Thread: Alden/JCrew/first post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alden/JCrew/first post

Hello gents,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and tips for quite some time, and now feel like I finally have something to add. I recently celebrated a birthday, and received a more than generous gift of Alden Indy's from my lovely girlfriend. JCrew did not have my size available online leading up to my birthday, so I received a gift card to be used "only for the boots"(I was tempted to go on a mini shopping spree). I called JCrew and they found the boots at an out of state store to be shipped direct to my house. So far, so good. I received the boots a few days later, and they were great. Comfortable right out of the box. After about 4 wears over a few weeks, I decided to give them a good wipe down and change the laces. Then I discovered this....

The stitching was coming undone, separating the upper from the tongue and lining. This is definitely not the quality I was expecting from Alden. I'm wondering if these could have been seconds that just slipped through the cracks, or if this is a not-so-rare problem?

I also wanted to quickly share my experience with JCrew customer service. I called customer service immediately after I noticed the issue. I told them what had happened and they said they would call me back momentarily. They located another pair in my size at another out of state store and put them on hold for me. The customer service rep told me to return them in store the next day and she would call me back at a convenient time to process the new transaction. They took them back without issue and my new boots were ordered. They offered free overnight delivery for my troubles and apologized multiple times for any inconvenience. Overall, pretty good experience dealing with their customer service.

Sorry for the novel. Has anyone had/heard of this kind of issue with Alden? I've been more than happy with the quality of my Allen Edmonds and Grenson shoes up to this point. For the extra money, my first experience with Alden(had the boots not been a gift, I would have never been able to justify paying $500 for them) was a bit troublesome. Bad luck, or more typical than I would expect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome Anton! Even Alden is subject to faulty shoes every now and then that get past QC. Congrats on your new shoes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the boards, Anton. Those Indys are gorgeous shoes. Congrats! Glad to hear JCrew was quick to respond to the issue you had; I've been pretty impressed with their customer service in general.

Super Moderator nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If that were to happen out of warranty, I would tie a knot close to the leather and trim the tail. On cheap boots, I'll use a lighter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    Welcome Anton! Even Alden is subject to faulty shoes every now and then that get past QC. Congrats on your new shoes!
    Alden is actually fairly notorious for poor quality control. Send them back until you get ones you're happy with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping the new pair is issue free.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    J.Crew customer service has been phenomenal for me. I'm glad you've had a similar experience..