Thread: Decorating the first Bachelor pad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Decorating the first Bachelor pad.

I'm scheduled to move into my own place under my name, and with no roommate, this weekend. I wanted to poke everyones brain on what "look" you go for when you're decorating your space? The Nirvana posters from high school are long gone and I'm trying to find a way to convey the same message in my clothes, in my decor.

She'd be really dissapointed if she thought she got some swank hunk in a well fitting suit and came home to my mattresses on the floor.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Clean and organized with furniture where there's supposed to be furniture, and that takes up the space. Beyond that, whatever pieces that you like, just like your clothing.

If this is your first place, this site may be a little too much, but I personally like Apartment Therapy. Lots of different ideas, bunch of DIY, and frequently updated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    My only advice is don't buy a couch online unless you are able to sit on the exact one first. The is nothing more miserable than sitting on a couch that looks nice but you can feel every board it was made with because the cushions are too thin.

I personally like minimal styling but my girlfriend will disagree and this is one of those things where my opinion doesn't matter. The only thing I was able to choose was my dresser.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I think dark woods and leather, with a minimalist theme, creates a fairly masculine space.

You also need to think about what you want to do with the space. I've grown away from centering my space around TVs (the college and immediately post-college years), and more towards social space. That may or may not fit your lifestyle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am a fan of a lot of the modern style clean lined furniture. Clean and organized is the key to looking a bit more adult.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD91 View Post
    You also need to think about what you want to do with the space. I've grown away from centering my space around TVs (the college and immediately post-college years), and more towards social space. That may or may not fit your lifestyle.
    This is something I'm strongly considering. I don't watch much television outside of football season, so I see no need for the room to be predicated by the position of the television.

Anyone have suggestions on colors? Brown is flexible, but I feel like too much of it makes me feel like I didn't try. Blue or red send the right message? I may post pictures of the place once I get some of my existing furniture moved in this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My girlfriend and I took quite a bit of inspiration from Restoration Hardware when we were planning to decorate our place. While out of our price range, it still provided a solid foundation of ideas in how to pair leathers/creams/greys/wood, etc. Might be a bit monotone to some, or too trendy or stylized, but I think they provide a solid color palette for well-put-together, younger guys.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfranklin View Post
    This is something I'm strongly considering. I don't watch much television outside of football season, so I see no need for the room to be predicated by the position of the television.

Anyone have suggestions on colors? Brown is flexible, but I feel like too much of it makes me feel like I didn't try. Blue or red send the right message? I may post pictures of the place once I get some of my existing furniture moved in this weekend.
    I do browns for wooden furniture and leather, and a dark red for curtains, placemats, things like that. I've been really happy with it. Of course some blacks here and there for things that are metal. I've been living with it for a few years, and I really like it. So have others who stop by. A bright red or blue would be risky, I would think, but either in a more subdued version of the color would be manageable.