Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FIT ?] Banana Republic Tailored Fit vs J.Crew Ludlow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[FIT ?] Banana Republic Tailored Fit vs J.Crew Ludlow

How do they compare? BR's tailored fit blazers fit me very well, but i haven't had much experience with the ludlow. I tried the thompson at a j.crew factory, but i was rather disappointed with the piece overall.

normally i'm a 42r in a br tailored fit blazer.

on a side note, a club monaco 42 (grant fit) also fits me very well.

anyone else have any experience? the j.crews in san diego are alarmingly bad for menswear so i don't get much of an opportunity to test things out so i end up buying smaller things online.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I personally think the Thompson is an excellent suit for the money. I'm not sure what anyone else could want in terms of fit or material at that price point.

That said, it's hard to know what you're looking for from the Ludlow line.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have a pretty normal drop, about 6" and I had to have the waist taken in on my 38R Thompson. 39" chest here. It was just enough that it bothered when it was untailored. Also almost everyone will need to have the sleeves tailored on the Thompson so you factor in the $70 or so for tailoring and I was out about $255. A Ludlow in 38S fits me without the need for tailoring. Not sure what you can get those for on a good sale.
    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I'm also a 42R in BR tailored fit blazers and I bought a 42 in the Thompson. I had to size up in the ludlow blazer that I tried on. I actually bought a cotton ludlow off of eBay for $16 and its a L. That said, I did have to have the waist brought in and the sleeves shortened on it. I will also say that while BR tailored blazers fit me perfectly, except for the sleeves, their suit jackets fit like crap. I'm not even sure if there is supposed to be a difference in cut, but I tried from 40-44 in three different suits and none of them fit right in the shoulders. Not really sure what's up with that, but it sucked because the suits are pretty nice IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redford View Post
    I have a pretty normal drop, about 6" and I had to have the waist taken in on my 38R Thompson. 39" chest here. It was just enough that it bothered when it was untailored. Also almost everyone will need to have the sleeves tailored on the Thompson so you factor in the $70 or so for tailoring and I was out about $255. A Ludlow in 38S fits me without the need for tailoring. Not sure what you can get those for on a good sale.
    I'm not sure you can even get the Ludlow jacket for $255 on sale (unless you're an uncommon size and score one off eBay), which is what makes the Thompson so popular, at least IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a wool/cotton blend BR blazer in a 36R that fits me absolutely perfectly. I have an unstructured Ludlow jacket in size small and it has tiny shoulders and sides that would fit if I gained 50 pounds.

Regardless, I can't buy suiting at J Crew.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyTim View Post
    I have a wool/cotton blend BR blazer in a 36R that fits me absolutely perfectly. I have an unstructured Ludlow jacket in size small and it has tiny shoulders and sides that would fit if I gained 50 pounds.

I have a Ludlow blazer in 36r that fits almost perfectly off the rack, with only the sleeves shortened, as well as an unstructured Ludlow blazer in size small. The latter fits well in the shoulders, but as SlyTim said, the waist is somewhat wide. I had it taken in but the jacket still feels a little large. Never bought a jacket from BR, but I have tried on 36R tailored fit several times and they've always seemed to fit great. If I had to compare, would say that the shoulders on the Ludlow jackets (in 36r) fit ever so slightly wider than BR, but both are miles slimmer than anything at Macy's.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyTim View Post

That's weird. I own a BR tailored fit in 36R and an unstructured Ludlow in S and both fit me quite well. I've had friends/acquaintances specifically compliment the fit of each of them, in fact. The BR one I had the sleeves shortened and the Ludlow didn't need any alterations (but I thrifted it and suspect the sleeves were shortened).

Edit (after reading Onerany's reply): Maybe my thrifted Ludlow S also had the sides taken in? I'm 5'8", 155 lbs.
    Last edited by Idle_Hands; April 13th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I find BR tailored fit to be snugger off the rack, especially through the chest and shoulders. But I only own two BR jackets and one Ludlow jacket, so I'm not exactly working off a scientifically valid survey size.
    BenR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the response guys
    appreciate it tons