Thread: Thoughts on a type of style?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thoughts on a type of style?

Hi i've been seeing on a few TV shows a look similar to this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...98248079_n.jpg

This photo is just an example but usually the look is similar in that its a blank T-shirt in some color and over it a buttoned shirt opened not closed.

I was wondering what is your thoughts about it? specifically for younger people (In their 20's) and of course as a casual look but maybe a bit more dressy then just a T-shirt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Reminds me of this guy's look:
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._barone_01.png

Ditch the undershirt and button up for a cleaner look. Don't worry, it's still very casual.
    Last edited by Kennedy190; February 19th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say it is no more dressy than just a T-shirt, since the T-shirt is completely exposed. If you button it up, it becomes more dressy, since the T will be hidden.

If you want a more cleaned up casual look, replace the T with a henley or similar, and button the shirt up most of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its a style that was big in the 90's - not so much anymore (unless your working around your home/apt.)
    I used to do in univeristy (sometimes with sweat pants for that ultra causal look of "im too busy to care how I look" look)
    t-shirts though would only be white or black- not blue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not a "type of style." its just laziness. do not emulate it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Personally, I think it looks terrible. And no, this is not an "only looks good on young people look" because I'm under 20. The problem is that by leaving your shirt unbuttoned, you are basically abandoning all the premises of good fit, because the unbuttoned shirt is "baggy" (even if it fits well, you're adding another foot of "material" to the waist by the foot gap between the buttons) and it just flops around and it looks sloppy. I advise heavily against it. I suggest you button up to achieve that good fit; as for the tee shirt underneath, that's going to be a matter of personal preference. Lots of guys say it doesn't look good because it ruins the streamlined silhouette vertically, although I do on occasion throw a pink tee on under a green plaid buttonup. Regardless of your stance on this, the buttons are there for a reason. Button up!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jake89 View Post
    its a style that was big in the 90's - not so much anymore
    I agree on the first part for sure (I used to rock the unbuttoned shirt all the time back in the day), but as the the second, I have been seeing it again more and more lately. That being said, I don't see myself doing it this go around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by printyra View Post
    its not a "type of style." its just laziness. do not emulate it.
    This

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    The analogy I see in my head is that you can wear a t-shirt and button-up as a sort of ultra-casual analog to the normal shirt and jacket. Just as a jacket looks sloppy when left unbuttoned, so does the button-up shirt look sloppy when you leave it unbuttoned over a t-shirt. Button up a few of the middle buttons to give yourself some more shape.

It goes without saying that both the shirt and t-shirt should be well-fitted.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; February 19th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    BenR

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Yup, it's an old 90's look popular with the grunge movement. Ever hear of a little band called "Nirvana"?

I don't think anyone who is into style wants a look associated with "grunge".
    Last edited by JGL; February 19th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.