Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job interview suit: pants with no break okay?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Job interview suit: pants with no break okay?

I just got a new suit in the grant fit from club monaco(clearance sale). I'm looking to use it as an interview suit as opposed to my super baggy jos. a banks one. The CM suit is fairly slim fitting and I would like to compliment that with no break in the pants with or without it cuffed. However, would this setup be too fashionable for an interview? I'm finishing up my Masters in Philosophy and am looking to work for a few years before starting my phd, so I'll probably be applying to a lot of different career fields. I'm hoping the suit will be appropriate across the board, at least most of it

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No break on a job interview suit is perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)
    I'd probably lean more toward a half-break than a no-break for an interview suit. But no-break is fine, as long as the pants aren't so short that you show sock while standing.

Remember - an interview is a time to show your competence, expertise, and professionalism, not your fashion-forward dress sense.
    BenR

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoondaddy View Post
    I just got a new suit in the grant fit from club monaco(clearance sale). I'm looking to use it as an interview suit as opposed to my super baggy jos. a banks one. The CM suit is fairly slim fitting and I would like to compliment that with no break in the pants with or without it cuffed. However, would this setup be too fashionable for an interview? I'm finishing up my Masters in Philosophy and am looking to work for a few years before starting my phd, so I'll probably be applying to a lot of different career fields. I'm hoping the suit will be appropriate across the board, at least most of it
    I think it depends on your part of the country. I am in Southern California and work for a conservative company and industry and in the last year I've conducted about a half dozen interviews. The way we interview trainees is you go through two one hour interviews with, each with two people. Then the 4 interviewers get together and debrief on our thoughts on the candidate. Never once did someone say in that panel of four people say "did you see what he/she was wearing?!" What gets comments is "can you believe that guy took his jacket off and leaned back in the chair?"

So that's a longwinded way of saying I don't think most people in most industries will notice something as nuanced as break, unless like LBD said, if you're showing lots of sock when you stand/walk and you highlight it with bright socks. If you have a well fitting suit, nice shoes and a cohesive outfit, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Ian619; March 14th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks, no break without showing sock it is. Cheers

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    ... no-break is fine, as long as the pants aren't so short that you show sock while standing.

Remember - an interview is a time to show your competence, expertise, and professionalism, not your fashion-forward dress sense.
    I totally agree with this. No break is fine, but make sure it's truly no break and not less than none. Also, keep your socks conservative - with no break they are likely to show at some point, if only a little.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    There is nothing unprofessional about no-break. In fact, I think it looks more professional than a break that puddles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No break is fine as long as you don't show sock when standing. I prefer no break and no cuff in my pants.

Super Moderator nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The reason it's even a question is because no break is a bit fashion forward in and of itself. Normal on Dappered Threads, sure, but in terms of the world?

With Philosophy, one cool thing is that you can play the eccentric. =)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But in terms of the world, most interviewers won't even notice as long as they don't turn out too short or too baggy.