Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AE McTavish - talk me off the ledge?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

AE McTavish - talk me off the ledge?

In the DestinationXL sale Joe posts about today, the Allen Edmonds McTavish is available in bourbon and the sale would put it in the $230 neighborhood. That shoe in that color would actually fill a gap in my shoe collection nicely (a quality wingtip in a versatile color that I can wear casually and business casually). Is the deal worth jumping on? Also, they only have size 10 available in wide. I wear a 9.5-10 depending on the shoe. I have a pair of Neumoras in 10D that fit well, if slightly large (but no comfort issues). I've read that the McTavish is on a last that can run a bit narrow. Will I be bummed out about the size of these?

I can be pretty easily nudged in either direction, so soliciting advice could be totally foolish, but nevertheless...any help?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    that sounds like a lot of fit questions, and you are dealing with destinationxl not ae. i'd be afraid of a fit issue (and a possible return issue)

question about your neumoras- do you normally wear 10D in other AE models? how loose is it on your feet? if you could go back would you size down? thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    @Shomas - I have the Elgin (brogued cap-toe vs the wingtip), and believe it's built on the same last as the McTavish. It seems to fit slightly large in my size of 9D: there is a little more room than my Strand, Fifth Ave and Hale in the same size, but not in an unwearable way.

I really like that they have a more casual look, and I have actually been coveting a pair of McTavish's in black ala Vicious.

I think the Neumora seems to wear a little larger as well, so would think that the McTavish might be comparable. Good luck with your decision! (Do it!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post
    that sounds like a lot of fit questions, and you are dealing with destinationxl not ae. i'd be afraid of a fit issue (and a possible return issue)

question about your neumoras- do you normally wear 10D in other AE models? how loose is it on your feet? if you could go back would you size down? thanks
    Good point. For what it's worth, I was able to get Nordstrom to price match a deal on some weird shoe webstore that was running a crazy promotion about a year ago. I called in to their customer service, and the looked at the website, and matched the price, to include free shipping. This might be a route to go. Also, I'd recommend trying Amazon, just to make sure. Sometimes shoes in a particular size are priced WAY down; might get lucky.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I think it runs a bit big as well. My true size with most AE stuff is a 9C. When that's not available, I either have to go with a 9D (Aberdeens and Malverns) or a 9B. The 9B is usually a bit too tight for me, but worked fine with the McTavish and Neumoks (although I ended up returning those). So I don't think I'd worry about it running on the narrow side.

You live in NYC though so I'd try to run in to an AE store if you get a chance and try them on there first. There has to be one within 10 miles of you.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post

These are fair points. Exactly what I and my wallet need. I have limited experience with AE shoes, actually. My other pairs are both loafers and both 9.5C. The Cole suede loafers actually fit more loosely than the Neumoras. The other pair (a thrift score of indeterminate model) fit just about perfectly, maybe slightly tightly in the vamp. And I think the fit on the Neumoras is close to perfect - especially now that they're broken in. There's room for an insole, but that's fine because I prefer to put one in anyway.

I suppose I should find some time to actually walk a few blocks to the nearest Allen Edmonds store and actually try the damned McTavishes on. Having the right fit will probably be worth foregoing the deal (and I'll save on shipping).
    Last edited by Shomas; April 11th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Shomas, both of the Allen Edmonds that I own from the rough collection (McTavish and McNeil) have not held up well compared to my calf leather shoes. I would go so far as to say that they will be unwearable in another year, giving a total life of two years. I can take some pictures if that would be helpful.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I find AE extremely over rated and inconsistant.
    This is based on my Strawfut fit amazing and still does and I was like GREAT! ordered a bunch more, all rub my heel slightly, tried a C width and still have same problem. Before anyone mentions last, I have Fifth Ave and Strands which are identical last.

Shoepassion or meermin cost less
    Mantorri does custom shoes with a coupon for same price.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    Shomas, both of the Allen Edmonds that I own from the rough collection (McTavish and McNeil) have not held up well compared to my calf leather shoes. I would go so far as to say that they will be unwearable in another year, giving a total life of two years. I can take some pictures if that would be helpful.
    Interesting (and, obviously, crappy for you). Have you treated them any differently?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find my AE's to be holding up quite well, although I have had some issues finding the perfectly fitting shoe--which is more an issue of my feet than a problem with AE. After a somewhat painful breakin period, the Park Aves in 9E fit very well, whereas the 9E in McTavish for me has been honestly a bit too wide, particularly in the heel (and possibly a touch short on the outside toe area, but that may be my imagination). If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gotten a 9.5D instead for the McTavish. The 9.5D in the Byron has been fitting pretty well. Live and learn I guess.