Thread: Loafer/shoe advice needed

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

Loafer/shoe advice needed

I got these relatively cheap off Ebay. They seemed lightly used - the inside had no marks of wear, there's 1 small mark on the outside (which can be seen in the bottom pic), and the soles look like they had been worn a few times. I have a few basic questions since I'm not used to buying pre-owned shoes or wearing loafers.

1. I'm assuming these are meant to be worn without socks but I just wanted to doublecheck.

2. I'm not sure if these are dressier loafers or not so what should I be wearing these with - chinos, jeans, etc?

3. I swabbed the inside of them with some rubbing alcohol and then used some conditioner/cleaner on the outside and sole dressing around the edges. Is there anything else you'd recommend - particularly on the disinfecting side since I'm a bit of a germophobe?

4. My heel keeps slipping out as usually I'm a C width and these don't come smaller than a D. I've already tried the heel grips that Joe had linked to a while back and they didn't help. I was thinking of trying a tongue pad next. Any other ideas or what's worked for you in the past

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Those would work fine with Chinos. I also see no reason why they couldn't be worn with jeans or with/without socks. They look slightly casual in my opinion. Personally, I would lean sockless myself.

These are slightly darker, but you get the idea.

Last edited by TheMimbo; April 11th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    nice find there. These should be really versatile,- from shorts to a casual suit/blazer. You could probably get some AE color cream for the scratches. As far as the germs besides the alcohol there is disinfectant spray, or some people put them in a ziplock and leave in the freezer for a day or two. As for the slipping try a loafer sock (this is also great for sanitary purposes) to take up that extra space. Enjoy!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say they lean a little more casual than they lean formal. The contrast stitching and the moc toe are really what keep them fairly casual.

I'll second jwest in terms of their versatility as well as for disinfectant. I'm not sure what bowling alleys use to disinfect their rent-able shoes (Lysol?) but there's certainly sprays out there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would think you'd want to search for a real disinfectant. I would be afraid rubbing alcohol would dry out the leather (from the inside out).

Didn't Joe post a loafer chart not too long ago? Can't remember if Venetian loafers were on there but they tend to run on the casual side. Can be worn with or without socks, depending on your pants / shorts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    I really need AcousicFoodie to post and comment on the disinfecting part since he buys so many thrifted shoes.

Thanks for reminding me about that matrix Joe did a few weeks back. Looks like he has the Venetian loafers dead center between casual and dressy.
    http://dappered.com/2013/03/the-loafer-matrix/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Vicious, I asked a similar question regarding disinfecting/cleaning the innards of some thrifted shoes a little while back. I *think* LesserBlackDog mentioned wiping the insides with an alcohol/water mix. Lemme try to find the post/replies. There was likely more advice from others too, probably AcousticFoodie. I'll grep for it now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Yup, that was probably me. You can also try freezing the shoes for a few days.

The main thing to be wary of is that a lot of the products that can kill or remove bacteria (like rubbing alcohol) can also be very damaging/drying to the leather, so you will want to use some discretion in terms of concentrations and amounts of whatever products you choose to use. And be sure to thoroughly condition the leather afterward.

In general, loafer socks are a great way to get the "sockless" look while maintaining comfort, fit, moisture management, and creating a barrier between whatever might be living in the shoe and whatever might be living on your feet. This will also help keep the shoe interiors much cleaner over time. I'd highly recommend buying a few pairs.
    BenR

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Yup, that was probably me. You can also try freezing the shoes for a few days.
    I thought so, Lesser. Thanks again for the advice back then. I cleaned those Florshiems up per your recommendation of diluted rubbing alcohol wipes, and then did a black polish deal on them, for that eggplant kinda vibe. It also filled in a little of the weak/thin burgundy coloring, after I cleaned and conditioned the outsides.

Anyway, I *did* find the thread. Here it is:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...light=thrifted

Cool find, Vicious!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    What's that spray stuff they use at the bowling alley?