday we are running a sale. Buy 2 get 3 products with code: GETJOHNDOE

www.johndoeshoes.com

As always, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Anibal

Comment

Working...
                        X