Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jcrew unstructured linen sportcoat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jcrew unstructured linen sportcoat

I saw the blazer on dappered and very interested in picking this up.

http://m.jcrew.com/mt/www.jcrew.com/...0hygprcWAGcnfQ

What would one wear this with? Lighter shade chinos? Blue jeans? Also now that I live in Texas would this be a good blazer for the humid summers?
    **Previously itsm3json, from the old dappered site**

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it looks a bit odd with the light pants the model is wearing. Not enough contrast for me. I think it would look ok with just about any color out there, as long the pants aren't almost the same color as the jacket.

As far as a good blazer for Texas summers, it depends on what they mean by partially lined. A lot of the benefits of linen are lost when you line something with polyester (I'm assuming it is polyester, didn't see it noted).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thx for your reply.

Would depending on the lining would which would be a better fit for humid Texas summers? The linen blazer above or a cotton twill: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...6083/56083.jsp

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Getting off the topic of blazers specifically for a moment...

I lived in the Middle East for a couple years, and endured three brutal summers. When the temperature gets over 100, some insulation against your skin will keep your skin at 95ish degrees (or whatever it is) while the outside air is 110, 120, whatever.

If you're not going to be outside for extended periods of time, and you're just moving from your car to a building, I would think either would be similar to the other. The linen would breathe better, but that could also mean it will bring it 120 degree air. But once you start sweating, that sweat will dry faster, cooling you off. The cotton may keep you cooler longer when it is that hot, but once you start sweating, you'll have a wet, heavy cotton jacket on. But that may be over-thinking it.

My concern with "partially lined" is that sweaty polyester is extremely uncomfortable.

For what it is worth, I took advantage of the sale and ordered the linen one last night. I can tell you how it is lined when I get it, but you may have missed the sale by then. I'm back living in NY now, and the idea of some polyester doesn't bother me as much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think linen is much, much better for humid environments. Like Mike said, it can dry much faster than cotton. You get cotton wet, it stays wet. I sweat in humidity, and I've noticed that when I am sweaty as hell in a linen shirt but I step into air conditioning, it dries out in short order. I tend to wear linen jackets in the summer, since I'm in Georgia. I also got some linen shirts last summer and they worked well.

You want very minimal lining. If you can find unlined, or perhaps chambray lining or some other slick cotton fabric partial lining of the sleeves and yoke, that's the best. Polyester/acetate will make you sweat. This LLBean linen blazer, for instance, has some partial seersucker lining. That's not bad.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72773...lazer&subrnd=0

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I found this one in store on sale last week for about $120: http://m.jcrew.com/mt/www.jcrew.com/...8973/38973.jsp

It's pretty nice and I've gotten compliments on it every time I've worn it since. Wore it in ~80 deg weather in San Fran with no problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ordered both the linen and cotton twill yesterday figured I can decide which one to keep once I see and try both on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Let us know how you iked the linen one. I was thinking about getting it. Might need to just try to find it in stores.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine arrived yesterday (the linen one). Only the sleeves are lined with polyester. The rest of it, including any other lining, looks like it is linen. So if you plan to wear short sleeve shirts ever, it could get sticky at times. If you'll always have a long sleeve cotton shirt on, it may not be ideal, but probably isn't too bad. For what it's worth, I have a Brooks Brothers linen jacket that is similar in construction, although the sleeve lining is bemberg, which is at least a natural fiber (although still rayon). Of course, on their best sale, it is still 2x the cost of the J Crew jacket.

I also ordered the oxford cotton blazer at the same time, and that has a sleeve lining that is 50/50 cotton linen. Actually I think it was 51/49 or something, but I don't feel like checking. Overall, it feels like a lighter weight jacket, although the difference may not be noticeable in the real world.

I threw both on over a t-shirt, fit was decent, sleeves will need to be shortened, but that might be it. I've got to get the creases out from shipping, and then I'll try them on again like I would wear them.

Side question - the linen jacket came with a triangle shaped piece of material buttoned under the left collar. The oxford cotton one had the same size and shaped piece of material buttoned inside the waist on the right side. Anyone know why these are in there?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    They are there so you can pop the lapels up and close them together at the neck. The lapels should have the corresponding buttons on their undersides. Dunno what it's called though